PDA

View Full Version : Would you get a Campaign for Liberty branded credit card?

Mahkato
07-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Would you get a credit card with the C4L logo on it that donated around 0.5% of purchases to C4L?

NEPA_Revolution
07-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Maybe...

Jordan
07-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Yes, and I'd happily run every single purchase through it, both for me and my business.

I'd imagine that we could rack up a lot of money really quick for C4L... this is something that should be done ASAP.

Kludge
07-08-2009, 09:48 PM
I don't use credit, so..... no.

Austin
07-08-2009, 09:49 PM

this

Kotin
07-08-2009, 09:57 PM
could I get it on a debit card?

gls
07-08-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm all set on the credit card.

Does the CFL have an Amazon.com referral link? I'd use that.

tonesforjonesbones
07-08-2009, 10:20 PM
I would do a debit card but i guess that has to be thru a bank..so Nope. I'm sick of this credit bullcrap. tones

Akus
07-08-2009, 10:21 PM
I think that it will be the ultimate in cruel irony that the campaign to rid this country of debt, both financial and otherwise, would issue a credit card.

How about, before we attempt to make our governments solvent, we become solvent our selves? You know, cut up credit cards and don't buy things we do not have money for.

If you wanna make a world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change. We all know who sang these words, and we all know that those words are true.

tonesforjonesbones
07-08-2009, 10:23 PM
I did that song tonight at my gig...everyone in the restaurant was singing it with me..sigh. Like him or not..MJ made a huge impact. tones

aravoth
07-08-2009, 11:28 PM

that

Imperial
07-08-2009, 11:56 PM
I'd prefer debit, but I might use a credit card later on. I could try to convince others too.

nobody's_hero
07-09-2009, 05:05 AM
As long as they don't cooperate with one of the bailed out banks to implement it.

Oh, that really narrowed it down I guess. :p

Objectivist
07-09-2009, 05:18 AM
No, credit is slavery.

coyote_sprit
07-09-2009, 05:45 AM
Usury is wrong and the catholic church still has Vatican Credit Cards but on a serious note credit companies can kiss my ass.

brandon
07-09-2009, 05:53 AM
I'm surprised so many of you are anti-credit.

Credit is the cornerstone of a healthy capitalist economy.

I'd gladly get a CFL credit card.

specsaregood
07-09-2009, 06:11 AM
No, credit is slavery.

Credit is not slavery. Debt is slavery.

I wouldn't like the message sent by issuing a CFL Credit card; but I would use one. I just make sure to pay mine off in full every month.

Mort
07-09-2009, 07:12 AM
It just takes some personal discipline and you can actually benefit from credit cards. I pay them off every month and get the cash back benefits. You end up getting a free loan for a month.

Mahkato
07-09-2009, 07:57 AM
I probably would if they offered it, but it would probably be better just to get a card with better benefits (1-5% cashback) and donate that benefit instead. I think the 'charity' cards usually have a pretty low benefit to the target organization.

ItsTime
07-09-2009, 07:58 AM
No I do not support the Fed so I do not take out loans or use credit cards. Anyone who wants to end the fed and has loans is a hypocrite

specsaregood
07-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Anyone who wants to end the fed and has loans is a hypocrite

Or they want a own house for lots of good reasons and live in a world called reality where its pretty darn hard to save up to buy a house outright.

Mahkato
07-09-2009, 08:55 AM
No I do not support the Fed so I do not take out loans or use credit cards. Anyone who wants to end the fed and has loans is a hypocrite

Why stop at loans? Why not "anyone who wants to end the fed and has FRNs is a hypocrite"?

rp08orbust
07-09-2009, 08:57 AM

So is anyone who has an FDIC-insured bank account hypocritical? Escaping the influence of the Fed is impossible.

ItsTime
07-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Just like I thought. Most people have given up.

ItsTime
07-09-2009, 09:09 AM
So is anyone who has an FDIC-insured bank account hypocritical? Escaping the influence of the Fed is impossible.

Not to the extent of giving the banks $250k for a $150k house. Or 17k for a 12k car. Or 7 dollars for a 2 dollar coffee you put on your credit card.

ItsTime
07-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Or they want a own house for lots of good reasons and live in a world called reality where its pretty darn hard to save up to buy a house outright.

booo hooo its so hard! I need help mommy and daddy bank can I please have some money because its sooooooooooo hard. Its so hard to get health insurance mommy and daddy government give me health insurance. It is so hard to afford food mommy and daddy government give me food! blah blah blah

brandon
07-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Not to the extent of giving the banks $250k for a $150k house. Or 17k for a 12k car. Or 7 dollars for a 2 dollar coffee you put on your credit card.

If no one ever made/received interest paying loans we would still be in the stone age.

I might pay 17k for a 12k car, but now it is possible for me to get to work everyday and make 50k a year.

ItsTime
07-09-2009, 09:13 AM
If no one ever made/received interest paying loans we would still be in the stone age.

I might pay 17k for a 12k car, but now it is possible for me to get to work everyday and make 50k a year.

And they used your own money to help you become jobless. :eek:

Mort
07-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Taking a loan out for a house is something a reasonable person does, if they can afford it Just don't overpay for the house. You are no longer burning money on rent and you get a tax deduction.

ItsTime
07-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Taking a loan out for a house is something a reasonable person does, if they can afford it Just don't overpay for the house. You are no longer burning money on rent and you get a tax deduction.

The government and fed have you well trained to be a reasonable debt slave.

Mort
07-09-2009, 09:21 AM
The government and fed have you well trained to be a reasonable debt slave.

If rent I would pay for an apartment is around the same as my house payment, how am i a debt slave?

I am building equity in a house as opposed to just paying rent.

ItsTime
07-09-2009, 09:22 AM
If rent I would pay for an apartment is around the same as my house payment, how am i a debt slave?

I am building equity in a house as opposed to just paying rent.

The most laughable statement yet.

specsaregood
07-09-2009, 09:22 AM
booo hooo its so hard! I need help mommy and daddy bank can I please have some money because its sooooooooooo hard. Its so hard to get health insurance mommy and daddy government give me health insurance. It is so hard to afford food mommy and daddy government give me food! blah blah blah

Getting a LOAN for a piece of property or for an item is not the same as being GIVEN something. Maybe you don't understand the difference.

ItsTime
07-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Getting a LOAN for a piece of property for an item is not the same as being GIVEN something. Maybe you don't understand the difference.

You were GIVEN the loan. There is nothing more to understand. The bank could have said no. You had no real control over that. Need proof? Look at how many loans the banks are GIVING now. I think its you that doesnt understand.

Mort
07-09-2009, 09:25 AM
The most laughable statement yet.

Not as laughable as your lack of arguments for your point.

ItsTime
07-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Not as laughable as your lack of arguments for your point.

A house rarely gains VALUE it usually stays on par with inflation. There was an abnormal spike that we are coming off of now. Where millions of people LOST value in their home and will NEVER make it up.

Mort
07-09-2009, 09:29 AM
A house rarely gains VALUE it usually stays on par with inflation. There was an abnormal spike that we are coming off of now. Where millions of people LOST value in their home and will NEVER make it up.

Oh so a house stays on par with inflation. Where as your rent will always go up and the value of a dollar goes down. Seems like a hedge against the dollar going down in value to me as well.

specsaregood
07-09-2009, 09:29 AM
You were GIVEN the loan. There is nothing more to understand. The bank could have said no. You had no real control over that. Need proof? Look at how many loans the banks are GIVING now. I think its you that doesnt understand.

Oh really? I don't have control on whether or not to ACCEPT a loan? You aren't "given" a loan, you are ACCEPTING a debt. big difference there.

And being "given" a loan is not the same as being given money for nothing or for food or healthcare as you compared it to.

ItsTime
07-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Oh really? I don't have control on whether or not to ACCEPT a loan? You aren't "given" a loan, you are ACCEPTING a debt. big difference there.

And being "given" a loan is not the same as being given money for nothing or for food or healthcare as you compared it to.

You apply for food stamps, you apply for medcare. You are accepting it.

When you apply you have little control over if they are going to give it to you or not. That is what I mean.

specsaregood
07-09-2009, 09:37 AM
You apply for food stamps, you apply for medcare. You are accepting it.

And those come with a debt tied directly to you? Such as a house does?

When you apply you have little control over if they are going to give it to you or not. That is what I mean.
Yes you do. You have the ultimate control since you decide whether to accept it or not. And if one lender won't give it to you, there are other lenders.

ItsTime
07-09-2009, 09:39 AM
And those come with a debt tied directly to you? Such as a house does?

Yes you do. You have the ultimate control since you decide whether to accept it or not. And if one lender won't give it to you, there are other lenders.

The fed controls the money that is being distributed. So yes you have the choice if you want to apply, but they have the choice to allow banks to lend money.

So you are telling me you can go to a bank and demand money if you want it?

I thought we were past the part of wanting/not wanting a loan and we were discussing the fact that if YOU DO WANT A LOAN you HAVE LITTLE/NO CONTROL.

specsaregood
07-09-2009, 09:46 AM
The fed controls the money that is being distributed. So yes you have the choice if you want to apply, but they have the choice to allow banks to lend money.

You claim the fed controls ALL money? So if I wanted to take a loan out from a private party the fed gets to decide?

So you are telling me you can go to a bank and demand money if you want it?

Now you are just being silly.

I thought we were past the part of wanting/not wanting a loan and we were discussing the fact that if YOU DO WANT A LOAN you HAVE LITTLE/NO CONTROL.
Of course you don't have control of whether somebody else loans out their money to you. Why would you assume otherwise. I don't even know what you are talking about anymore, many tangents here.

You started by saying:

Anyone who wants to end the fed and has loans is a hypocrite
That is incorrect. I have given out many loans to people over the years and it didn't involve any FED involvement other than originally creating the FRNs that I earned.

ItsTime
07-09-2009, 09:48 AM
You claim the fed controls ALL money? So if I wanted to take a loan out from a private party the fed gets to decide?

Now you are just being silly.

Of course you don't have control of whether somebody else loans out their money to you. Why would you assume otherwise. I don't even know what you are talking about anymore, many tangents here.

You started by saying:

That is incorrect. I have given out many loans to people over the years and it didn't involve any FED involvement other than originally creating the FRNs that I earned.

Maybe I should have said bank loan ;)

Sure go ahead and take a loan from someone to buy a house. No harm in that.

specsaregood
07-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Maybe I should have said bank loan ;)

Sure go ahead and take a loan from someone to buy a house. No harm in that.

What about from a non federal reserve bank? And while we are having fun nitpicking, define "bank". :)

ItsTime
07-09-2009, 10:04 AM
What about from a non federal reserve bank? And while we are having fun nitpicking, define "bank". :)

Im going to stop now before I get another ban warning :eek:

So in my short answer to the OP. No.

MelissaWV
07-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Ah the magical land of "all or nothing". Very GW Bush of you all! Kudos! You're either with us or against us! If you have a dollar bill in your pocket, then you are a slave of the Fed!

Some of the points made so far are grand. Some are a bit off.

When you get your bills at the end of the month, is it for things you've already used/bought, or is it for things you will use/buy in the future? If you pay your power bill after you've used the power, then aren't you accepting the power and then promising to pay at the end? Isn't that a kind of "credit" in and of itself? It's the same with a credit card, if you actually pay for what you've purchased.

The companies are out of control, and it stinks, so I don't really use credit cards. I know a certain someone in this chatroom who never did pay off that huge credit card balance he racked up, after the company was dumb enough to give him a high credit limit. He maxed it, and it's still sitting there. The balance is probably in the $7000 range now.

Credit cards used to be what I kept around in case of emergency. If I had to book a flight to a funeral, or grab a hotel because a tornado ripped my house apart, a credit card would be a dandy thing to have. It also helped build my "credit score" so that I can one day get a house. I don't see having $100,000 or so saved up if I am paying out rent every month. As for the "investment" portion, a home can gain value if you work on it. Boo hoo it's hard? Put in a new floor, put on an addition, reconfigure the rooms, change the materials. Given the alternatives, buying a home that you can improve and that will stay generally sound is a better idea than renting perpetually. The problem is people do not make smart purchases, and the interest on the loan overshadows any profit they've made on the whole deal. At the end of the day, you have more privacy and potential in a home than in an apartment.

What people should stop doing is buying that coffee on their credit card.

Be responsible with your money and you have an important bargaining chip. I cringe every time I see a show on television and the home is "100% financed," meaning the charming couple didn't even bother to assemble a downpayment.

My next car is going to be all downpayment :) I've decided to put off buying it about a year, and just plunk down the cash. I've always wanted to do that, anyhow.

And cars aren't even that good an investment ;)

Freedom includes freedom to be irresponsible. The trouble comes when people want to shove that irresponsibility back at everyone else. Pay for my mistakes? No thanks.

specsaregood
07-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Im going to stop now before I get another ban warning :eek:
So in my short answer to the OP. No.
Fair enough.

How about a Pre-paid "anonymous" CFL branded debit card? One that you could refill? But not tied to a SSN. Now that might be a winner. I don't know if they can get perks though for something like that.

that way cfl wouldn't be sending the message that debt == good; but that anonymous purchasing power == good.

nelsonwinters
07-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Fair enough.

How about a Pre-paid "anonymous" CFL branded debit card? One that you could refill? But not tied to a SSN. Now that might be a winner. I don't know if they can get perks though for something like that.

that way cfl wouldn't be sending the message that debt == good; but that anonymous purchasing power == good.

Would be cool if the prepaid amount was held in gold reserves.

Natalie
07-09-2009, 11:21 AM
I voted No. I have enough debt as is :(

ItsTime
07-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Fair enough.

That would be much better. I dont know if that is possible though. But I would be up for that.

Maybe CFL should create something like neteller or epassporte :D

Dreamofunity
07-09-2009, 11:56 AM
I always get the default card for my debt because I don't want a football team or branch of the military in my wallet. I'd divert from default for a CFL one though.

satchelmcqueen
07-09-2009, 05:45 PM
i think it would be shameful for CFL to issue a credit card. Debit...maybe.

mediahasyou
07-09-2009, 09:19 PM
http://randazza.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/facepalm.jpg