PDA

View Full Version : The Answer to: WHO is Spending HOW MUCH on Lobbying??

dannno
07-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Who is Spending What on Lobbying?

The following totals are for the first quarter of 2009:

1) $42 Million: Health Care, Health Insurance, & Pharma
2) $31 Million: Oil
3) $20 Million: War
4) $17 Million: Telecoms
5) $15 Million: Financial
6) $10 Million: Automotive
7) $7 Million: Life Insurance
8) $6 Million: Biotech

See a full list of what specific corporations are investing in sculpting public policy in their favor:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_18394.cfm

Out of curiosity I decided to see who was spending the most on lobbying in America. And Oh My Goodness - NO WONDER our policy sucks. No wonder it's nearly impossible to pass health care reform that provides all Americans with affordable care, a global warming bill that doesn't suck, and the Employee Free Choice Act. No wonder we're in these two stupid wars. I know everyone's aware of the problems lobbying poses to our country, but good lord, if people saw the sheer magnitude of it (and the comparatively paltry amounts spent in the people's interest) they would be outraged. So here goes. Here's the list of the top 100 (ranked by amount spent on lobbying in Q109). Enjoy.

:eek:

Also interesting...

However, many (if not most) of these corporations ALSO contract out to private lobbying firms, so the amounts you see here MIGHT not be the total amount they spent on lobbying in Q109. For example, Monsanto spent $2,094,000 for its in house lobbying but then contracted out to Arent Fox LLP; Lesher, Russell & Barron, Inc. ($60,000); Ogilvy Government Relations ($60,000); Parven Pomper Strategies ($40,000); Sidley Austin LLP; TCH Group, LLC ($50,000); The Nickles Group, LLC ($63,000); The Washington Tax Group, LLC ($40,000); and Troutman Sanders Public Affairs Group ($30,000) - for a total of $2,437,000 in first quarter 2009.

LittleLightShining
07-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Did you just get your Organic Consumers newsletter? :p

Zippyjuan
07-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Shouldn't lobbying be allowed in a free market system? Businesses and individuals allowed to spend their money on whatever they want? Or should we have a goverment regulate them? Individuals have the right to lobby too- they just don't have the money or focus strong enough on particular issues to get their word in. Freedom of speach under the Constitution?

No, I am not in favor of financial lobbying.

LittleLightShining
07-02-2009, 02:23 AM
I think paid lobbyists are a scourge. The whole idea of money spent to influence a legislator's vote is wrong. Certainly people should be able to plead or argue their case for or against legislation, but normal people do not get the same attention as people bearing gifts. It's unfair. If groups or industries want to sway policy let them sway public opinion and build popular support.