PDA

View Full Version : Outreach: Hash House Harrier - Grassroots idea

Elwar
07-07-2009, 07:50 AM
Ok, some of you have heard of HHH and know what I'm talking about, some have not. Either way, I have an idea for a way to get grassroots action in a fun way based on the Hash House Harriers.

The Hash House Harriers are a drinking group with a running problem. They tend to gather together once a week and tailgate for a bit before going on a long run where they follow a path lead by the "Hare" while drinking more, and they all end up at the starting point where, again, they drink some more. And then they all decide on a place to go eat, drink and socialize.

I was thinking something similar except for the running and less drinking. What if we took the concept to the level of grassroots activity? There's a bit of coordination that would go on, someone decides on the day and place to meet, people meet up, usually in a parking lot somewhere where they can socialize with some refreshments, then at the designated time the organizer gets everyone together and gives them the game plan. The game plan could be going to a monthly Republican meeting and electing new leadership, or going to a city council meeting and pushing or opposing certain issues. Everyone goes ahead and participates in the event and then returns at the end. The organizer can then point out some highlights of the event and acknowledge the people that did some rather positive things, or razz someone that did some stupid things. Then decide on the location for dinner or whichever.

Basically, the goal being to create a social atmosphere while accomplishing something. Having a specific goal with everyone on the same page. And then a sort of lessons learned activity to help the group hone their skills.

Any thoughts?

acptulsa
07-07-2009, 07:55 AM
Do it bi-weekly or monthly and you'll need more activities. Which is fine, as meetings aren't very adventuresome.

Others could range from getting a petition signed (competition for most signatures?) to canvassing to some Habitat for Humanity-type activities. Why the latter? 'We say we're more efficient than the government nanny state and we're here to prove it!' Call them 'barn raisings'?

I like the idea. Don't want to burn the meetups out, but with the right injection of competition/fun...