PDA

View Full Version : News article about Ron Paul's Tea Party in Victoria, Texas

FrankRep
07-06-2009, 07:04 AM
Victoria takes more TEA

Victoria Advocate
July 2, 2009

Limited government and personal responsibility were the key themes of Thursday's second Victoria TEA Party.

Keynote speaker Congressman Ron Paul addressed a sea of about 200 participants clad in red, white and blue and many clutching American flags. He advocated for an end to the income tax, the Federal Reserve and ousting of federal government from citizens personal lives.

"Our goal should be consistently one and that is to promote liberty," the Republican from Surfside Beach said. "We are ripe for revolution."

The event was organized by the Victoria County Young Republicans with the help of other community groups.

The first Tea Party was held on April 15.

Paul also proposed his solution to minimize government - return to constitutional principles.

"We have lost our belief in ourselves that we know how to take care of ourselves not only personally, but financially," he said. "I believe we can get out of this mess by just restoring the constitution and abiding by it."

He also criticized runaway government spending and the economic crisis.

Fellow speakers echoed the cry for smaller government and reclaiming the country.

"If you go away with nothing else, go away with this - this is a constitutional Republic, this is not a Democracy," said Norlene Ckodre, president of the John Birch Society of Victoria. "We must take back our nation."

Two other TEA local parties are scheduled for Saturday, Independence Day, but the aura of Thursday's event was enough for one organizer to call it "stop the dependence day."

The evening began with a prayer, Pledge of Allegiance and national anthem followed by speeches from community officials and activists.

"I think it's very much in the spirit of being a good American and having the freedom to disagree with the government," said Mark Menn, Victoria resident who attended the rally. "I'm a conservative taxpayer and I feel like I'm part of a counter-culture."

Many participants resonated deeply with Paul's message to limit government.

"The only way government can operate is through power and force," said Matt Ocker with the Victoria Campaign for Liberty, "In order to gain that power it must take it from the citizens. Today we're giving it away in chunks."

But more importantly for others is changing the way people understand political issues.

"There are so many people who are so uneducated about politics," said Sharon Derrington, Texas state director of America Coast to Coast, an activist group. "We just got to keep educating people."

To Mary Anne Wyatt, chair of the Victoria County Republicans, political change comes through one thing - your vote.

"That's the greatest freedom our forefathers gave us," she said. "If you're not willing to get involved, don't complain."

SOURCE:
http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2009/jul/02/er_tea_party_070309_56932/?news