PDA

View Full Version : How can anyone argue that the military draft is constitutional?

dude58677
07-06-2009, 11:16 PM
First of all the Constitution is about what the government can and cannot do. It does NOT say that Congress power to conscript and the founders were against large standing armies so rasing armies is nothing more than a volunteer army. Second it is never necessary and proper to have a draft when there is the militia clause and the second amendment clause which calls forth local militia groups to repel local invasions. The ninth amendment and the 13th amendment prohibit the draft as under the ninth amendment it means that the government is prohibited from violating an implied right not to join the military and the 13th amendment prohibits involuntary servitude.

"You cannot be serious" John McEnroe

YouTube - John McEnroe - You Can Not Be Serious (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekQ_Ja02gTY)

micahnelson
07-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Id oppose a draft in this country with all the breath in my lungs, words on my tongue, and blood in my veins.

When there is a legitimate need for more soldiers, there is no need to draft because people sign up. Saving that rare circumstance, the draft would be little more than a culling of the nation's poor for the betterment of the ruling elite.

FSP-Rebel
07-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Per the question, you can't, period.

eduardo89
07-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Per the question, you can't, period.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

TRIGRHAPPY
07-07-2009, 09:40 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_citizenship_(United_States)

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.

I supposed "required by law" means a constitutional law...... Which doesn't really prove one way or the other.

Scofield
07-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Luckily I will never have to take an oath of citizenship.