PDA

View Full Version : White House Tours Hard to Get

Matt Collins
07-05-2009, 12:24 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090705/NEWS01/907060323/White+House+tours+hard+to+come+by

Tim Mulvey, a spokesman for Rep. Steve Driehaus, a West Price Hill Democrat, said no one should take the difficulty personally; it's just a hard ticket to get."It's like winning the lottery," Mulvey said, noting that since the beginning of the year, his office has received about 20 requests a week but has had just one tour approved.

angelatc
07-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Make a substantial donation, and the odds will improve dramatically!

MelissaWV
07-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Eh, honestly, this doesn't so much upset me. There are literally thousands of things more important than people touring the White House. It's a functional place, not a museum.

Unfortunately, those thousands of more important things are being botched or ignored in spades.

tangent4ronpaul
07-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Eh, honestly, this doesn't so much upset me. There are literally thousands of things more important than people touring the White House. It's a functional place, not a museum.

Unfortunately, those thousands of more important things are being botched or ignored in spades.

It's traditionally been treated like a museum, but I guess the staff are being kept too busy with the Obama's heavy party schedule to serve the public any more.

-t

MelissaWV
07-05-2009, 02:33 PM
As far as reasons, tangent, I would suppose a great deal of it has to be a combination of what you mentioned, and the absenteeism of the primary residents.

It really is supposed to be a functional residence/office for the President. I anticipate a time in the not-too-distant future when it will be turned into, in fact, a museum, and the President will pick a home to telecommute from, so long as it meets logistical requirements. Presidents are barely ever home, and they go to their "hideaway" places to "rest" an awful lot.