PDA

View Full Version : time for reckoning.... long overdue

lynnf
07-04-2009, 11:34 AM
at one point, these fools were saying things like "we get 2-for-1 jobs back for each one we send overseas". sounds like the same folly as a perpetual motion machine to me, doesn't exist!

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/economicsunbound/archives/2009/06/immelt_speech_u.html

Immelt Speech: U.S. Companies Begin to Realize Their Mistake

Posted by: Michael Mandel on June 27

I’m going to make a forecast: Over the next couple of years, U.S-based companies will begin to realize that they made a big mistake relying so heavily on off-shoring.

Ironically—or perhaps not so ironically—it may be GE leading the way, just as GE and Jack Welch led the massive offshoring wave to India. Here are excerpts from a speech by Jeff Immelt, GE’s CEO, in Detroit last Friday: (Thanks to my regular commenter LAO for pointing this out)

Throughout my career, America has seen so much economic growth that it was easy to take it as a given. We prospered from the productivity of the information age. But, we started to forget the fundamentals and lost sight of the core competencies of a successful modern economy. Many bought into the idea that America could go from a technology-based, export-oriented powerhouse to a services-led, consumption-based economy – and somehow still expect to prosper.
That idea was flat wrong. And what did we get in the bargain? We’ve seen a great vanishing of wealth. Our competitive edge has slipped away, and this has hit the middle class hard.

As a nation, we’ve been consuming more than we earn, saved too little and taken on far too much debt. Growth in research and development has slowed. Our country has made too little progress on some of the defining challenges of our time – like clean energy and affordable health care. Our budget and trade deficits have reached levels that are clearly not sustainable.

While some of America’s competitors were throttling up on manufacturing and R&D, we deemphasized technology. Our economy tilted instead toward the quicker profits of financial services. While our financial services business has performed well, I can’t tell you that we were entirely free of these errors. We weren’t.

Leaders missed many opportunities to add to the capabilities of America. In 2000, the U.S. had a positive trade balance of high-tech products. By 2007, our trade deficit of the same products reached $50 billion. We have already lost our leadership in many growth industries, and other new opportunities are at risk. Trust in business is badly shaken, and it is going to take awhile to get it back.

Third: We must make a serious commitment to manufacturing and exports. This is a national imperative. We all know that the American consumer cannot lead our recovery. This economy must be driven by business investment and exports.

We should set a national goal to create high value added jobs and have manufacturing jobs be no less than 20 percent of total employment, about twice what it is today. And we should commit ourselves to compete and win with American exports.

---------------------------------------

well, duh!

lynn

Blueskies
07-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Companies didn't make a mistake. They moved jobs overseas because it made economic sense. It won't for much longer, however.

The reason why it was/is so profitable to send jobs overseas is because the dollar is overvalued.

The dollar's strength made/makes imports cheap. When the dollar's value falls to its true market value, imports will become very expensive. At this point, it will be profitable to bring manufacturing back to America.

Sadly, this period of expensive imports and lack of domestic manufacturing will be very painful, especially for the middle class.

So really, it wasn't the corporations fault--it was the fault of governments/central banks that kept the dollar unrealistically overvalued.

Epic
07-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Outsourcing is good for the same reasons robots taking over jobs is good.

Comparative advantage.

RevolutionSD
07-04-2009, 12:16 PM
I hire overseas. I can get someone in the Philippines to work for me for $3/hour and do the exact same quality of work that I'd be paying someone at least $30/hour here. It makes far more economic sense for me to hire overseas, why in the world would I hire American? (I do hire an American every now and then, but for the most part, it doesn't make sense).

torchbearer
07-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Outsourcing is good for the same reasons robots taking over jobs is good.

Comparative advantage.

this would mean all prices would be extremely cheap because it requires less human effort to create more of it.. prices have increased over time with job exportation.
An all robotic work force would make all goods worth pennies. the only human effort would be in maintenance of the robots.

lynnf
07-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Companies didn't make a mistake. They moved jobs overseas because it made economic sense. It won't for much longer, however.

The reason why it was/is so profitable to send jobs overseas is because the dollar is overvalued.

The dollar's strength made/makes imports cheap. When the dollar's value falls to its true market value, imports will become very expensive. At this point, it will be profitable to bring manufacturing back to America.

Sadly, this period of expensive imports and lack of domestic manufacturing will be very painful, especially for the middle class.

So really, it wasn't the corporations fault--it was the fault of governments/central banks that kept the dollar unrealistically overvalued.

I hire overseas. I can get someone in the Philippines to work for me for $3/hour and do the exact same quality of work that I'd be paying someone at least $30/hour here. It makes far more economic sense for me to hire overseas, why in the world would I hire American? (I do hire an American every now and then, but for the most part, it doesn't make sense).

so you love money more than you love your country... so do those corporations
and that is a huge reason why we are in the position we are in today. so be it.

lynn

Bman
07-04-2009, 06:53 PM
so you love money more than you love your country... so do those corporations
and that is a huge reason why we are in the position we are in today. so be it.

lynn

Huh? Did you understand anything Blueskies said?