PDA

View Full Version : PC repair techs serve as police spies

disorderlyvision
06-29-2009, 09:43 AM
[.

pcosmar
06-29-2009, 09:53 AM
I knew I saw something related, so I went looking for it again.
I don't know if any other states have done this.
Texas PC Repair Now Requires PI License

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2324220,00.asp
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20080701/0335461566.shtml

To be honest, this whole thing sounds like garden variety protectionism, similar to state laws that required people selling goods on eBay to spend a year or more to get an auctioneer's license. These laws aren't about protecting consumers, but about limiting the number of competitors in the market itself. Hopefully Texas gets rid of it before someone is fined and tossed in jail for cleaning spyware out of someone's computer.
Michigan is safe as yet.

Computer Repair/Service

Required State License(s):

No state license is required for repairs. However, if products or parts are included in the service or repair, a sales tax licenses is required. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4660 and request a 518 form.

Kraig
06-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Wow states rights saving the day, what a fucked up law. I live in Texas and I make a living doing computer repair! Good think I am not self employed right now, I would like to keep the option though!

tangent4ronpaul
06-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Ah man! - you mean you can still go to Mexico to watch a donkey show, but you can't take a couple of snapshots to "remember the moment" - what a bummer... :rolleyes:

I'm amazed sheep farmers aren't up in arms about this. Why isn't the mutton love lobby all over this?

I kind of wonder if this has anything to do with Manga and political speech. For those not familiar, depictions of octopuses in Manga having sex with other characters (tentacles) is political speech about US/UK imperialism and messing with other countries. It's done that way to give the artists denyability as political speech is suppressed in Japan. ie: "oh, no - it didn't mean that at all - you just didn't understand"... but everyone knows that's exactly what it was about.

Actually, this seems to be a UK law, and like most nanny state garbage it's total BS.

The trend to license and permit every profession and turn those so licensed into state agents is very concerning.

-t

akihabro
06-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Ive never taken my computer in for repair! And I never will. I wouldn't be surprised if these repair places voluntarily call the police if they find questionable material.

ChaosControl
06-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Glad I fix my own computer if there are any problems.

devil21
06-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Hmm...sounds like an unmet market requirement to me.

Liberty PC Service and Repair.
"No, we won't snitch on you to the pigs!"

akihabro
06-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Hmm...sounds like an unmet market requirement to me.

Liberty PC Service and Repair.
"No, we won't snitch on you to the pigs!"

Or copy the pics of your naked girlfriend. ;)

torchbearer
06-30-2009, 01:47 PM
This is one computer tech that would never do that shit.