PDA

View Full Version : Celebratory mood angers some US officials as Iraqis mark US street exit with holiday

Liberty Star
06-28-2009, 07:22 PM
After huge cost to US tax payers and close to 80,000 US troops seriously wounded, maimed or killed in Iraq, should Iraqis be marking US exit with a celeberation? Is some US officials' anger over this Iraqi holiday celeberation justified or misplaced?

Iraqis to mark US street exit with holiday

• 30 June troop pullout seen as return to sovereignty
• Celebratory mood angers some American officials

guardian.co.uk, Sunday 28 June 2009

Iraq has declared tomorrow a national holiday and is planning festivals to mark the end of the US presence on the streets of its towns and cities, more than six years after Saddam Hussein was ousted.

The much-anticipated milestone has been hailed as a return to sovereignty by Iraqi officials, who have maintained sometimes difficult relations with the US military throughout the years of occupation.

But the celebratory mood has angered some senior US officials and military commanders, who believe intensive training efforts with Iraqi forces have been forsaken, along with combat operations that have cost at least several thousand American lives since the fall of Baghdad.

The Iraqi prime minister, Nouri al-Maliki, fuelled US anger at the weekend by describing the withdrawal as the result of Iraq's successful bid to "repulse" the invaders. "We are on the threshold of a new phase that will bolster Iraq's sovereignty. It is a message to the world that we are now able to safeguard our security and administer our own affairs," Maliki said in an interview with the French newspaper Le Monde.

Under the new arrangements the US military will be reduced to a supporting role; it will only be able to join operations at Iraq's invitation and will no longer be able to conduct solo combat operations.

From tomorrow, 130,000 US troops will almost exclusively be confined to bases from where they will gradually leave Iraq ahead of a final departure in mid-2011.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jun/28/iraq-holiday-us-withdrawal

Bman
06-28-2009, 07:36 PM
After huge cost to US tax payers and close to 80,000 US troops seriously wounded, maimed or killed in Iraq, should Iraqis be marking US exit with a celeberation? Is some US officials' anger over this Iraqi holiday celeberation justified or misplaced?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jun/28/iraq-holiday-us-withdrawal

That is a good reason to celebrate good for them. Hopefully they tell the U.S. to stay home.

Young Paleocon
06-28-2009, 07:47 PM
does 80,000 include ptss? I thought wounded was 30,000, just curious.

Liberty Star
06-28-2009, 08:00 PM
That is a good reason to celebrate good for them. Hopefully they tell the U.S. to stay home.

Ok, but from US sacrifice standpoint it does seem bit odd the way they are marking this day.

does 80,000 include ptss? I thought wounded was 30,000, just curious.

These were 2007 numbers, total numbers to date would be higher than those cited in original post:

THE MCLAUGHLIN GROUP

HOST: JOHN MCLAUGHLIN
PANEL: PATRICK BUCHANAN, MSNBC; ELEANOR CLIFT, NEWSWEEK; TONY BLANKLEY, THE WASHINGTON TIMES; JAMES WARREN, THE CHICAGO TRIBUNE
TAPED: FRIDAY, MARCH 30, 2007 BROADCAST: WEEKEND OF MARCH 31-APRIL 1, 2007

The human toll:

U.S. military dead in Iraq, 3,244;
U.S. military amputeed, wounded, injured, severely injured, mentally ill, all now out of Iraq, 73,570;
Iraq civilians dead, 139,500.

http://www.mclaughlin.com/library/transcript.asp?id=589

evilfunnystuff
06-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Ok, but from US sacrifice standpoint it does seem bit odd the way they are marking this day.
http://www.mclaughlin.com/library/transcript.asp?id=589

if someone was all up in my shit i would be celebrating their departure also regardless of the fact that they MAY have cleaned SOME of my garage

i wouldnt care what sacrifices they made, they came over without my permissiion trashed my house, and then run around actin like their the shit braggin about how they cleaned my garage while not mentioning all the damage and messes they created

acptulsa
06-29-2009, 09:29 AM
They'll be even more surprised when the find the people here at home wildly celebrating getting them out of the middle of our business and our lives too. Gotta love the shock when the busybodies finally figure out that they aren't helping, aren't wanted and aren't going to be missed.

angelatc
06-29-2009, 09:30 AM

Misplaced.

Bman
06-29-2009, 09:31 AM

Do you think Iraqis care anything about US sacrifices? If anything this is a glaring example of why the Bush doctrine was an utter failure. If anyone doesn't like it they need look no further than a mirror.

Cleaner44
06-29-2009, 09:40 AM

Why would the Iraqi people care about U.S. politicians sacrificing U.S. military members for businessmen's interests? :confused:

Pepsi
06-29-2009, 09:42 AM
justified

georgiaboy
06-29-2009, 09:47 AM
misplaced.

Whether an Iraqi is happy with our being there or not, it makes perfect sense that they'd be happy with foreign troops leaving their country.

acptulsa
06-29-2009, 09:48 AM
justified

We the most powerful nation on earth waltzed into a nation which wasn't the most pleasant place on Earth to live but was stable and egregiously started blowing $#!+ up, and our politicians who know they didn't ask for us to show up and screw everything up get their panties in a knot because their decision to sacrifice the lives of others didn't get them any petunias thrown at them, and you call that justified?

Sometimes this nation reminds me of the all-powerful child in that Twilight Zone episode. What are these babies capable of justifying in their own peanut brains? "And you know what we say when something unjust descends on us out of the blue. It's good. It's good those big assed babies in Washington D.C. unilaterally decided to trash our little country..."

Pepsi
06-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Yes it is justified that Iraqis would mark U.S. street exit with a holiday.

Kraig
06-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Fuck yeah, if the fascist pigs were leaving my country I would be celebrating too!

angelatc
06-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Yes it is justified that Iraqis would mark U.S. street exit with a holiday.

I think you misread the original question. it asked if US politicians were justified or misguided by being miffed about the celebrations.

I did the same thing.

Sandman33
06-29-2009, 11:24 AM
I guess we're leaving now that we set them up with a nice new banking system. I'm sure there were weapons of mass destruction there:rolleyes:

Flash
06-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Another reason why interventionalism--especially in THAT party of the world is retarded.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-29-2009, 11:34 AM
30 June troop pullout seen as return to sovereignty

lol. That sounds like a big lie to me, anyway.

Maybe they could make a holiday out of that lie and make it more believable.

Oh, and if US officials act miffed by it, it'll give the lie even more credibility.

Sounds like bullshit 101 to me.