PDA

View Full Version : Flash donation applet

mdh
06-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Hey folks,
Can anyone here hack up a flash donation applet like so many sites have for some pro-liberty campaigns and other such organizations I'm involved with? If so, let me know - mdh@lpwv.org. I am running several state house and county commission candidates in 2010!

Thanks, Matt

MyLibertyStuff
06-30-2009, 02:52 PM
I would also like to know where to find this

brandon
06-30-2009, 02:59 PM
To have a flash donation applet you first need to have some sort of web applet/database that keeps track of how much money has been donated.

Once you have this, building the flash applet is pretty easy.

nayjevin
06-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Donation comes in (via paypal, credit card, whatever)
Amount of donation is inserted into database (think Excel)
After each addition of a new donation, the sum is calculated (and stored in a variable, for x=new donation, sum=sum+x)
The sum is then sent to the applet to display (along with other spreadsheet array fields, such as name of donater)

I can't do it, but it's not that difficult.

Beware of anyone trying to sell this code -- it should be open source.

brandon
06-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Donation comes in (via paypal, credit card, whatever)
Amount of donation is inserted into database (think Excel)
After each addition of a new donation, the sum is calculated (and stored in a variable, for x=new donation, sum=sum+x)
The sum is then sent to the applet to display (along with other spreadsheet array fields, such as name of donater)

I can't do it, but it's not that difficult.

Beware of anyone trying to sell this code -- it should be open source.

Yep exactly. It's pretty easy to do. I would be willing to code this for a project that I thought was big enough that it would be worthwhile. At this time, I don't think it would be worth the effort to do something like this just for someone seeking a relatively low level state position. I;m sure you can find someone else that can do this for free though.

mdh
06-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Saying it's easy and it actually being doable for my un-artistically-inclined/no knowledge of flash having self are two different things. ;p

I'm definitely interested in getting one though for use for our state campaigns and the state party in general for various fundraising events (we're doing ballot access right now for 2010)

I'm fine with updating a text file on the web server or something with donation amount and such. Pulling it automatically from my processor probably isn't possible.

TheState
07-01-2009, 06:31 AM
Saying it's easy and it actually being doable for my un-artistically-inclined/no knowledge of flash having self are two different things. ;p

I'm definitely interested in getting one though for use for our state campaigns and the state party in general for various fundraising events (we're doing ballot access right now for 2010)

I'm fine with updating a text file on the web server or something with donation amount and such. Pulling it automatically from my processor probably isn't possible.

I have been on the search for a free flash donation meter also for the YAL at Ohio State website. I want something fancier than the chip-in we have now. Please let me know if you find anything. I haven't been able to find a free one.

mdh
07-01-2009, 06:55 AM
Chipin is useless for me since we do not and will not use paypal. I use donortownsquare.com, which is owned by former Libertarian Virginia state senate candidate Arin Sime.

It's much easier to work with than paypal, which demands tons of faxes for documents that you may or may not have, and has absolutely no understanding of political campaign finance either federal or state.