PDA

View Full Version : Federal Government and Enforcing Contracts

Terces
07-08-2009, 06:11 PM
So I just heard a story from my wife.

Some teens were at a bonfire and used gasoline to help the fire alight.

They carried the gas can a distance away from the fire, but during the evening a trail ignited from the fire to the gas can.

A boy who saw it happening quickly ran to the gas can to throw it a greater distance away to avoid an explosion, but accidentally threw it in another's direction, causing in the end severe 80% burns.

In this scenario, it is typical for a helicopter to fly the injured to the nearest facility that can care for such a scenario... but guess what... yep, the Federal Government stepped in a passive but no-less-terrible way.

See, pilots can only log X-hour of flight per week and the pilot suddenly realized that he was over-hours and couldn't fly. So they had to call in a small airplane, which greatly increased the transportation time due to waiting, routing, etc.

This gets me to my point... the Federal Government is supposed to enforce contracts between the people. I've heard of too many stories and seen first-hand too many scenarios where the gov. wants to enforce an unsigned contract between a party and ITSELF. It can be easily said that anyone in that scenario I described above would have been perfectly fine with the pilot flying this man to the correct facility for care. Unfortunately, if he did he likely would have lost his license to fly and his career.

Where do we start so that the gov. realizes that the proper role it places is to enforce contracts between people. For example, if for a reason the parents of the boy wanted to sue, the government would provide the resources for a trial. The sad thing is, I know that if neither party wanted to press any charges... the gov. could still come in and press their own charges for negligence, whatever, etc.

This makes me sick, and it needs to change. A pilot shouldn't be afraid of losing his life-long dedication to piloting an aircraft for helping out in a situation like this. The rule, like all evil things, has good intentions... but how do we effectively limit the government from EVEN IN THE FIRST PLACE being able to establish rules that they can effectively enforce that do not involve two separate non-government parties with a claim against each other?
Edit/Delete Message