PDA

View Full Version : The Pope now wants politicians and governments to regulate the world economy

qh4dotcom
07-07-2009, 11:17 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE5662VM20090707?rpc=60

mediahasyou
07-07-2009, 11:30 AM
he's a tool.

qh4dotcom
07-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Mods, I made a mistake...This should have gone into "General Politics"...please move this thread. Thanks

Cleaner44
07-07-2009, 11:33 AM
The pope is an idiot and should spend his time getting his priest's wankers out of little boys.

Brian4Liberty
07-07-2009, 11:44 AM
What a surprise! The person who holds the office that was once the sole Emperor of the Western world (and still rules a world-wide organization) wants a world-wide authority.

IPSecure
07-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Why cannot god regulate the world economy?

Has he little faith?

dannno
07-07-2009, 11:49 AM
They don't call him Pope Benedict for nothin.

In a related story, Putin fed Obama smoked whale and pancakes. Yum.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE5661Q520090707

ItsTime
07-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Glenn Beck thinks he is the last pope and the world will end so we need to go to war with Iran. I SHIT YOU NOT

ctiger2
07-07-2009, 11:54 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hS8o80-pzFgO16AGW9tGYGdp68jQD999I4D84

Pope Benedict XVI called Tuesday for a new world financial order guided by ethics, dignity and the search for the common good in the third encyclical of his pontificate.

James Madison
07-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Let me guess, there's still no plan for a one-world government, right?

Krugerrand
07-07-2009, 12:20 PM
They don't call him Pope Benedict for nothin.

In a related story, Putin fed Obama smoked whale and pancakes. Yum.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE5661Q520090707

Oh, that made me laugh out loud. And they're protected under the Endangered Species Act to boot.

Brassmouth
07-07-2009, 12:27 PM
the pope is an idiot and should spend his time getting his priest's wankers out of little boys.

+∞

catdd
07-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Wonder how much Rothschild paid him for this announcement?

almantimes2
07-07-2009, 02:45 PM
This is all unfolding right before our eyes..........

heavenlyboy34
07-07-2009, 02:47 PM
I wonder what Theo thinks of this...

Dr.3D
07-07-2009, 02:47 PM
I wonder why he can't just be happy with letting the world economy regulate itself.
If only those who would wish to control everything would let it.

Steeleye
07-07-2009, 02:48 PM
I wonder what Theo thinks of this...

I think he's a Protestant evangelical.

Dr.3D
07-07-2009, 02:50 PM
I think he's a Protestant evangelical.

So is the Pope but he just won't admit it.

moostraks
07-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Glenn Beck thinks he is the last pope and the world will end so we need to go to war with Iran. I SHIT YOU NOT

What a nightmare! :eek:

Sandman33
07-07-2009, 02:56 PM
This is all unfolding right before are eyes..........

We don't have to accept it though.

LittleLightShining
07-07-2009, 03:19 PM
And this surprises who now?

Sarge
07-07-2009, 03:23 PM
I am wanting to say I will drop off any responses, at the Vatican, for the board in Sept, when we tour the Vatican prior to our cruise.

With my luck I can just see customs finding those responses and, unlike the guys with the 135 Billion in bonds, I won't be let go.

Doesn't the Pope get emails?

He has got this one wrong big time. Rome already had it's chance at ruling the world and blew it big time. Not again, thank you very much.

Flash
07-07-2009, 04:12 PM
I believe the Vatican recently condemned Italy for deporting illegal immigrants. I don't know how anyone can be a Catholic, personally.

qh4dotcom
07-07-2009, 04:17 PM
I believe the Vatican recently condemned Italy for deporting illegal immigrants. I don't know how anyone can be a Catholic, personally.

The Catholic Church should have lost all credibility after what they did to Galileo 500+ years ago...it even took them about 500 years (Pope John Paul in 1992) to admit they were wrong...look at how many Catholics trashed their own "Thou shalt not kill" commandment last year when 99% of them who went to the polls voted for the pro-war candidates Obama and McCain...let's not forget all the Catholic priests who were convicted of being child molesters a few years ago and all the settlements the Catholic church paid out...and now the Pope wants governments and politicians to manage the world Economy?

Dr.3D
07-07-2009, 04:28 PM
The Catholic Church should have lost all credibility after what they did to Galileo 500+ years ago...it even took them about 500 years (Pope John Paul in 1992) to admit they were wrong...look at how many Catholics trashed their own "Thou shalt not kill" commandment last year when 99% of them who went to the polls voted for the pro-war candidates Obama and McCain...let's not forget all the Catholic priests who were convicted of being child molesters a few years ago and all the settlements the Catholic church paid out...and now the Pope wants governments and politicians to manage the world Economy?

That is really supposed to be translated as, "You shall not murder". And it isn't a Catholic commandment. That was directed at the Hebrew people of the Old Testament.

qh4dotcom
07-07-2009, 04:44 PM
That is really supposed to be translated as, "You shall not murder". And it isn't a Catholic commandment. That was directed at the Hebrew people of the Old Testament.

If I would have told the average Catholic last year "Look please don't vote for Obama or McCain because they will continue the wars and more innocent civilians will get killed"...do you think he would have cared? Nope...voting for the Democrat or Republican is far more important than saving lives.

Dr.3D
07-07-2009, 04:47 PM
If I would have told the average Catholic last year "Look please don't vote for Obama or McCain because they will continue the wars and more innocent civilians will get killed"...do you think he would have cared? Nope...voting for the Democrat or Republican is far more important than saving lives.

That is probably the case. :)

max
07-07-2009, 05:19 PM
This piece of shit of a pope said NOTHING while Israel slaughtered 1200 Palestinian civilians...

He said nothing when the Israelis laid siege to a Christian church in Bethlehem...

But he sure made some strong statements against Bishop Williamson for his questioning of the official Holocaust narrative....

NYgs23
07-07-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm disappointed, but not greatly surprised by this encyclical. In many ways, it's in keeping with the economic naivety a number of papal encyclicals on "social justice" have demonstrated since Leo XIII's Rerum Novarum in 1891. The general tendency has been to expound at length on a laudable goal (e.g. higher living standards for all) and then demonstrate a profound confusion as to how that goal should be reached. They will say, for example, that full employment are a good and, therefore, governments should pass regulations and union protections to support full employment. The trouble, of course, is that this is like saying that a healthy body is good and, therefore, we should all eat six cheeseburgers a day so we can have a healthy body. The Church, however, only has authority on matters of faith and morals. Therefore, while she can speak authoritatively on the moral imperative to care for one's body, she cannot speak authoritatively on the science of nutrition. Likewise, the problem with economics. Tom Woods, Catholic and libertarian author of Meltdown, discusses this problem here:

Catholic Social Teaching and Economic Law: An Unresolved Tension (http://www.lewrockwell.com/woods/woods8.html)

As Woods says, the least flawed encyclical on the matter has probably been John Paul II's Centesimus Annus of 1991. In many ways Caritas in Veritate appears to represent a step backward. I am curious what Woods will have to say on it.

Also, since Paul VI, the Vatican has had an unfortunate relationship with the UN, perhaps hoping that this entity can be used for some positive moral end. This is similar to how they once hoped that secular rulers like kings and emperors could be directed towards moral ends. The result of this was such embarrassments as the Crusades and the burning of heretics at the stake. Church leaders still have not realized that the State is aggression and power and can no more be directed towards moral ends that a band of brigands can.

On the other hand, it's important to remember that the bulk of Caritas in Veritate is not an explication on the need for a political-economic One World Order. Most of this 141 page document is a discussion of the need for charity and virtue in matters of economic exchange and in human life in general, and it is perfectly acceptable from a free market point of view. It also states that "the Church does not have technical solutions to offer." Sam Gregg at the Acton Institute discusses the positive points of this encyclical here:

Caritas in Veritate: Why Truth Matters (http://blog.acton.org/archives/11017-caritas-in-veritate-why-truth-matters.html)

Unfortunately, there are a few truly disturbing paragraphs within the document, in particular the passage calling for "a true world political authority." The biggest problem is that this authority is envisaged as a selfless and benevolent authority able to "observe consistently the principles of subsidiarity and solidarity" and to "seek to establish the common good." Obviously, the big problem with this is that such an flawlessly benevolent political authority is impossible.

Needless to say, it is precisely these passages that the mainstream media and the politicians have trumpeted as the Pope's call for the secular ruling class to construct a brand new ruling authority with themselves at the head. This predictable outcome, of course, is one of the biggest reasons why including such passages represents such a serious lapse in judgment. Some individuals on this very thread seem to be taking a similar strategy, zealously using this as an excuse to tear apart the entire Church. One can sense they did not need much incentive to do so.

I'm no great fan of George Weigel, but I think he has an interesting article regarding the possible reasons for these elements being included in the Pope's encyclical:

Caritas in Veritate in Gold and Red (http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=NTdkYjU3MDE2YTdhZTE4NWIyN2FkY2U5YTFkM2ZiMmE=&w=MA==)

In the end, the key question is one of human nature. A free and voluntary market brings abundance and the fruits of civilization by working with human nature. Coercion attempts to reconstruct civilization by battling against human nature, and believers in coercion are constantly disappointed. The Pope then says that men must be virtuous in their economic dealing. But in order to be truly virtuous, they must be truly free.

max
07-07-2009, 05:45 PM
The Bible clearly advocates free enterprise and debt free currency...

Old Testament.........

Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors property.

He who will not work, shall not eat.

New Testament........

Jesus freaked out and and chased the Bernankes and Greenspans out of the temple.

Tax collectors were reviled and grouped with prostitutes.

LibForestPaul
07-07-2009, 05:50 PM
didnt they try this already, with the marrying between nation state's royal families.

guess what , even blood relatives are a$$holes.

thasre
07-07-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm not really going to address what the Pope said, but as a Catholic, I would appreciate it if the people on this forum were a little more civil. This is just a man in some far off country expressing an opinion. Insofar as he expresses a THEOLOGICAL position, the Catholic faithful are supposed to adhere to it. In matters like economics (among other things), however, it's just grandstanding. His opinion on a "global authority" on the economy is nothing more than opinion.

But it is insulting to the Catholic members of this forum to have our entire religion denigrated because of a political disagreement with the Pope. I would really like it if people would lay off on insulting every aspect of my faith over something kind of petty.

Thanks.

Dr.3D
07-07-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm not really going to address what the Pope said, but as a Catholic, I would appreciate it if the people on this forum were a little more civil. This is just a man in some far off country expressing an opinion. Insofar as he expresses a THEOLOGICAL position, the Catholic faithful are supposed to adhere to it. In matters like economics (among other things), however, it's just grandstanding. His opinion on a "global authority" on the economy is nothing more than opinion.

But it is insulting to the Catholic members of this forum to have our entire religion denigrated because of a political disagreement with the Pope. I would really like it if people would lay off on insulting every aspect of my faith over something kind of petty.

Thanks.

Well, when that man in some far off country expresses his opinion, and he is the supposed leader of your religion, you will have to tolerate it when people express their opinion about him and what he promotes.

stilltrying
07-07-2009, 06:58 PM

Thanks.

I hope your faith is in Jesus not the pope.

nbhadja
07-07-2009, 07:14 PM
The pope needs to stfu. God dam child molester! I'd like to punch that jackass' face in.

Sandman33
07-07-2009, 07:18 PM
I think the agenda is being pushed so hard so fast because people are waking up so quickly and vastly.

3 ways to controll a populace.

1. Militarily - Washington D.C.
2. Financially - Luxenbourg
3. Spiritually - The Vatican.

All 3 are separate nation states.

All 3 are completely corrupt.

All 3 are full of lies.

All 3 are controlled by the same handfull of families.

And the masses just plain don't like them anymore.

armstrong
07-07-2009, 07:23 PM
the pope is irrelevant and a world deceiver,would not bother me if vatican city fell to a big earthquake....hehe

messana
07-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Sure the pope has his flaws, but the dipshits who go around believing in some mythical god is just as stupid.

Sandman33
07-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Sure the pope has his flaws, but the dipshits who go around believing in some mythical god is just as stupid.

Is we?:rolleyes:

NYgs23
07-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Well, when that man in some far off country expresses his opinion, and he is the supposed leader of your religion, you will have to tolerate it when people express their opinion about him and what he promotes.

A lot of people here are going way beyond "expressing their opinion." There are a lot of virulent anti-Catholics on this forum and have been for a long time. For many, this isn't about criticizing the pope's encyclical, but about using it as an excuse to unleash irrational fury and vitriol against a Church and a religion they despise.

Dr.3D
07-07-2009, 08:44 PM
A lot of people here are going way beyond "expressing their opinion." There are a lot of virulent anti-Catholics on this forum and have been for a long time. For many, this isn't about criticizing the pope's encyclical, but about using it as an excuse to unleash irrational fury and vitriol against a Church and a religion they despise.

Well, you have to expect there to be a lot of highly opinionated people in this kind of a forum. There are a lot of people here who bash Christianity in general and others or perhaps the same who bash the United States Constitution.

We do have to admit though, the first amendment allows for people to express themselves. I may not agree with everything everybody says, but I would fight to the death for them to have the right to say what they are saying.

strapko
07-07-2009, 08:52 PM

Thanks.

Actually, the pope is a catholic leader and by him being pope says something about catholics.

NEPA_Revolution
07-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Actually, the pope is a catholic leader and by him being pope says something about catholics.

Excuse me, but I am a Catholic and I don't think you understand how ignorant that statement is. Yes, the Pope is a Catholic leader, but the Church is a hierarchy, not a democracy.

Bishops are selected this way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appointment_of_roman_catholic_bishops

The Pope is chosen this way.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/electpope.htm

Basically, we Catholics didn't choose the Pope or the people who elect the Pope.

NYgs23
07-07-2009, 09:02 PM
We do have to admit though, the first amendment allows for people to express themselves. I may not agree with everything everybody says, but I would fight to the death for them to have the right to say what they are saying.

I would never use aggression to censor people who say things I don't like, but I will rebuke them.

NYgs23
07-07-2009, 09:04 PM
...we Catholics didn't choose the Pope or the people who elect the Pope.

Although, by choosing to remain Catholic, we do endorse them on some level. But that doesn't mean we agree with every non-doctrinal thing they say.

axiomata
07-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Jeffrey Tucker at the Mises Institute, who actually read the Caritas in veritate, says the media is misrepresenting it. Also the Latin word Caritas means Charity and only individuals can be charitable.

In fact, lacking anything to latch onto to confirm their worldview, The New York Times is happy to just make up the news, as when it claims that the document "lamented that greed had brought about the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression."
Guess what? The word greed never appears even once in the document at all.

http://blog.mises.org/archives/010236.asp

thasre
07-07-2009, 10:08 PM

Thanks for understanding what I was addressing... anti-Catholicism veiled as "economic criticism".

I don't even particularly mind if people want to start a thread and just rip on the Church, I guess, but what bothers me about this thread is that a few out-of-context quotes taken from an encyclical I'm certain no one posting on this thread has read are being used as the basis for launching attacks on even Catholics of good will.

It's especially ironic to me that Ron Paul supporters, who should understand more than most that it's wrong dismiss an entire ideological movement based on moments of human failing, are engaging in this sort of vitriol. To dismiss the entire Catholic Church and everything it stands for and everyone who embraces it over mostly innocuous differences in worldview is as ridiculous as people who try to dismiss all of libertarianism for things like, for example, mild racial slurs in Ron Paul newsletters.

Carson
07-07-2009, 10:23 PM
So he figures those that have pushed us in, may be willing to pull us out?

Sounds sort of counter productive no matter how you look at it.

It was doing fine when we used real money and the consumer had a say. It had a soul of its own.

Dr.3D
07-07-2009, 10:30 PM
It was doing fine when we used real money and the consumer had a say. It had a soul of its own.

This is what happens when they abandon "just weights and measures".

SimpleName
07-07-2009, 11:14 PM
He was also a nazi soldier if I remember right. He denies support for that regime, but maybe he saw something he really...REALLY liked.

thasre
07-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Some analysis from Catholics of a more right-wing and liberarian persuasion:

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=NTdkYjU3MDE2YTdhZTE4NWIyN2FkY2U5YTFkM2ZiMmE=&w=MA==
http://blog.acton.org/archives/11017-caritas-in-veritate-why-truth-matters.html
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/029146.html

It seems a good deal of the more socialist thought was foisted on Benedict by left-wing clergy (which is something of a dying breed), and then what little scraps Benedict threw to them have been grossly distorted by the secular media in support of their social agenda. Hardly surprising.

james1906
07-07-2009, 11:34 PM
"When it comes time to confess your sins in the Lapse Catholic Church, guess who you confess your sins to? That's right, Father Leary. You walk in and say, "Bless me father, for I have sinned." I say, "That's fucking great! What'd you do?" "I, um, thought impure thoughts all this week." "Fucking excellent! What else?" "Um, I jerked off like five times." "That's fucking great! You know what your penance is? Run across the street, steal two cases of beer and a pizza, and bring it back here, okay? We're gonna sit around the rectory, and smoke, and eat pizza, and drink beer, and watch TV, and if we see the pope on TV, we're gonna give him the finger and make fun of his hats, okay?"

stag15
07-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Just in case you are interested:

The catholic church has 12 Latin names that they have reserved for the pope. When you take the roman numerals from each name and add them up, you get 666 for all 12.

RonPaulR3VOLUTION
07-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Andrew-Austin
07-08-2009, 08:11 PM
http://www.oldthinkernews.com/Articles/oldthinker%20news/pope%20bless%20un%20flag.jpg

http://motivateurself.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/implied-facepalm.jpg

BuddyRey
07-08-2009, 08:18 PM
If getting into Heaven means I have to follow some clueless fascist in a white robe, then I think I'd rather go to Hell.

Sandman33
07-08-2009, 08:27 PM
"when it comes time to confess your sins in the lapse catholic church, guess who you confess your sins to? That's right, father leary. You walk in and say, "bless me father, for i have sinned." i say, "that's fucking great! What'd you do?" "i, um, thought impure thoughts all this week." "fucking excellent! What else?" "um, i jerked off like five times." "that's fucking great! You know what your penance is? Run across the street, steal two cases of beer and a pizza, and bring it back here, okay? We're gonna sit around the rectory, and smoke, and eat pizza, and drink beer, and watch tv, and if we see the pope on tv, we're gonna give him the finger and make fun of his hats, okay?"

lol