PDA

View Full Version : A lesson in the US Constitution: from Britain

bobbyw24
07-03-2009, 06:09 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-14766-Charleston-Ron-Paul-Examiner~y2009m7d3-A-lesson-in-the-US-Constitution-from-Britain

A lesson in the US Constitution: from Britain
July 3, 6:24 PM · Rick George - Charleston Ron Paul Examiner

Daniel Hannan MEP

Recently, Britain's MP,Daniel Hannan, spoke in Colorado regarding the U.S. Constitution and our own republican democracy. He praised the founders of our nation and Constitution as visionaries and patriots. However, his words appeared to be eerily prophetic as he told how the atrocities which our revolutionary ancestors fought against are now being perpetrated in England. He also spoke of the Constitution proposed in Belgium for the European Union which is 526 pages in length.. One cannot help but think that if our representatives were to draft a Constitution today, it would be similar to that of Belgium.

The departure from "We The People" to "We The Government" in the minds of most Americans took place over a number of years. One of the largest contributors was The Great Depression in the 1930's. In a scenario eerily reminiscent of today's, F.D. Roosevelt initiated a number of federal programs designed to take over the banking industry and set up government controls to "wrest' the economy back into recovery. Many institutions which are currently in the news today were created during FDR's administration such as: FDIC, Fannie Mae and the Social Security administration.

Since that time, Americans have been looking to the government for everything from education to daily protection. I was reminded of this recently when I came across the web site of a former colleague of mine in the Middle East. This person is Lebanese and experienced the complete disintegration of her homeland during the Palestinian and Hezbollah occupations of her country. Her site had links to various Republican leaders and causes. It is also very well connected with the Evangelical Christian right.

It made me re-evaluate my own position and support of Ron Paul. I thought of the recent atrocities in Iran and the slaughter of civilians who opposed the elections. Dr. Paul was the lone dissenting vote against "condemning" the actions of the Iranian government. However, I also thought of the Patriot Act and the loss of freedoms we experience daily. I was reminded of the push for a national "ID Card" which would give the government even more access to our most private information. Under a Ron Paul administration, the individual would be free to take whatever stance s/he wanted against any country. Each individual would be able to assist any citizen of any other country of his/her choosing. Additionally, under a Ron Paul, or Constitutional administration, there would be more troops in the US to be able to secure our borders and ensure "domestic" tranquility.

The problem with looking to the government for protection is that eventually the government translates "protection" into "ownership".

For more info: You Tube; The New Deal

heavenlyboy34
07-03-2009, 06:34 PM
"Since that time, Americans have been looking to the government for everything from education to daily protection." qft! It's just so sad, it makes one wanna cry sometimes. :(