PDA

View Full Version : What should the libertarian position on recogonizing other countries be?

Rael
06-30-2009, 08:29 PM
With situations like Taiwain, Honduras etc, where the leaders of the other countries are in dispute, how do libertarians decide who to recognize? At some point we have to decide so that we know who we should deal with when working with other countries. Otherwise any random dude could claim to be the president of any other countries.

james1906
06-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Yeah, I've wondered this too. I find the whole process quite arbitrary. There's a number of de facto countries out there we refuse to recognize.

I support neutrality, but eventually you need to take some basic steps in dealing with a nation. Why is there no American embassy in Somaliland? Transnistria? Taiwan?

Pod
06-30-2009, 09:05 PM
With situations like Taiwain, Honduras etc, where the leaders of the other countries are in dispute, how do libertarians decide who to recognize? At some point we have to decide so that we know who we should deal with when working with other countries. Otherwise any random dude could claim to be the president of any other countries.

Whoever sends us a gift of seven maidens.

Pennsylvania
06-30-2009, 09:08 PM

Do not recognize any of them.

Andrew-Austin
06-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Don't recognize any of them, its kind of a stupid gesture.

If a foreign government is an outright totalitarian shit hole, just ignore them, or perhaps better yet speaking as an individual and not a politician, tell them that they suck.

Indy Vidual
06-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Free trade with the private sector.

South Park Fan
06-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Allow individuals to choose whether or not to recognize their governments.