PDA

View Full Version : Legislation: A piece of true liberty legislation

Coiler
06-30-2009, 10:42 AM
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d111:19:./temp/~bdsuG4::|/bss/|

You talk so often about "liberty" and "freedom", and yet seem to be ignoring this long overdue piece of legislation that would give millions of Americans true liberty and freedom-the freedom to work without having to worry about being fired for something they cannot control.

This bill isn't a hate crimes bill, and it does not take away any rights, only giving them. This something we should be faxbombing every Congresscritter with our approval, for true liberty!

acptulsa
06-30-2009, 10:56 AM
That link isn't getting me to the bill in question.

FrankRep
06-30-2009, 10:58 AM
What's the bill called?

Coiler
06-30-2009, 11:07 AM
What's the bill called?

The Employee Non-Discrimination Act of 2009. Its bill number is H.R. 3017.

ARealConservative
06-30-2009, 11:08 AM
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d111:19:./temp/~bdsuG4::|/bss/|

You talk so often about "liberty" and "freedom", and yet seem to be ignoring this long overdue piece of legislation that would give millions of Americans true liberty and freedom-the freedom to work without having to worry about being fired for something they cannot control.

This bill isn't a hate crimes bill, and it does not take away any rights, only giving them. This something we should be faxbombing every Congresscritter with our approval, for true liberty!

without knowing the bill, I can tell it has nothing to do with liberty and freedom and is some form of entitlement based on your description.

You are what I describe as a class warfare advocate as you ignore the freedom of the employer and only concern yourself with the working class.

ARealConservative
06-30-2009, 11:09 AM
The Employee Non-Discrimination Act of 2009.

I knew it.

Would you also endorse a "Dating Non-Discrimination Act" as some sort of protection of liberty?

mods - feel free to move this thread out of grassroots, it has nothing to do with the liberty philosophy and Ron Paul would never ever vote for such unconstitutional legislation.

Rangeley
06-30-2009, 11:23 AM
What about freedom of association?

AuH2O
06-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Is this a joke?

Was the 1964 Civil Rights Act watershed liberty legislation in your opinion as well?

FrankRep
06-30-2009, 11:31 AM
The Employee Non-Discrimination Act of 2009. Its bill number is H.R. 3017.

More government isn't liberty.

ARealConservative
06-30-2009, 11:32 AM
What about freedom of association?

Exactly.

And how powerful of a government is needed to police peoples minds?

Imagine a world where you are not allowed to discriminate. When you buy a car from someone, when you ask people out on dates, who you choose to eat with at lunch break, etc, etc.

Who in their right minds would call it a liberty bill by telling people they are not free to discriminate?

Imperial
06-30-2009, 11:57 AM
The problem with this type of legislation isn't the law, which makes a valid point. I think the problem is the enforcement, and there is no easy way to change that without a paradigm shift.

Rangeley
06-30-2009, 12:06 PM
The problem with this type of legislation isn't the law, which makes a valid point. I think the problem is the enforcement, and there is no easy way to change that without a paradigm shift.
Its not just enforcement, its the concept of the law itself. People have a right to associate with people they want to associate with. And it goes both ways - if someone wants to be bigoted, you can exercise your right and not associate with them, or give them your business.

TastyWheat
06-30-2009, 12:23 PM
This bill isn't a hate crimes bill, and it does not take away any rights, only giving them.
Rights cannot be given, they can only be taken. The government, most of all, does not have the power to give us rights, liberty, or freedom. Though I agree with the spirit of this bill, that sexual orientation or identity should not be a factor in hiring employees, forcing the hands of bigots is no way to rid them of their hatred. I imagine their hatred would even grow from such legislation.