PDA

View Full Version : High demand for enhanced driver licenses clogs DOL offices

WarDog
07-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Lines have been spilling out the doors at some Washington state licensing offices, with drivers waiting for hours to get a special new license that also functions as ID for crossing the U.S.-Canada border.

Called the Washington state enhanced driver's license, it's so popular that the state Department of Licensing announced new procedures Monday to unclog the offices that issue them.

"Remarkable demand for this new product is driving up wait time," said DOL deputy director Alan Haight. Licensing offices in Western Washington, including West Seattle, have been particularly busy.

DOL staff now will screen applicants waiting outside licensing offices starting at 7.15 a.m.; put greeters at front doors to steer applicants the right way; and are encouraging those who simply need to renew a standard driver's license to do so online. Hours for walk-in applications for the enhanced licenses also will be reduced; they won't be accepted after 2 p.m. weekdays and noon on weekends in order to cut the afternoon crowds.

New law prompts rush

More than 73,500 enhanced driver licenses have been issued in recent months after the federal government approved it as border-crossing ID. The licenses, which look like a standard Washington license but contain a radio chip encoded with personal information, serve both as a driver's license and identification for land/sea border crossings between the U.S. and Canada (a passport is required for all international air travel).

The demand for the enhanced licenses follows a new U.S. law that took effect June 1, tightening border-crossing document requirements for land/sea travel between the United States and Canada.

U.S. citizens now must have either a passport, passport card, Nexus "trusted traveler" card, or an enhanced driver license to take a car, train, bus or ferry between the U.S. and Canada. There are looser ID requirements for children under 16 and youth groups for those aged 16-18, plus for some active-duty military personnel on assignment.

Getting the license

To get the Washington enhanced license, drivers must show up for an in-person interview and bring documents that prove their identity, U.S. citizenship and Washington state residency.

The enhanced driver license can be obtained at 14 Department of Licensing offices around the state, four by appointment only and the other 10 offering same-day service for walk-in customers — which is where the lineups have been long.

In Western Washington, DOL offices in downtown Seattle, Bothell, Port Angeles and Bellingham issue the enhanced license by appointment only, often with a wait of six weeks or more for an appointment. Walk-in applicants can get same-day interviews (after often lengthy waits) at offices in West Seattle, Renton, Smokey Point, Lacey, Mount Vernon, Parkland, Spokane, Vancouver (North office), Wenatchee and Kennewick.

After being interviewed, applicants will be issued a temporary enhanced license. It can be used for driving, but not to cross the U.S.-Canada border; drivers must wait for the permanent license to arrive in the mail in about two weeks.

Kristin Jackson: kjackson@seattletimes.com

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/travel/2009425037_license07m.html

eduardo89
07-06-2009, 09:07 PM
I remember when all my brother needed was canadian birth certificate to cross the border into washington state...no photo-id was asked for at all...

Bodhi
07-06-2009, 09:15 PM
The last time I crossed into Canada (a little over 10 years ago) via Washington state they had us go to secondary and wasted about an hour or two of our time asking for proof that we had enough money to travel and come back. Those Canadian border patrol guys were d&cks.

eduardo89
07-06-2009, 09:19 PM
The last time I crossed into Canada (a little over 10 years ago) via Washington state they had us go to secondary and wasted about an hour or two of our time asking for proof that we had enough money to travel and come back. Those Canadian border patrol guys were d&cks.

Yeah the canadian border guards are always dicks..we'd always get our car searched on the way back home...worse are the ones at the airport...they're so rude and unneccessarily nosy, puts me into such a bad mood whenever i fly to vancouver...though they'll never be able to match britain's border guards

Bodhi
07-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Yeah the canadian border guards are always dicks..we'd always get our car searched on the way back home...worse are the ones at the airport...they're so rude and unneccessarily nosy, puts me into such a bad mood whenever i fly to vancouver...though they'll never be able to match britain's border guards

I never had to go through the airport in Canada thank god, from my little adventure all I can guess is the border guards get very bored and like to have fun with the Americans.

Danke
07-06-2009, 09:43 PM
I used to canoe into Canada, no one knew...well that was 30 years ago...

Dr.3D
07-06-2009, 09:57 PM
When I went to Canada, they saw the NRA sticker on my back window and had me pull over to search my vehicle. After I scraped it off, they have not bothered me anymore.