PDA

View Full Version : Does the POTUS have rights?

Wineman77
07-03-2009, 07:30 PM
I think most on this board would agree that the government has not rights, just powers. Only citizens have rights. So does the president give up his natural rights when be becomes "government"?

Optatron
07-03-2009, 07:32 PM
no, he's the servant of all servants

Bodhi
07-03-2009, 07:36 PM
I would say no, politicians don't give up their rights when they become politicians, president or otherwise. However, those in the armed forces do give up their rights and become property of the government.

Wineman77
07-03-2009, 07:39 PM
I would say no, politicians don't give up their rights when they become politicians. However, those in the armed forces do give up their rights and become property of the government, been their done that and won't do it again!

Is he just a polititian once he assends to such a lofty possition? He is an entire branch of the Federal government. He is also the Commander in Chief.

Bodhi
07-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Is he just a polititian once he assends to such a lofty possition? He is an entire branch of the Federal government. He is also the Commander in Chief.

I think he still has his rights, is there anywhere in the constitution that says otherwise?

Patriot123
07-03-2009, 07:52 PM
The POTUS is an individual. He's (she's) a living, breathing human being who's a citizen of this country. Thus, the POTUS most definitely has rights - all the rights that you, me or anyone else has. It's the government as a whole that doesn't have rights - who's restrained.

1000-points-of-fright
07-03-2009, 08:02 PM
This topic reminds me of something I've always wanted to know... why is so much reverence and respect paid to the Prez, congressman, cabinet members, judges, etc? Mr. President, the Honorable so and so, madam secretary.

They're not royalty. They're not our superiors. They're just people who WE hired to do a job for us. If anything, they should treat us with deference.

Why are the White House and Capitol Building treated like hallowed ground? They're just government buildings WE paid for like the DMV.

paulitics
07-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Yes, they have rights just like anyone else. That doesn't mean they are above the law.

TastyWheat
07-03-2009, 10:14 PM
I was rather intrigued by Plato's musings regarding the roles of "guardians". I'm pretty sure it was him that proposed the idea that public officials should give up certain rights when assuming office, so that they will behave less like public masters and more like public servants. I wouldn't propose anything too drastic, except maybe that public officials should not be allowed any private source of income (e.g. stocks, gifts, dividends, etc). Their salary should only cover cost-of-living expenses.

Bold As Love
07-03-2009, 10:35 PM
I think the President should be on equal footing with the rest of us. What he does on his own personal time is his business....its a shame they have to be in such a bubble. Thank you, MSM, for attempting to distract us with such insane, yet insightful reporting.:rolleyes:

However, any action relating to doing the job in the Exec. branch should be subject to complete transparency, I think.