disorderlyvision
07-01-2009, 10:05 AM
[.

acptulsa
07-01-2009, 10:07 AM
They can be hacked, too.

Kludge
07-01-2009, 10:10 AM
You mean they don't have "ethics" naturally?

Are they insane?!

muh_roads
07-01-2009, 10:11 AM
A federal law I'd have no problem with is a law that prevents a company to create a machine that can become self-aware.

You need to look no further than The Matrix or Terminator as to why we must ensure that this doesn't happen as technology advances.

jclay2
07-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Wow, a robot performs actions using a pre programmed set of instructions. Why am I not impressed?

NYgs23
07-01-2009, 01:00 PM
This can only turn out badly.

rpfan2008
07-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Wow, a robot performs actions using a pre programmed set of instructions. Why am I not impressed?

Ya, any robot is not 'intelligent' unless it can makeup stories, imagine and actually create something original. Only thing these articles do is degrade the meanings of few words, like change etc.

Indy Vidual
07-01-2009, 02:00 PM
They can be hacked, too.

Sorry folks,
"Your son was killed by a drone who was reprogrammed by the same people who maintain the voting machines in Ohio." :(

Question: Why does the USA need to lead the world in creating killer machines?
Answer: To defend ourselves... :confused:

Insanity on steroids.

Dreamofunity
07-01-2009, 03:34 PM
I find it kind of cool. Obviously I'd rather not have killer robots blowing up shit and killing people, but if and since we do, I'd much rather them be programed not to shoot near hospitals, etc.

Edit: he actually talks about the ethics of roboticists, not as cool.

silverhawks
07-01-2009, 03:55 PM

Does this impress you more?

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2008/10/packs-of-robots-will-hunt-down.html

Because I'm sure the government will be 100% ethically responsible in their deployment and use against "uncooperative humans".

Particularly interested in this part of the article:

"These ideas will not be used tomorrow, but in the war after next, and in very constrained situations." Arkin is quoted in New Scientist. "The most important outcome of my research is not the architecture, but the discussion that it stimulates."