PDA

View Full Version : dual citizenship

LibForestPaul
07-06-2009, 05:30 PM
What are your views on dual citizenship?

Do persons have a right to claim citizenship of multiple states?
Does the constitution permit or deny dual citizenship? cite?

dannno
07-06-2009, 05:33 PM
I don't think we would have any of the problems associated with certain dual citizen politicians if politicians in general followed the Constitution. Then the politicians who didn't follow the Constitution would stick out like a sore thumb. They could even be kicked out of office for defying their oath. The problem is we only have one in Washington who actually takes it seriously.

LibForestPaul
07-06-2009, 05:36 PM
I personally do not feel safe and secure when people in government hold dual citizenship. However, I do not believe the constitution has much to say on the matter. An amendment should be passed clarifying this for Senators, Congressman, and other high ranking officials .It already states that the President must be natural-born. Perhaps Senators, Representatives, President, Secretaries, Federal Judges, and Supreme Court Justices ALL be required to be natural born and NOT hold dual-citizenship?

LibForestPaul
07-06-2009, 05:38 PM
For those questioning why government officials was broken out.
Election is supposed to be will of the people, they can decide for themselves if they want to elect one who holds dual-citizenship.
Appointed, the citizenry does not have a direct choice.

Bodhi
07-06-2009, 06:02 PM
I personally want the right to hold dual citizenship, so for me I would like to see that right afforded to everyone.

I don't think just because a person was born in a certain geographical location that they should be bound to only be a citizen of whatever government/state happened to exist there at the time of their birth.

lynnf
07-06-2009, 06:21 PM
no way, jose!

you can only be a citizen of one entity at a time, no matter how they've screwed things up. the founding fathers would probably laugh at us for letting this happen.

there's nothing that I know of in the Constitution about it, being that it was plain enough to their face so there was no need to mention it, being the practice of the times.

http://www.cis.org/articles/cantigny/spiro.html

"Although migration has always resulted in some cases of dual nationality, until recently dual nationality remained an anomaly, a status disfavored to the point that it was considered immoral. The venerable American diplomat George Bancroft observed in 1849 that nations should "as soon tolerate a man with two wives as a man with two countries; as soon bear with polygamy as that state of double allegiance." In 1915, Teddy Roosevelt derided the "theory" of dual nationality as "a self‑evident absurdity." Dual nationality was thought to represent an intolerable division of the loyalty owed to one's country. Almost all states canceled citizenship upon naturalization elsewhere; until the late 1960s, U.S. law imposed a hair‑trigger standard on dual nationals under which American citizenship was forfeited for so much as voting in another state of nationality."

lynn

0zzy
07-06-2009, 06:30 PM
I believe in dual-citizenship, but it voids you from being elected or appointed to government.

Bodhi
07-06-2009, 06:59 PM
I believe in dual-citizenship, but it voids you from being elected or appointed to government.

I can see where you are coming from but for me I would be more worried about politicians that have an allegiance to multinational corporations than politicians that have traveled abroad and have experience with other types of government.

I would rather have someone who votes likes Ron Paul and has dual citizenship than a corporate sellout like most of the people sitting in Congress. I don't care what country a person was born in. I care about their ideals. If someone is born is some other country and keeps their original citizenship along with their US citizenship, they will not lose my vote because of that fact alone. If that person shares my ideals, they get my vote. If they are just another puppet, I will look elsewhere.

catdd
07-06-2009, 07:00 PM
I don't trust dual citizens in key positions of government. You never know where their heart is.

Danke
07-06-2009, 07:10 PM
No US Persons (United States Citizens) should be allowed in as politicians. Just Sovereign State Citizens/Nationals.

euphemia
07-06-2009, 07:14 PM
I was born overseas and my nametag at work plainly states that fact. A lot of people ask me if I hold dual citizenship. Here is my answer:

"My parents were both American citizens. I was born overseas because my dad was in the US Marine Corps. He fought in three wars for this country. I have never desired citizenship in any other country than this one."

JMHO

Pod
07-06-2009, 07:15 PM
I don't trust dual citizens in key positions of government. You never know where their heart is.

But you would trust those very same induviduals if they were not dual citizens? :confused:

catdd
07-06-2009, 07:18 PM
I have a hard time trusting anyone in the government these days and even less trust for dual citizens - especially those holding key positions.

Bodhi
07-06-2009, 07:21 PM
I have a hard time trusting anyone in the government these days and even less trust for dual citizens - especially those holding key positions.

Your lack of trust in the government is justified, but throwing dual citizens under the bus is a mistake imho. Liberty is a message that knows no borders. Give me a dual citizen politician that votes for Liberty and the constitution and I will gladly give him or her my vote.

catdd
07-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Well we will just have to disagree on that. In some cultures the person's heart is with their homeland and not necessarily where their head is. Their could be a conflict of interest which would not be so bad in most fields, but it could be disastrous within key positions of the government.

Bodhi
07-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Well we will just have to disagree on that. In some cultures the person's heart is with their homeland and not necessarily where their head is. Their could be a conflict of interest which would not be so bad in most fields, but it could be disastrous within key positions of the government.

Maybe for key positions it could present a problem if someone really had their heart in another place and spent a few decades climbing the ropes to try and subvert the government. Funny thing is though, those key positions are already occupied by people that don't have our best interests in mind. If you want to play ball in US politics and get to the top you have to be friendly to the bankers and the corporations that have grown up around them.

Minlawc
07-06-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm for duel citizenship, but honestly I don't even feel comfortable about the fact that governors and senators that are born out of state are being elected.

Matt Collins
07-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Most people in the US are dual citizens per the 14th Amendment. Read the first couple of sentences.

Matt Collins
07-06-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm for duel citizenshipHA HA HA !!!!!!

That brings an entirely different meaning to the phrase :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p

eduardo89
07-06-2009, 08:53 PM
I actually hold 4 citizenships...mexican, canadian, spanish and of course US. I don't have a problem with elected officials having more than one citizenship...as long as the uphold the Constitution like they swore to in their oath theres no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to serve.