PDA

View Full Version : Hit those GM picket lines with Ron Paul Flyers?

ItsTime
09-24-2007, 09:19 AM
I do not live by any GM plants but what do you all think about handing out flyers to these people?

pyrazole2
09-24-2007, 09:22 AM
I do not live by any GM plants but what do you all think about handing out flyers to these people?

scary. The UAW has all but endorsed Edwards, and they really stick to that brotherhood thing. Worth a try, but bring backup and leave quickly if you get too much flak.

constituent
09-24-2007, 09:28 AM
scary. The UAW has all but endorsed Edwards, and they really stick to that brotherhood thing. Worth a try, but bring backup and leave quickly if you get too much flak.

unions and union activity today are a horse of a differnet color from unions about the mid 20's up to the 70's. i'm sure you'd be just fine. just remind them that Ron Paul supports their right to collective bargaining if they so choose, enough said.

M.Bellmore
09-24-2007, 09:53 AM
I think if you also hit them with the "you'll get 25% of your money back when you stop paying income tax" might go over well.

pyrazole2
09-24-2007, 09:59 AM
unions and union activity today are a horse of a differnet color from unions about the mid 20's up to the 70's. i'm sure you'd be just fine. just remind them that Ron Paul supports their right to collective bargaining if they so choose, enough said.

So do you have firsthand knowledge? I am a non-union salaried worker at a union plant. There was a strike late in 2007. I replaced 22 plates of glass in my car (from various places) over the 5 month strike. Granted, I was crossing the picket line once a week (lived in my office during the week), but don't even tell me they're a 'different color' if they've broken a window and are trying to crawl in your car while you're moving. 10 or so guys on the picket line assaulted a local reporter, so it's not just the people crossing.

Do some research about strikes this year and last take a look at the number of murders on the picket lines. You all are free to do whatever you want, but I'm staying away. All I advocate is caution, 'cause those guys are pissed off.

What candidate doesn't support collective bargaining? They're liable to beat you up just because that's so general it doesn't even start to make a point.

pyrazole2
09-24-2007, 10:06 AM
I think if you also hit them with the "you'll get 25% of your money back when you stop paying income tax" might go over well.

Unions are about leveling the playing field, so they appreciate the fact that income is redistributed. Of course they're all individuals and some might like that, but a majority want universal health, fair trade, social security, etc...

For unions, you might want discuss NAFTA and the North American Union. The Amero thing would fire them up. That's where my success has been. I've gotten 4 union votes for RP...they are tough nuts to crack though, believe me.

constituent
09-24-2007, 10:07 AM
yea, actually not gunna bust the bona fides out for you right here in this public forum... but i've got lots and lots and lots and lots (generations worth) of firsthand knowledge...

you got away w/ your life didn't you? and did i catch that you were breaking the picket on a weekly basis? yea, that's a horse of a different color as well (in relation to handing out some RP info.)

ksuguy
09-24-2007, 10:25 AM
It's worth a shot, but you will probably find that most of them are voting for democrats no matter what.

pyrazole2
09-24-2007, 10:47 AM
yea, actually not gunna bust the bona fides out for you right here in this public forum... but i've got lots and lots and lots and lots (generations worth) of firsthand knowledge...

you got away w/ your life didn't you? and did i catch that you were breaking the picket on a weekly basis? yea, that's a horse of a different color as well (in relation to handing out some RP info.)

generations of firsthand knowledge? isn't that an oxymoron? as in, seen with your own eyes? whatever, moot point.

So as long as I got away with my life it's ok? I don't think so. Being assaulted on my way to work is definitely an intrusion upon my human rights. If you don't believe that, then you probably need to examine your beliefs. I actually respected their position by only entering/exiting on the weekends, most everyone else came and went daily. The assault was against the law, but of course they would behave while the police were there, but assault when they weren't, obviously they knew it was against the law.

btw-it's crossing the picket line. So it's alright for unions to shut a company down? this is the real reason why companies are packing up and going to mexico and china. Why bother to do business here if the unions don't see that it's in their best interest to keep a place running - profitably. It's their right to hold out for bargaining, but not to shut the place down. This is a violation of the companies' rights to do business.

I think there's very little support for unions in RP's platform (although there's nothing prohibiting them, of course) As much as we'd like to think there is, there just isn't...see these:
http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=56
http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=89
http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=763
http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=795
http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=721

you're obviously a sympathizer. As such, I can't see myself continuing this conversation. Unions have led to the bankruptcy and/or suicide of at least a dozen union members I've known over the years. The retoric is so tired, most of the unions themselves are corrupt, but yet everyone goes along, being forced to join. Very sad if you ask me. Unions are supposed to be there to protect workers (20's-70's), not to support the greed of them (70's+).

noxagol
09-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Unions are scum now a days and I hate them.