PDA

View Full Version : Update on Constitutional Private Schools

carla8478
06-28-2009, 06:39 PM
For those of you that haven't heard yet, we have launched the LFPL (Legacy Foundation for Principled Learning). One of our big projects is to get a chain of private schools going so that the principles of the founders will be perpetuated.

Our program has also been very successful in helping students develop a new appreciation and understanding of academics too, of course.

The update is that we have now launched a page on the website dedicated to education. We have also posted a new "Articles" page on the site. So come check us out at www.lfpl.info (http://www.lfpl.info).

We need your help to make this successful.

1)Write to your favorite websites and blogs and ask them to link to us at www.lfpl.info.

2)Spread the word any way you can, send a message out to people in your email address book or contact list.

3)Make a contribution. Understanding the economic crunch we have designed a program for smaller contributions. Enroll for just $5, $10, or $15 a month.

Thanks for your support.

heavenlyboy34
06-28-2009, 06:44 PM
awesome! Would it help If I linked to your site in my blog? :)

carla8478
06-28-2009, 07:29 PM
awesome! Would it help If I linked to your site in my blog? :)
Absolutely, we would appreciate that, thanks!

carla8478
06-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Bump

carla8478
06-29-2009, 07:25 PM
bump

Bluesky0081
06-29-2009, 07:29 PM
I find this to be a good idea. It is a great alternative to the "relgious" private schools. Although its fine to have religious private schools, I would like to see private schools that are oriented towards everyone, athiest and believers in a god.

If you make a school like this, will it be K-12? I want to see private schools like this that go to high school level at least.

The public school system is failing in the USA. We need a new system and it seems private may be the only way to go right now until public schools can fix their issues.

carla8478
06-30-2009, 01:45 PM
I find this to be a good idea. It is a great alternative to the "relgious" private schools. Although its fine to have religious private schools, I would like to see private schools that are oriented towards everyone, athiest and believers in a god.

If you make a school like this, will it be K-12? I want to see private schools like this that go to high school level at least.

The public school system is failing in the USA. We need a new system and it seems private may be the only way to go right now until public schools can fix their issues.

Bluesky you must not have visited the website. Our schools will not be an alternative to religious private schools. Our schools will teach morality. However, we will not be teaching any specific religious doctrine. That is more properly the role of the parents and whatever respective churches they may choose. We will be teaching the basic spiritual fundamentals that Benjamin Franklin described as common across almost all denominations. The 5 fundamentals that he thought should be taught in schools are:

1)There exists a Creator who made all things, and mankind should recognize and worship Him.

2)The Creator has revealed a moral code of behavior for happy living which distinguishes right from wrong.

3)The Creator holds mankind responsible for the way they treat each other.

4)All mankind live beyond this life.

5)In the next life mankind are judged for their conduct in this one.

Our schools will be K-12.

I am glad you brought this up because this is an important issue and an important question. I am going to have my colleague Roy submit a post to explain more.

Minarchy4Sale
06-30-2009, 01:46 PM
great idea. best of luck with it!

carla8478
06-30-2009, 03:33 PM

Hey Bluesky, Carla asked if I would comment on your post. My name is Roy, I hope you're having a great day! I agree with some of what you said. The area I differ with you on is taking God or religion out. But, if you are saying that there needs to be a balance in relation to religion then I agree. However, it is the influence of God in the classroom that is a key factor in producing an environment that is conducive to learning.

Regarding current educational programs, your thoughts are right on. Our centers will go up through high school, and yes we do have schools in this country that are failing both in the public sector and the private sector.

Our program offers an educational environment that is positive, uplifting and morally sound. Our curriculum is principle based and Bible based and centered around the family.

We encourage all beliefs to participate, we do not segregate because of differing beliefs or anything else. We do not indoctrinate our students as some schools have a tendency to do. What we focus on is family, service projects, and in the process our students receive a great education. Our program covers academic principles, principles in good government, and spiritual principles. Yes we do incorporate God into our program, and we say the pledge of allegiance. We are strong on America. We also operate on the premise that parents ought to be the ones who guide their children in the way they should go. It is our responsibility to present appropriate information to assist them in achieving their educational goals.

We know that our young people are our future, and what they learn today, will be part of who they become tomorrow. Through our program students can: develop positive attitudes towards themselves and those around them, become strong self-thinkers, and acquire a love of learning.

Bluesky0081
06-30-2009, 04:22 PM
On this, I have a question. I assume you will have sports teams as well? On this, for individual sports, I believe that a student should have a right to train him or herself if he or she see's that the program isn't working out for their best interest. I find that type of attitude to match what your goals are. After all, privatization is a great way to make progress. Thus, if an individual wants to train on their own while still competing in individual sports, they will have a right to.

I know that is a minor thing in education, but I have had personal experiences where this principle in individual sports (while also matching beliefs of libertarians) is something a student should have a right to doing that other schools don't allow for the most part. Obviously doing this for team sports would be pretty impossible. Very easy to implement for individual sports though.

Other than that, where do you guys plan on building schools and what is the time frame going to be for the school to be set up? If this is on the website, then please provide a link because I am not familiar with this project.

Young Paleocon
06-30-2009, 04:22 PM
I would be most concerned about what is taught in history and economics courses if they are taught. If either are taught what will be the curriculum?

TonySutton
06-30-2009, 04:37 PM
I am all for any private schooling. Public schools are a total failure.

Since there is at least a hint of non-denomination religion in the school, if my child attends for several years and realizes as a sophomore that he is gay, bi or transgendered, would this private school look at my child differently? Would he be allowed to continue his education in this school?

nayjevin
06-30-2009, 04:38 PM
I too would like to see focus on the individual -- as in curriculum for each student being designed individually for that student's strengths/weaknesses.

Alternative education programs in some public schools still work this way - a student chooses an area of the study, and the teacher facilitates learning environments which allow that student to seek wisdom in that area, instead of the teacher deciding what blanket curriculum will fit a crowd of students.

Just some thoughts!