PDA

View Full Version : My beliefs on Liberty

LibertiORDeth
06-29-2009, 11:59 PM
To start with I'm going to define a few words I use throughout the text:

Aggression: Commit or threaten to commit an act violence.
Liberty: Freedom of choice; The right to act within your will without coercion.
Violence: The use of force against a person and/or compelling them to act against their will.
Voluntaryism: Nothing consensual or non-aggressive is wrong, and anything to the contrary is.

I figured I'd post this to make clear my basic philosophical and realistic view on freedom and liberty. Most people think I am an Anarchist. What I do know is I hold one firm belief, which is this:
You have a right to do whatever you want with yourselves, as long as it doesn't interfere with the rights of me, my family, or my friends to do what we want with ourselves. I believe in the Non-aggression principle, first stated by Epicurus:
"The justice of nature is a pledge of reciprocal usefulness, neither to harm one another nor be harmed."
More recently Murray Rothbard stated it thusly:
"No one may threaten or commit violence ('aggress') against another man's person or property. Violence may be employed only against the man who commits such violence; that is, only defensively against the aggressive violence of another. In short, no violence may be employed against a non-aggressor. Here is the fundamental rule from which can be deduced the entire corpus of libertarian theory."
If anyone wants to create any sort of non-aggressive governmental system he/she pleases I will do whatever possible to support and protect it. I cannot, therefore, define myself as an anarchist anymore, and am now going with the term Voluntaryist.
This is why I think that the only right worth fighting for in this government is the ability to peaceably leave it, and not put anything into it or take out of it. If we had this right, all of the problems would be solved, since that would keep the government from interfering in our lives.
I still haven't figured out what the ideal form of government (or lack of it) is, and that's not really important to me, so I really don't want to have to come up with many opinions on this, I just want the right to live at peace with all men, without having to control others and not allowing them to control me.
I just wrote this up so it would be easier to formulate in my mind, and because I sort of want to remove any political tags placed on me. This essentially sums up what I believe, and any other statement or topic goes straight back to this as the root.