PDA

View Full Version : Propaganda Identification and Discussion Thread

Isaac Bickerstaff
07-05-2009, 10:17 AM
All of the greatest tyrannies of modern times have held a near monopoly on information. The news was used to tell people what to think instead of what was going on. There are techniques that are blatant and some that are subtle, but the end result is that people who do not understand the nature of propaganda form an opinion that is often contrary to their core beliefs and they have no idea that it even happened or why.

We all remember the smear campaign against Dr. Paul. He was the "kooky, longshot, racist, no-chance-of-winning, darkhorse presidential candidate", if they mentioned him at all. (I still remember when "Other" won a Fox News poll.) Just because the 2008 campaign is over and Dr. Paul is finally getting some well deserved respect, does not mean that the propaganda machine has slowed any.

My goal with this thread is to invite people to scour the media world and report examples of propaganda to be dissected and studied here so that we can all improve the efficacy of our BS meters.

I'll start.

"Pro-reform clerical body protests Iran elections"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090705/wl_mideast_afp/iranvoteclerics

The propaganda is in the headlines, as it usually is. The point of this headline is to try to push the notion that the elections were rigged. "Pro-reform" implies "good guys" even though the type of reform sought or political ties or philosophy is never mentioned in the article. The "good guys" must be right and their protests should be considered.
The purpose of this propaganda is to get the public to passively accept the saber rattling of the administration. If they think "The Iranian government is in need of reform" they are more likely to support military intervention.

Proof of intent is virtually impossible, but the fact remains that the words that were used in the headline were carefully selected. Headlines are supposed to communicate as much of the story as they can in as little space as possible, therefore, adjectives in headlines ALWAYS have a specific purpose. The fact is that "pro-reform" is just not fleshed out in the article, so I concluded that it was propaganda.

Any further discussion, disagreements, or other examples are encouraged.:)

FindLiberty
07-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Often, propaganda diverts attention away from the real stoy.
Here are 3 URLs showing interesting perspectives on recent
"news". They point out a much bigger, unreported story
hiding behind the most recent, popular MSM propaganda
announcement: "U.S. Troops to begin leaving Iraq Cities".

1.) A videoblog by Stefbot: YouTube - True News 45 - Blood, Oil and Human Livestock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIC_0djhVbM)

2.) Text mentioned in the videoblog - Reasons behind it all: BP and China win the right to develop Iraq's Rumalia oil field (http://www.financialpost.com/news-sectors/story.html?id=1746750)

3.) Living Conditions in Iraq: A Criminal Tragedy by Ghali Hassan (http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/HAS506A.html)

Isaac Bickerstaff
07-05-2009, 08:28 PM
I actually laughed out loud when I read a headline for that story, something to the effect of "24 Killed by Carbomb as US Troops withdraw from City." It basically screamed "See what happened because the troops withdrew?!!" (They did not actually withdraw; they just moved from urban centers to bases outside the cities) Nevermind the fact that carbombs were exploding several times a week while troops were in the cities.

andrewh817
07-06-2009, 04:08 PM
I've found that most propaganda uses either stats or false cause and effect relationships to sway your opinion.

First article that came up when typing Obama into Google News: http://www.examiner.com/x-5738-St-Louis-Political-Buzz-Examiner~y2009m7d6-President-Obama-must-focus-more-on-job-growth

Headline: President Obama must focus more on job growth...........

How can any politician create jobs? Are they themselves paying the wages for WPA-style programs? NO the rest of the people who are already employed and STILL PAYING TAXES are funding it.

Otherwise the public may lose confidence in the Obama administration's ability to pull us out of this recession and begin seeking solutions from the other party.

The other party......... because there's only two political parties in a nation of 304 million people!

Bodhi
07-06-2009, 05:50 PM
This one is a bit old but still worth mentioning. It was not a product of the media but rather government created propaganda that was used to influence the media. Remember the "Homeland Security Advisory System"

http://www.dhs.gov/xinfoshare/programs/Copy_of_press_release_0046.shtm

The color coded threat level of terrorist attacks that was used basically to frighten the American people. It worked pretty well for a while, the government or Bush would do something that deserved media attention and then miraculously the threat level would be raised and the media would focus on that. It was used pretty heavily when Bush was running for reelection and we have not seen much of it since.

LibForestPaul
07-06-2009, 06:00 PM
WSJ
Boost in Food Stamps Helps Economy

Obama's stimulus plan has put more money into the hands of the poorest Americans by boosting monthly food-stamp allocations.

#
BofA Elevates Two Bankers

Bank of America promoted two key deal makers, among several bankers to be elevated as the bank seeks to retain talent.

Bodhi
07-06-2009, 06:05 PM
WSJ
Boost in Food Stamps Helps Economy

Obama's stimulus plan has put more money into the hands of the poorest Americans by boosting monthly food-stamp allocations.

#
BofA Elevates Two Bankers

Bank of America promoted two key deal makers, among several bankers to be elevated as the bank seeks to retain talent.

Can you please include links to the original articles? I would like to read them.

Isaac Bickerstaff
07-07-2009, 06:54 AM
This one is a bit old but still worth mentioning. It was not a product of the media but rather government created propaganda that was used to influence the media. Remember the "Homeland Security Advisory System"

http://www.dhs.gov/xinfoshare/programs/Copy_of_press_release_0046.shtm

The color coded threat level of terrorist attacks that was used basically to frighten the American people. It worked pretty well for a while, the government or Bush would do something that deserved media attention and then miraculously the threat level would be raised and the media would focus on that. It was used pretty heavily when Bush was running for reelection and we have not seen much of it since.

Good call! I'm a little embarrassed to admit that this one totally escaped me. I guess I got into such a habit of ignoring Bush and mocking the idea of "threat level" that I didn't make the connection.

Isaac Bickerstaff
07-27-2009, 01:16 PM
It has become clear that the White House and its handlers welcome the "birther" controversy. Our job it to try to figure out why.

"GOP headache: The birther issue"

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/25444.html

This article is doing nothing more than poking a hornets' nest. The "birther" issue has cost democrats hundreds of thousands in legal fees (and even some credibility) but it is "a Republican headache?

Out-party politicians have long had to deal with conspiracy theorists on their side — the people who think that the Clintons killed Vince Foster or that the Bush administration helped orchestrate the Sept. 11 attacks.

“Twenty-five percent of my people believe the Pentagon and Rumsfeld were responsible for taking the twin towers down,” said Rep. Collin Peterson, a Democrat who represents a conservative Republican district in Minnesota. “That’s why I don’t do town meetings.”

Yeah, people who notice inconsistencies in government reports should be laughed at, and then ignored when they are not shamed out of their curiosity, but under no circumstances should their questions be directly answered.:rolleyes:

But back on point; what are "They" up to? Is the purpose of this hit piece to distract from other newsworthy shenanigans, or is it to try to shame undecided folks into dismissing the birthers?

At this point, we should consider the Birth issue compromised and table it until B.O is out of power. Then we can use it to prosecute those responsible for shredding our country. Now, legitimate or not, it looks politically motivated.