PDA

View Full Version : Not being able to pump your own gas

Met Income
07-02-2009, 04:45 PM
I realize that in today's times, this isn't one of our most pressing issues. However, in NJ and Oregon, citizens cannot pump their own gasoline. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks.

Sean
07-02-2009, 04:47 PM
It really should be up to the station and not the state.

dannno
07-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Well if the people who sold gas didn't want their customers pumping gas, then it would be OK by me. Perhaps they feel it is too dangerous and they don't want to take on the liability of having their customers pump it themselves.

No reason for the government to have those kinds of rules in place, though.

MelissaWV
07-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Customer doesn't pump their own gas, then customer really doesn't have the chance to drive off :D Honestly, this used to be thought of as a major bonus/convenience. I'd pay a couple of cents extra per gallon to go to a full-service station. Man. I even hear legends that those folks used to check your oil and fill up your washer fluid!!!

But no, not even such nirvana should be mandated. Should be up to the business owner.

tangent4ronpaul
07-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Why would be the question.

In general full service gas stations have gotten scarce, but do charge a bit more for that service. So this could be a job creation tactic.

There are vapor catchers on pumps - that people don't always use correctly and considering the states - this might be a nanny state thing. You know - for the environment.

Lastly, there are sometimes fires - like if some clueless person puts their cell phone on the car right above the open gas tank and someone calls igniting the vapors. This isn't that common, but it does happen. Ditto with smoking while you pump.

-t

tangent4ronpaul
07-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Well if the people who sold gas didn't want their customers pumping gas, then it would be OK by me. Perhaps they feel it is too dangerous and they don't want to take on the liability of having their customers pump it themselves.

No reason for the government to have those kinds of rules in place, though.

Yeah - it might be the insurance companies mandating this. As another example, in one state they told all the hospitals that LPN's and EMT's could no longer do triage in ER's, so there was a mass firing. Instead they had to hire RN's and Paramedics for this. The RN's and Paramedics so hired were really bored, and hated life - it also led to a nursing shortage and a shortage of paramedics in ambulances.

Seriously, insurance companies screw things up as badly as Congress.

-t

steph3n
07-02-2009, 05:02 PM
it is a NJ workfare program, I went to NJ recently and had to wait on the guy, and not only that it was 10 miles out from the airport and I almost wasn't full because he refused to fill the tank. I almost got popped with gas not full penalty at the airport

Kludge
07-02-2009, 05:06 PM
I am outraged over this injustice. I feel betrayed by my government and disappointed that my countrymen would let this happen in our states.

These truly are the end of days.

(on an irrelevant anecdotal note, the last full service station around here went out of business a few months ago.)

it is a NJ workfare program, I went to NJ recently and had to wait on the guy, and not only that it was 10 miles out from the airport and I almost wasn't full because he refused to fill the tank. I almost got popped with gas not full penalty at the airport

"gas not full penalty"???

Must have been a rental car. When you turn them back in, and the tank isn't full, they will charge you something like double for each gallon it takes to top it off.

Oooooooh.... Okay, that makes sense.

Dr.3D
07-02-2009, 05:13 PM
I am outraged over this injustice. I feel betrayed by my government and disappointed that my countrymen would let this happen in our states.

These truly are the end of days.

(on an irrelevant anecdotal note, the last full service station around here went out of business a few months ago.)

"gas not full penalty"???

Must have been a rental car. When you turn them back in, and the tank isn't full, they will charge you something like double for each gallon it takes to top it off.

MelissaWV
07-02-2009, 05:15 PM
"Gas not full" penalty. When you return a rental car, they want the tank filled. If it is not filled, they will add the charge for the gas to your bill. Sometimes this charge is at an inflated rate, rather than what you'd find at a gas station on your own.

torchbearer
07-02-2009, 05:16 PM
I was thinking they did this to prevent people from stealing gas.
still, should be owner of the station's choice.

Steeleye
07-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Customer doesn't pump their own gas, then customer really doesn't have the chance to drive off :D Honestly, this used to be thought of as a major bonus/convenience. I'd pay a couple of cents extra per gallon to go to a full-service station. Man. I even hear legends that those folks used to check your oil and fill up your washer fluid!!!

But no, not even such nirvana should be mandated. Should be up to the business owner.

Actually, gas is cheaper here in NJ than in Pennsylvania and Delaware where they pump their own gas. I've always wondered why that is.

torchbearer
07-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Actually, gas is cheaper here in NJ than in Pennsylvania and Delaware where they pump their own gas. I've always wondered why that is.

taxes?
We produce gasoline in my state and its more expensive here than it is in states where the fuel has to be trucked in.

Steeleye
07-02-2009, 06:47 PM
taxes?
We produce gasoline in my state and its more expensive here than it is in states where the fuel has to be trucked in.

That could be it. But I don't see PA or DE having higher fuel taxes than NJ. We also have the highest sales tax rate in the Tristate Area at 7%.