PDA

View Full Version : Do you know a waitress?

disorderlyvision
07-02-2009, 12:16 PM

georgiaboy
07-02-2009, 12:37 PM
cool. although, from what i'm hearing, tips are drying up these days or being dramatically reduced.

torchbearer
07-02-2009, 12:42 PM
cool. although, from what i'm hearing, tips are drying up these days or being dramatically reduced.

this is true.
people are first cutting back on tips before cutting back on what they purchase.

Dreamofunity
07-02-2009, 01:11 PM
YouTube - Atmosphere - The waitress (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFJSFLXZslA)

Romulus
07-02-2009, 01:16 PM

If people have to cut back, it should be done in other areas instead of cheaping out on tipping the server.

georgiaboy
07-02-2009, 01:29 PM
well, it works to the detriment of the server either way. if you cut the tip, or cut the amount you order (no drinks, no appetizers, no dessert), the waiter still ends up on the short end.

disorderlyvision
07-02-2009, 01:44 PM

Romulus
07-02-2009, 02:08 PM
well, it works to the detriment of the server either way. if you cut the tip, or cut the amount you order (no drinks, no appetizers, no dessert), the waiter still ends up on the short end.

I was speaking more in terms of buying that extra pair of shoes you don't need.

We still need to spend and I'd rather support the locals and enjoy a meal with my family vs. buying useless material items.

torchbearer
07-02-2009, 02:09 PM
My ol lady is a waitress, and so far she is still making good money.

she is not the norm.
our restaurant is seeing the same monetary income but not our servers.

StilesBC
07-02-2009, 02:11 PM
No, this is a way around the income tax and minimum wage laws.

Kraig
07-02-2009, 02:11 PM
I still don't like this idea of tax cuts for the few. Why should I have to pay taxes for my labor yet a waitress doesn't because she gets tips? There should be a bill to abolish income and employment taxes completely, that is something I could support.

torchbearer
07-02-2009, 02:12 PM
I still don't like this idea of tax cuts for the few. Why should I have to pay taxes for my labor yet a waitress doesn't because she gets tips? There should be a bill to abolish income and employment taxes completely, that is something I could support.

servers don't claim the majority of their tips anyway- technically making 90% of them criminals.

Romulus
07-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Well yes but that might not happen, Until then lets not tax MORE labor. If you have that much of a problem, change jobs.

Kraig
07-02-2009, 02:28 PM
servers don't claim the majority of their tips anyway- technically making 90% of them criminals.

Yep. I have never known a server that claims their cash tips.

torchbearer
07-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Yep. I have never known a server that claims their cash tips.

I've met one that claimed it all, but that is because they were planning to buy a house and they needed the reported income.
Claiming about $3-$4 an hour in tips in normal... and even then- servers will get a $0 check for the regular hours. Here the minimum rate for servers is $2.13 an hour.
Restaurants get away with cheap labor by forcing servers to do kitchen prep work.

Kraig
07-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Restaurants get away with cheap labor by forcing servers to do kitchen prep work.

Yeah that is always a big complaint, nothing like doing the same job for $2 an hour that others are I don't support the minimum wage laws, but that kind of stuff sure does make a joke of them.

Met Income
07-02-2009, 04:19 PM
If people have to cut back, it should be done in other areas instead of cheaping out on tipping the server.

So servers should benefit from X% of the bill during good times, but not during bad?

Arklatex
07-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Tips are a great convo piece to introduce people to Ron Paul. That and people complaining about the IRS.

Just the other day I asked the pizza boy "did you go the tax protests today?" He said no but this year he paid in to the system, didn't get any money back. I asked him "you pay taxes on your tips don't ya" he then vented and I agreed, told him about Ron Paul wanting to remove taxes on tips completely - he was sold.

I'm telling yall, we let certain groups know about Ron Paul he'll win in a landslide. These include: waiters (there's a lot of them) bartenders, small business owners, potheads, those who watch the history channel, admirers of the founding fathers, home schoolers. These groups of people overwhelming support Paul the key is just reaching them.

Small efforts here and there go a long way.

Optatron
07-04-2009, 02:26 AM
how about some responsibility?

YouTube - Tipping is for the Birds! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5ODhIFawfs)

disorderlyvision
07-04-2009, 07:49 AM

disorderlyvision
07-04-2009, 07:50 AM
[.

KenInMontiMN
07-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Its a small, but worthy step to legalize non-reporting of cash gifts between individual citizens. Even if income taxes remain standing, direct gifts between a customer and a server with no employer involvement should be considered a private matter, of no interest whatsoever to the govt.

Optatron
07-08-2009, 02:36 AM
vid didn't work, but I assume it was anti-tipping by the title. I bet you have ate a lot of spit. Don't be rude to people that handle your food.

what a threat!

Objectivist
07-08-2009, 03:41 AM
Now they have gifts in their sights? Fuckers.