PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist sues NYPD for $1.5M after YouTube vid captures cop body slam

Reason
07-07-2009, 03:06 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/07/07/2009-07-07_cyclist_seeks_15m_from_city_for_body_slam.html

YouTube - Critical Mass Bicyclist Assaulted by NYPD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUkiyBVytRQ)

angelatc
07-07-2009, 03:08 PM
I remember seeing that. I hope he wins, although I think he should be suing the cop and not the public that have to pay the judgments against the city.

Brassmouth
07-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Fucking pigs. When will people wake up...

Good for that guy for trying to sue, he will almost certainly fail though. You can't sue the State.

Brassmouth
07-07-2009, 03:11 PM
I remember seeing that. I hope he wins, although I think he should be suing the cop and not the public that have to pay the judgments against the city.

That's bureaucracy, for you. No personal responsibility, and in the rare event they fess up to their abuses, the tax-victims foot the bill.

Reason
07-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Fucking pigs. When will people wake up...

Good for that guy for trying to sue, he will almost certainly fail though. You can't sue the State.

lol, you must not be paying much attention to the recent history of lawsuits for events such as this :cool:

Brassmouth
07-07-2009, 03:17 PM
lol, you must not be paying much attention to the recent history of lawsuits for events such as this :cool:

I was attacked in a government school, due to the negligence of the bureaucrats. Don't try to tell me that you can sue the State. You cannot. They are above the law, because state-owned law is arbitrary and usually nonexistent.

Reason
07-07-2009, 03:21 PM
I was attacked in a government school, due to the negligence of the bureaucrats. Don't try to tell me that you can sue the State. You cannot. They are above the law, because state-owned law is arbitrary and usually nonexistent.

lol, you must not be paying much attention to the recent history of lawsuits for events such as this

catdd
07-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Did they ever say why the hell he did that? Was there any reason at all?

Brassmouth
07-07-2009, 03:40 PM
lol, you must not be paying much attention to the recent history of lawsuits for events such as this

Then cite some of these examples. If not, then shut up. I can't stand apologists for the State.

Any reason he would give would be totally fallacious. Of course there was no real reason. The biker was totally innocent. The thug just wanted to beat someone up to make himself feel big.

silverhawks
07-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Glad that Pogan was fired. And to be honest, I'm glad that Chris Long is suing the city; their police department will hopefully be more careful NOT to hire violent thugs into their police force in future. In turn, perhaps the people living in that city will wake up to their civic responsibilities when they realise this is coming out of their pocket.

jkr
07-07-2009, 03:51 PM
this guy should be shovelling pig shit the rest of his life, remove him from us.

satchelmcqueen
07-07-2009, 05:11 PM
hope he wins

max
07-07-2009, 05:31 PM
its bullshit that innocent taxpayers should have to pay for his lawsuit...

he should be able to sue the officer personally....(and I would hope he wins ONLY if he sustained an injury)

Beyond that, that thug should be fired and do some a few months in jail for assault

LibForestPaul
07-07-2009, 05:53 PM

you did not hear about this story. the cop arrested the cyclist, tried to say that he was assaulted. if it wasn't for this vid, that bicyclist would be sitting his rear in jail right now.

Gideon
07-07-2009, 06:02 PM
its bullshit that innocent taxpayers should have to pay for his lawsuit...

he should be able to sue the officer personally....(and I would hope he wins ONLY if he sustained an injury)

Beyond that, that thug should be fired and do some a few months in jail for assault

The city is a corporation, and all of the LEOs are individually bonded and insured, such that as long as the LEO remains a city employee, he is not personally liable for his actions.
If this cop was actually fired, then it will be far easier for the victim to go after him personally. If he is suing for the sake of gaining money, he will want to go after the city, in which case, yes, the taxpayers also become victims.

IMO, tolerance for this kind of BS cannot last much longer...

angelatc
07-07-2009, 06:48 PM

He got fired over it. His report insisted the biker was resisting arrest and blocking traffic, totally refuted by the video. He wasn't fired for doing it though - he was fired for filing a false report.

HOLLYWOOD
07-07-2009, 07:26 PM
He got fired over it. His report insisted the biker was resisting arrest and blocking traffic, totally refuted by the video. He wasn't fired for doing it though - he was fired for filing a false report.

False reports are a joke... All the major PD orgs have legal council/attorneys review all police reports and red line them to be resubmitted with corrections by the reporting officer.

I guess they have to add a box for possible incriminating videocams.

catdd
07-07-2009, 07:59 PM
So he had absolutely no reason on earth to run over and KO the guy...
Just didn't like his looks or something?
Just did it to be a prick?

There should be a criminal assault charge filed as well.

HOLLYWOOD
07-07-2009, 08:10 PM
So he had absolutely no reason on earth to run over and KO the guy...
Just didn't like his looks or something?
Just did it to be a prick?

There should be a criminal assault charge filed as well.

Absolutely agree... It appears that government is above the law. Oh, they commit Class 1, 2, 3, felonies and all they have to do is resign or get fired, only to find another job next week doing the same. They also should forfeit their retirement, if caught falsifying and forging reports/testimonies.

All 3 branches of government are out of control and there's no checks and balances, which especially, the Judicial Branch, should uphold the highest standards of themselves.

Another Banana Republic :(

coyote_sprit
07-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Wait the cop didn't get a paid administrative leave? This is an outrage.[/sarcasm]

catdd
07-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Yeah, he'll be working for Blackwater in no time making 10 x what he made as a cop. I hear ex cops are in high demand - and that is one job that seems to be recession proof.

Reason
07-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Yeah, he'll be working for Blackwater in no time making 10 x what he made as a cop. I hear ex cops are in high demand - and that is one job that seems to be recession proof.

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/3/2/633715680044630460-noworries.jpg

catdd
07-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Well, we can only hope he gets his ass blown off in Iraq or somewhere.

youngbuck
07-07-2009, 10:42 PM
That's what pisses me off more than anything - where's the assault charge? Nice, he got fired for filing a false report, but it was blatant assault. Why are cops any different from us? THEY AREN'T! And it's BS when they refer to us as "civilians." Yea, you're really regular army or something, aren't you?

Let me walk up and just cheap shot a cop and see what happens with me. Assault against a police officer (like that should be any different than an assault on me or you), probably a conspiracy charge of some sort, disorderly conduct, and a half dozen other things that might just stick. It's sickening, it's BS, and it's pissin me off more and more.

devil21
07-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the update. I was wondering the other day what came of this.

James Madison
07-08-2009, 01:36 AM
This is sick. These guys were environmentalists; probably couldn't have been more than 5-8, 130. Why don't these jackboots pick on someone their own size?

SLSteven
07-08-2009, 04:18 AM
http://www.oz.net/~nic/cmold.html

Is Critical Mass Legal?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is riding a bicycle legal? Critical Mass has been known to push the limits of traffic laws, sometimes deliberately blocking intersections and running red lights in order to keep the Mass together. The police usually turn up, and what results is strictly a matter of the cops' mood and the behavior of the Mass participants on that particular day. Check out the laws governing bicycles in Washington State. Others have suggestions on how to behave at Mass.