PDA

View Full Version : condo owners say SMU defrauded them of their homes to make way for the new Bush libra

disorderlyvision
07-08-2009, 03:21 PM
[..

Pericles
07-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Although stated in the article, SMU was buying the property long before the Bush library came into the picture. The only way they can expand the campus is by buying surrounding residential property, and the condo owners lost because of the way the HOA bylaws work - typically, one 1 owner has 10% plus, nobody will write a mortgage on any of the other units because of the power of that owner, which gives that owner leverage in acquiring more units. Typically a 60% vote can dissolve the association and tear down the development - which is what happened. All perfectly within association rules - so it was legal. Was it ethical - I would say SMU misrepresented its intentions.

I have a condo nearby, so I was watching with interest.

devil21
07-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Thugs holding authority "invading" an area under false pretenses to build an embassy...err library and displace the people that live there, even to the point of death?

I sure Bush won't stand for that at all.

Pericles
07-08-2009, 06:35 PM
At the same time, SMU bought a former bread bakery nearby, a strip shopping center, and has made a deal with the city to buy a small city park - it is not just those condo owners being targeted. However the town has a culture of protecting residential character of neighborhoods, and there has been conflict with SMU on zoning and building height.

It is a more complex local issue, and how often does a reporter come into a story and get it "right"?