PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Software Firm Acquires The Pirate Bay For $7.7 Million

disorderlyvision
06-30-2009, 10:03 PM
[.

torchbearer
06-30-2009, 10:15 PM
A very sad day for TPB.

torchbearer
06-30-2009, 10:16 PM
I've been a member for years... I would have never thought they'd sell out.
Well, there is still demonoid... if you can get an invite.

Austin
06-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Damn, and they were going to launch a censorship-free version of YouTube..

VideoBay (http://thevideobay.org/)

ChaosControl
06-30-2009, 10:38 PM
I didn't use TPB much, mostly just use mininova...

Still, that sucks.

torchbearer
06-30-2009, 10:41 PM
I didn't use TPB much, mostly just use mininova...

Still, that sucks.
mininova is ok. i have an account there... but they didn't have the volume of TPB.

Kludge
06-30-2009, 10:41 PM
//

Brassmouth
06-30-2009, 10:48 PM
I've been a member for years... I would have never thought they'd sell out.
Well, there is still demonoid... if you can get an invite.

Yeah, demonoid is great.

This is tragic though. A great loss.

Ninja Homer
06-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Damn, if they take down TPB's tracker, there's going to be like a million dead torrents. Hopefully they redirect or something rather than just dropping it.

Mininova is nice, but it's really just a well-moderated database of other torrent sites with a decent search engine and comments. They have their own tracker, but it doesn't get used much. Most of the torrents on mininova use TPB's tracker.

Demonoid still rules.

If they change TPB too much, they just wasted $7.7 million on some servers and useless code, and another dozen torrent sites will pop up to take its place.

Vessol
06-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Well they did have a lawsuit to pay for. Still a sad day.

Reminds me of when Google bought out Youtube. Before, Youtube was this great new place..now..ugh.

Private trackers FTW though. PM me if you want a Demonoid invite code.

muh_roads
06-30-2009, 11:59 PM
The dude owes 3.6 million. I'd do the same...screw peeps calling me a sellout if I did. He has to look out for his own interests too.

demonoid is all a person needs anyway. I sure wish axxo would come back...lol

Peace&Freedom
07-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Damn, if they take down TPB's tracker, there's going to be like a million dead torrents. Hopefully they redirect or something rather than just dropping it.

If they change TPB too much, they just wasted $7.7 million on some servers and useless code, and another dozen torrent sites will pop up to take its place.

Below the radar of TPB mouthing the capitulating rhetoric, they're not just selling it and getting rich. They are launching other smaller public trackers to make it harder to stop bittorrent traffic.

They're keeping the torrent database intact. They want to create mini sites, that all share the same network database and pull away from one mega site like piratebay. Once again protecting its users and making it harder to pull their network down.

Dreamofunity
07-01-2009, 02:39 AM
If they expect people to start paying for torrents another dozen sites will just pop up or become more popular, not sure what type of changes they could make that would make the copyright and companies happy other than that.

rpfan2008
07-01-2009, 03:56 AM
http://btjunkie.org/ is the best torrent search engine. Specially for something which is hard to find.

cindy25
07-01-2009, 04:05 AM
Mininova was the best, but since their censorship policy they are useful only for their forum.

it is true that if they screw it up they just wasted 7 mil.