PDA

View Full Version : Why democracy works and doesn't...

psalm82x3
07-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Groups are smart. Think about open source methods for developing everything from software to marketing. Free markets function based on the wisdom of crowds. Ideally, democracy works the same way.

The wisdom and the failures of democracy are the same as the wisdom and failures of crowds. Problems in decision making arise when an electorate is too homogeneous, centralized and imitative etc... Eliminate those problems and we would always get "the best of all possible" outcomes (as Voltaire might chide Leibniz).

Just as a hypothetical, if a magic wand could be waved and everyone were mandated to go buy their local newspaper, that would ameliorate the homogenizing effect of large circulation news.

The book "The Wisdom of Crowds" was an eye opener for me and I recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Crowds-James-Surowiecki/dp/0385721706

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wisdom_of_Crowds

tremendoustie
07-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Groups are smart. Think about open source methods for developing everything from software to marketing. Free markets function based on the wisdom of crowds. Ideally, democracy works the same way.

The wisdom and the failures of democracy are the same as the wisdom and failures of crowds. Problems in decision making arise when an electorate is too homogeneous, centralized and imitative etc... Eliminate those problems and we would always get "the best of all possible" outcomes (as Voltaire might chide Leibniz).

Just as a hypothetical, if a magic wand could be waved and everyone were mandated to go buy their local newspaper, that would ameliorate the homogenizing effect of large circulation news.

The book "The Wisdom of Crowds" was an eye opener for me and I recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Crowds-James-Surowiecki/dp/0385721706

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wisdom_of_Crowds

The wisdom of crowds arises by allowing each free agent to pursue his own goals, and then the best solutions take hold and spread throughout the group. It does not arise by polling the agents, and then forcing each to obey a one size fits all solution. That stifles innovation -- and if we're talking about people, is anti freedom and highly immoral as well.

If your dastardly wand were waved, local news would become atrocious, because everyone would be forced to buy it regardless of content, and as a fun little bonus, we'd get tyranny to boot. Just let people be free, and stop trying to manipulate other people's lives -- that's the solution.

torchbearer
07-07-2009, 08:39 AM
the wisdom of crowds arises by allowing each free agent to pursue his own goals, and then the best solutions take hold and spread throughout the group. It does not arise by polling the agents, and then forcing each to obey a one size fits all solution. That stifles innovation -- and if we're talking about people, is anti freedom and highly immoral as well.

+1776.

mcgraw_wv
07-07-2009, 08:55 AM
The wisdom of crowds arises by allowing each free agent to pursue his own goals, and then the best solutions take hold and spread throughout the group. It does not arise by polling the agents, and then forcing each to obey a one size fits all solution. That stifles innovation -- and if we're talking about people, is anti freedom and highly immoral as well.

Great post...

When someone tries to please everyone, the outcome is always pleasing no one.

psalm82x3
07-07-2009, 09:23 AM
If your dastardly wand were waved, local news would become atrocious, because everyone would be forced to buy it regardless of content, and as a fun little bonus, we'd get tyranny to boot. Just let people be free, and stop trying to manipulate other people's lives -- that's the solution.

I think you missed my point about the potential problems that arise out of group think.

Since I am posting on RPF, you can assume that I have a libertarian bias and would never endorse the implementation of such a mandated reading list. I tried to emphasize that I was engaging in hypothetical thought processes by terming the wand a magic wand. I could just as easily have used some other rhetorical device that does not exist, like a magic pony or a magic elf. You may substitute those in your mind if wands are not to your liking.

Incidentally though, you elaborated on the same point I was trying to make. When free from all the pit falls of group think -- including but not limited to manipulation -- crowds act rationally.

Krugerrand
07-07-2009, 09:38 AM
I think you missed my point about the potential problems that arise out of group think.

Since I am posting on RPF, you can assume that I have a libertarian bias and would never endorse the implementation of such a mandated reading list. I tried to emphasize that I was engaging in hypothetical thought processes by terming the wand a magic wand. I could just as easily have used some other rhetorical device that does not exist, like a magic pony or a magic elf. You may substitute those in your mind if wands are not to your liking.

Given psalm82x3's clarification and apologetic tone, I vote for a stern finger wagging and forgiveness. You inspired a good quote from tremendoustie. That worked in your favor.

I also vote for the magic elf. Luck charms over Trix anyday.