PDA

View Full Version : Leading Congress District 12 candidate announces! (liberty-lover)

Throwback280s
07-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Here in Florida's US House District 12, current rep Adam Putnam is retiring from his seat in 2010. He was the 3rd ranking Republican during much of his tenure. This key seat is now a hot ticket opening for the 2010 elections.

The first entrant in the race in the GOP was a standard big government Republican in favor of the status quo.

Yesterday, County Commissioner Randy Wilkinson announced his campaign for the seat. Commissioner Wilkinson is probably the most well-known Commissioner in the District. He's a 3-term incumbent. Before that, he served on the School Board. He is known for being a maverick who opposed tax hikes, bureaucracy, and waste. He also fought to preserve privacy rights.

While it's still early, he's positioned to be the front-runner for this Congressional seat. He understands the constitutional vision for the Republic. And will be a key campaign to assist in 2010!

For example, in his announcement he endorsed 4 bills popular with DownsizeDC folks, the Read the Bills Act, One Subject at a Time Act, Write your own laws act, and the Enumerated Powers Act.

His announcement clip:
YouTube - Randy Wilkinson Announces Congressional Run (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSTQLnJFCec)

Here's a transcript of his announcement speech:

Thank you all for coming.

Are you tired of living paycheck to paycheck to make ends meet?

Have you entered the supposedly golden years of retirement only to find yourself worried that the American Dream you've cherished, even fought for, is slipping away?

Are you having trouble finding a job as more and more are shipped overseas?

Are you weary of regulations and taxes burdening your small business, property, and privacy rights?

Are you tired of coming home exhausted, not being able to spend time with your kids due just to keep up with life's basics?

Are you losing faith in Washington's ability to allow the economy to thrive once again?

Or, more likely, are you getting downright angry with Congress for forcing you to foot the bill for Wall Street and bureaucratic excess?

If you answered yes to any of these questions now is the time to do something about it.

Hello, my name is Randy Wilkinson. And I'm running for Congress, District 12. Currently, I am serving my 3rd term as Polk County Commissioner. Previously, I served as a member of the Polk County School Board. For the past 14 years, I have fought to maximize freedom for the great people of Polk County. With the citizens' help, I worked to reduce government intrusion in our lives so that Polk County could become a beacon of prosperity for generations to come.

On the School Board I championed better curriculum, academic standards, parental involvement, and less bureaucracy. For example, I supported the International Baccalaureate program to Polk County, the nation's 3rd scoring high school.

During my three terms as Polk County Commissioner I consistently fought for the little guy, seeking to reduce property taxes and attract quality jobs to the area. Polk County now has the lowest property tax rate since 1989. According to the Tampa Bay Business Journal, Polk County now has the lowest property taxes in the Tampa Bay area. I was also instrumental in bringing the innovative new USF Polytechnic campus and Blue Sky Incubator Project to bring innovation and jobs to central Florida.

Unfortunately, despite our best efforts to preserve freedom and prosperity for our local community, things have gone horribly wrong in Washington. I realize that I simply cannot sit idly by and watch our community, and country at large, suffer under the weight of an out-of-control federal government.

Our national debt is sky-rocketing. Civil liberties are being eroded. The Federal Reserve is destroying our purchasing power. We're spending too much overseas. Our money is being used to enrich privileged corporations. America's sovereignty is in danger. And our moral principles have been abused and neglected. DC has failed us. That imperial swamp stinks of corruption, waste, and abuse. It is now a cesspool of career politicians collecting lucrative pensions as they work as collective cogs for their political machines. Statesmanship is becoming a relic of the past.

I say no more!! And I know you do too!

Countless constituents have expressed their dissatisfaction with the current candidates running for District 12 Congress. For Americans simply concerned with paying their food and energy bills while maintaining some semblance of freedom, the statist quo represented by these individuals is not enough. We're tired of generic political fluff.

The left tells us the enemy we face is Big Business. The right tells our only concern is Big Government. Both have it wrong. In reality, as recent bailouts illustrate, the real threat is the marriage between big government and big business. Whether its corporate welfare, regulations, taxes, or printing money out of thin air, Washington continues to milk the middle class dry.

At the end of the day, there is no left vs. right. Only up or down. Down towards tyranny. Or up towards freedom for all.

Congress is broken. And it's time we fix it. It's real simple. Just like everyone else, Congress actually has rules to follow. Its called the Constitution. I will work to restore it.

So while I will be rolling out further initiatives in the coming weeks, I like to hit the ground running. Today, I'd like to introduce to you four bills I will spearhead in Congress.

The Read the Bills Act. Right now, most of our congressmen don't actually read the bills they vote on. This is totally unacceptable! This act would require each bill to be read aloud in its entirety to Congress before voting.

The One Subject at a Time Act. Americans are tired of getting last minute laws attached to totally unrelated bills. It's time to limit bills to one subject at a time.

The Write the Laws Act. For too long bureaucrats and lobbyists have wrote the legislation and set the rules. This act would force Congress to write its own laws.

The Enumerated Powers Act. Congress would be required to cite the Constitutional authority for each bill it passes.

These are common sense efforts that transcend partisan ideology.

For more information on these bills check out the citizens grassroots cite DownsizeDC.org.

In the end, It's hard to believe how far our government has drifted from the vision of our founding fathers.

Yet...there's still much to believe in.

I still believe in that old faithful farmer who rises early each morn to care for his crops and provide nourishment for his community--despite Washington's subsidies and regulations that burden his shoulders.

I still believe in the grace of that single mother who tirelessly juggles between spending time with her kids and work just to keep up with the cost of living and taxes.

I still believe in the courage of the small business owner trying to create jobs for his fellow citizens in the face of Washington's competition destroying bailouts.

I still believe in the honor of the father who yearns for a day in which his children can have a government that follows the rules; a Congress made of self-less statesmen that put principle before power.

I still believe in freedom.

Our road is rough. Our feet our worn. Our challenge great. Yet, we still believe.

America. Don't stop believing.

Thank you all.

Imperial
07-04-2009, 09:20 PM
bump for mainstream opportunity!

erowe1
07-05-2009, 11:26 AM
I was skeptical when I read your initial description of him. But from that speech he looks outstanding. This should definitely be someone high on our list of candidates to support.

eduardo89
07-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Good luck to him