PDA

View Full Version : 7 Children Shot Near Detroit School - 3 Critical - <shrug>

Cowlesy
07-01-2009, 04:37 AM
http://freep.com/article/20090630/NEWS01/90630050/Gunfire+wounds+7+Detroit+teens++3+critically

Seven teenagers were wounded — three critically — after they were sprayed with gunfire this afternoon by two masked men at a bus stop near Cody 9th Grade Academy on the city’s west side.
Advertisement

Police later recovered a green minivan about a mile away that they believed the gunmen used to flee.

Five of the seven victims were taking classes at Cody. Two boys, ages 14 and 16, and a girl, 17, were in critical condition at Sinai-Grace Hospital.

Four other victims were taken to Henry Ford Hospital. A 17-year-old boy was in serious condition, a 17-year-old girl was in temporary serious condition, and a 15-year-old boy and a 16-year-old girl were in stable condition, Detroit police said.

It was the second shooting in as many weeks near a Detroit Public school offering free summer school classes.

I didn't put the <shrug> there to show my indifference, but to highlight what I see as the indifference about these kids getting shot in the media. I haven't heard a BYTE about it on the newschannels, yet they're STILL talking about James Von Brunn who shot 1 security guard. And I do not in any terms mean to marginalize the security guard's family's loss by saying that, but seven (#@)$#@ kids were shot at ONCE yesterday outside a school!

The point of this post is not to get into one of those philosophical arguments about "well 4 guys in Iraq were killed yesterday...or 800 kids starved in Uganda yesterday...why aren't you outraged about that" circular arguments, merely just to highlight what I see is selective media coverage.

acptulsa
07-01-2009, 06:30 AM
A death sentence for volunteering for summer school.

So why isn't this being trumpeted all over like Columbine was? Because the gunmen weren't good enough shots to kill anyone? Or is (whatever race they were)-on-(whatever race the victims were) crime isn't the focus of the moment..?

Selective indeed.

Cowlesy
07-01-2009, 09:27 AM
A death sentence for volunteering for summer school.

So why isn't this being trumpeted all over like Columbine was? Because the gunmen weren't good enough shots to kill anyone? Or is (whatever race they were)-on-(whatever race the victims were) crime isn't the focus of the moment..?

Selective indeed.

Yeah I think you nailed it.

kojirodensetsu
07-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Not enough spice. Media loves crimes with spice. For instance that guard that was killed cause of racism. In that case racism was the spice.

catdd
07-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Race wasn't involved so the media treats it like another boring murder.

Cowlesy
07-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Race wasn't involved so the media treats it like another boring murder.

Yeah, I guess "not enough spice is pretty much it".

swed
07-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Yeah murders like this happen all the time in detroit. Black on black crime the media doesn't care about. Now that I think about it, the media rarely cares if a black person kills somebody.

Vessol
07-01-2009, 06:48 PM
News is too busy with Michael Jackson to worry about anything else, sry

FSP-Rebel
07-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Glad I rolled outta that shithole.