PDA

View Full Version : Powell airs doubts on Obama agenda--Making Gov't and Debt Too Big

bobbyw24
07-08-2009, 05:07 AM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jul/03/powell-airs-doubts-on-obama-agenda/?feat=home_top5_read

Powell airs doubts on Obama agenda

Jon Ward (Contact)

Colin Powell, one of President Obama's most prominent Republican supporters, expressed concern Friday that the president's ambitious blitz of costly initiatives may be enlarging the size of government and the federal debt too much.

"I'm concerned at the number of programs that are being presented, the bills associated with these programs and the additional government that will be needed to execute them," Mr. Powell said in an excerpt of an interview with CNN's John King, released by the network Friday morning.

Mr. Powell, a retired U.S. army general who rose to political prominence after a long and accomplished military career, said that health care reform and many of Mr. Obama's other initiatives are "important" to Americans.

But, he said, "one of the cautions that has to be given to the president -- and I've talked to some of his people about this -- is that you can't have so many things on the table that you can't absorb it all."

"And we can't pay for it all," said Mr. Powell, who was the first African-American to serve as secretary of state, under former President George W. Bush. He was also national security adviser to President Reagan, and was chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under President George H.W. Bush from 1989 to 1993.

RELATED STORIES:
• Biden takes surprise trip to war zone
• Democrats claim deep cuts in health care bill
• Obama to launch flu campaign
• Energy job losers could get windfall

Mr. Powell was considered a possible Republican presidential candidate as early as 1996, and in 2007 he donated the maximum amount allowed to Sen. John McCain, the Arizona Republican who won the GOP primary. But less than a month before last fall's general election, Mr. Powell endorsed Mr. Obama over Mr. McCain.

Mr. Powell's comments represent the growing concern that began with hard-line fiscal conservatives but is now spreading to moderates about the rate of government spending and debt under President Obama, and the long-term impact on the country's fiscal sustainability and national security.

The national debt stands currently at $11.5 trillion and the deficit for the current fiscal year is projected to be close to $2 trillion.

Mr. Powell expressed alarm at "budgets that are running into the multi-trillions of dollars" and "a huge, huge national debt that, if we don't pay for in our lifetime, our kids and grandkids and great-grandchildren will have to pay for it."

"So, I think the president, as he moves forward with his initiatives, has to start really taking a very, very hard look at what the cost of all this is. And, how much additional bureaucracy [will] be needed to make all of this happen?" Mr. Powell said.

Mr. Powell said he has been in touch with Mr. Obama regularly, including recently.

"I don't insert myself. But, we stay in touch," he said.

Mr. King prompted Mr. Powell's comments by showing him video archive footage of Mr. Powell's comments at the 1996 Republican Convention in San Diego, where Mr. Powell talked about his opposition to big government.

"The federal government has become too large and too intrusive in our lives," Mr. Powell said then. "We can no longer afford solutions to our problems that result in more entitlements, higher taxes to pay for them, more bureaucracy to run them, and fewer results to show for it."

Mr. Powell said that now that he still believes what he said then, but that he would put it in different terms now.

"I don't like slogans anymore like 'limited government.' That's not the right answer. The right answer is, give me a government that works," he said. "Keep it as small as possible. Keep the tax burden on the American people as small as possible, but at the same time, have government that is solving the problems of the people."

The full interview will air on CNN's "State of the Union with John King" on Sunday, July 5.

Aratus
07-08-2009, 09:08 AM
good for him! there are these days when i sorta like colin powell for the very humble dude that he is...

torchbearer
07-08-2009, 09:09 AM
good for him! there are these days when i sorta like colin powell for the very humble dude that he is...

he had me until...

Mr. Powell said that now that he still believes what he said then, but that he would put it in different terms now.

"I don't like slogans anymore like 'limited government.' That's not the right answer. The right answer is, give me a government that works," he said. "Keep it as small as possible. Keep the tax burden on the American people as small as possible, but at the same time, have government that is solving the problems of the people."

Krugerrand
07-08-2009, 09:11 AM
he had me until...

Yup. We don't need somebody that think the government can or should solve peoples problems.

Is he positioning himself to run for something?

Aratus
07-08-2009, 09:47 AM
good Q!
tis apt and
spot on!

Kraig
07-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Yup. We don't need somebody that think the government can or should solve peoples problems.

Is he positioning himself to run for something?

Then why would you have a government at all if it is not there to solve people's problems? What else it going to *try* to do? :confused:

Aratus
07-08-2009, 09:52 AM
clearly, we need a Gov't to semi-solve these problems.
colin powell is very military. he once snapped orders
after he took a slew of the same. he assumes that
things often get done after an order is barked...

1000-points-of-fright
07-08-2009, 09:54 AM

His "right answer" is just another slogan in and of itself. If you don't impose limits on government, it will never stay as small as possible.

gls
07-08-2009, 09:56 AM
The national debt stands currently at $11.5 trillion and the deficit for the current fiscal year is projected to be close to $2 trillion.

Mr. Powell expressed alarm at "budgets that are running into the multi-trillions of dollars" and "a huge, huge national debt that, if we don't pay for in our lifetime, our kids and grandkids and great-grandchildren will have to pay for it."

I always laugh at the line that "our kids and grand kids" will have to pay for the debt. Everyone who transacts in Federal Reserve Notes will pay for it, and the bill will be coming due in a matter of months, not years.

catdd
07-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Obviously the neocons are planning on propping Powell up as the "answer" to Obama.

sratiug
07-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Then why would you have a government at all if it is not there to solve people's problems? What else it going to *try* to do? :confused:

Refer to article I section 8 of the US Constitution, where it is explained in detail.

Kylie
07-08-2009, 10:51 AM

It's is not there to solve the everyday problems of getting food and shelter. Or healthcare for that matter.

It is there to protect our country from other country's that would like to attack us.

And to levy taxes and import tariffs.

torchbearer
07-08-2009, 05:15 PM

the sole purpose is the protection of rights and enforcement of contracts. that is it.
you steal from me, law enforcement handles it, i don't take the law into my own hands.
you break a contract, their is an enforcer to seek judgement.

without the two above, you will have chaos.

Liberty Star
07-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Powell has a skeptical mind, he's great analyst of things. His doubts on Bush-Cheney-Rummy agenda have become text book lessons for schools.

http://mikeely.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/colin-powell-un.jpg

http://http://mikeely.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/colin-powell-un.jpg

Steeleye
07-08-2009, 07:57 PM
But, I thought people are looking for more government in their lives, not less, and are willing to pay taxes for services.

qh4dotcom
07-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Oh boy...another reason why Powell should have kept his mouth shut last October....he screwed up by endorsing Obama and his big government and big spending.