PDA

View Full Version : University of Washington is forcing Obama on freshman!

free.alive
07-05-2009, 05:14 PM
University of Washington is forcing all incoming freshman to purchase Obama's book, "Dreams of My Father." Student dissenter, Thomas Cloud, is standing up against the propaganda: http://bit.ly/UW_hearts_BO

He needs support! You can leave comments directly through Facebook!

Mr. Cloud is also the son of likely congressional candidate, Doug Cloud (WA-CD6) http://www.dougcloud.com/

Doug Cloud is an advocate of sound money and a Constitutionalist. He also needs your support!

Michael Landon
07-05-2009, 05:34 PM
You need to remember that Adolf Hitler's Nazi Germany gave every newly-wed couple a copy of his book Mein Kampf as a gift. This reminds me of that.

- ML

surf
07-05-2009, 06:59 PM
oh, alma mater, what has happend?

i have never heard of anything like a "common book." is it "required" reading or a "suggested" book for all? there was never anything remotely resembling this back in the day.

It's the UW's fourth Common Book -- volumes that are chosen each year to be studied by incoming freshmen and celebrated with campus discussions and activities. The aim of the Common Book project is to introduce freshmen to the University's academic community through a shared reading experience and events related to the book.

any idea on whether or not this "common book" thing is "common" on college campuses today?

my suggestion for common book for UW students: "James" by (former Husky football) Coach Don James

scandinaviany3
07-05-2009, 07:17 PM
you would think someone would sue over this...

TrueFreedom
07-05-2009, 07:43 PM
No there will be no lawsuits over this. And the reason being is that it is not true. No one is being forced to read anything. University of Washington is not forcing this book on anyone. It was selected as the common book for this year. No one is required to buy it. It may be on the syllabus of a few english classes, but that is left to the descretion of the english professor. If you don't want to read it, don't take that professor. No one is being forced to do anything, the OP is using fear mongering language and that is unfortunate. If anyone disagrees, feel free to show the legit source that shows all freshman at University of Washington are being forced to purchase and read this text.....

malkusm
07-05-2009, 08:16 PM
No there will be no lawsuits over this. And the reason being is that it is not true. No one is being forced to read anything. University of Washington is not forcing this book on anyone. It was selected as the common book for this year. No one is required to buy it. It may be on the syllabus of a few english classes, but that is left to the descretion of the english professor. If you don't want to read it, don't take that professor. No one is being forced to do anything, the OP is using fear mongering language and that is unfortunate. If anyone disagrees, feel free to show the legit source that shows all freshman at University of Washington are being forced to purchase and read this text.....

Yeah, at my school, the university or individual colleges would have something similar to a "common book" each year - from what I recall, you could pick up the university book each year for free at freshman orientation (but you didn't have to take one), or you could get a copy from your college.

There were some very bad choices, but I was quite happy to find that the College of Business selected Atlas Shrugged last year. :cool:

free.alive
07-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Um, TrueFreedom, you are incorrect. The common book is given to all the undergrad transfers and incoming freshman - just like 3 years ago when I transferred there.

No one HAS to read it, but that's not the point. It's propaganda. It's electioneering. It's purchased with tuition/state & federal money.

0zzy
07-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Yeah, at my school, the university or individual colleges would have something similar to a "common book" each year - from what I recall, you could pick up the university book each year for free at freshman orientation (but you didn't have to take one), or you could get a copy from your college.

There were some very bad choices, but I was quite happy to find that the College of Business selected Atlas Shrugged last year. :cool:

lucky.
i didn't know schools did "Common books" :X

TrueFreedom
07-06-2009, 12:43 AM
Um, TrueFreedom, you are incorrect. The common book is given to all the undergrad transfers and incoming freshman - just like 3 years ago when I transferred there.

No one HAS to read it, but that's not the point. It's propaganda. It's electioneering. It's purchased with tuition/state & federal money.

No actually you are incorrect sir. The common book is not required to all freshman. You are not forced to take, nor to read this text. And yes that is the entire point. The fearmongering language in the title of this thread uses the term "forcing". That is a lie. Is it propaganda? Sure, no one debated that. Is it purchased with state money? Sure, no one debated that. You don't like it, don't go to University of Washington. But the fact that no one is forced to read the book is the most valid point to be made in this fear mongering thread.

idiom
07-06-2009, 12:53 AM
I would celebrate and discuss that book on Campus. A lot. Then they would stop giving books like that to people like me.

0zzy
07-06-2009, 12:59 AM
Common book of the year: Ron Paul's The Revolution: A Manifesto

axiomata
07-06-2009, 02:22 AM
I'll be starting at the UW in the fall. Thankfully it'll be engineering grad school and I won't have to read this crap.

free.alive
07-06-2009, 12:31 PM
TruthFreedom:

No one ever said anyone is forced to read the book. Fearmongering? Are you afraid of something?

Lighten up a little, holmes...

acptulsa
07-06-2009, 12:44 PM
You folks in Washington state have fun being forced to put money in the Obama family's pockets.

I would celebrate and discuss that book on Campus. A lot. Then they would stop giving books like that to people like me.

:D You think if we discussed it here they'd make us required reading? :cool:

ChaosControl
07-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Read it and show some of the outrageous b.s. that Obama said, maybe open up some idiotic leftist's eyes.

idiom
07-06-2009, 01:40 PM
:D You think if we discussed it here they'd make us required reading? :cool:

I plan on being required reading someday.

TrueFreedom
07-06-2009, 09:20 PM
TruthFreedom:

No one ever said anyone is forced to read the book. Fearmongering? Are you afraid of something?

Lighten up a little, holmes...

Hmm. No one ever said anyone is forced to read the book.......maybe I'm reading the title of this thread wrong......