PDA

View Full Version : So Ron and I had a conversation yesterday

Matt Collins
06-28-2009, 09:04 AM
So I'm in DC this weekend visiting a friend. And I was walking around the Capitol and I randomly walk into a building where Congressional offices are housed.

I look at the directory and map of the building and realize that I am only about 20ft away from Ron's office!

I stop in and ask if I am able to say "hi". I sit down and wait and after a few minutes Ron comes out of his office and sits down to chat with me.

We talked for a good 10 minutes or so. Things we discussed were Rand's race, Ron's '08 campaign, the state of the GOP, the CFL, the size and momentum of the liberty movement, and Constitutionalism vs libertarianism.

It was very surreal to me to be there just sitting around chatting with Ron for a good 10 minutes very casually. I've met him many times in the past and we spoke quite a bit, but I've never had an extended conversation with him such as this one. It was like watching a media interview with him except that it was interactive. And Ron really is a sincere humble nice guy, which I already knew of course based upon personal and impersonal experience, however spending 10 minutes one-on-one with him drove that point home.

An amazing experience that I'll never forget for sure!

Sadly I was so absent minded I forgot to snap a photo of us...grr....

Matt Collins
06-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Humorously while I was waiting some woman activist walked into the office and asked the staff "which way is Ron going to vote on cap & trade" :confused:

I almost busted out laughing at the top of my lungs :D:p:cool:;)

pacelli
06-28-2009, 09:13 AM
So since the CFL leadership breakfast summit wasn't the time to confront him about his continuing association with Alex Jones & the conspiracy movement, surely an extended face-to-face in his office WAS the appropriate time?

Yea or Nay?

ClayTrainor
06-28-2009, 09:18 AM
So I'm in DC this weekend visiting a friend. And I was walking around the Capitol and I randomly walk into a building where Congressional offices are housed.

I look at the directory and map of the building and realize that I am only about 20ft away from Ron's office!

I stop in and ask if I am able to say "hi". I sit down and wait and after a few minutes Ron comes out of his office and sits down to chat with me.

We talked for a good 10 minutes or so. Things we discussed were Rand's race, Ron's '08 campaign, the state of the GOP, the CFL, the size and momentum of the liberty movement, and Constitutionalism vs libertarianism.

It was very surreal to me to be there just sitting around chatting with Ron for a good 10 minutes very casually. I've met him many times in the past and we spoke quite a bit, but I've never had an extended conversation with him such as this one. It was like watching a media interview with him except that it was interactive. And Ron really is a sincere humble nice guy, which I already knew of course based upon personal and impersonal experience, however spending 10 minutes one-on-one with him drove that point home.

An amazing experience that I'll never forget for sure!

Sadly I was so absent minded I forgot to snap a photo of us...grr....

Thanks for sharing!

I'd love to have a private conversation with Dr. Paul man, that'd be surreal. Label me jealous :o

Did you answer the girls question about Rons position on cap & trade? did she try to convince you to support it?

Matt Collins
06-28-2009, 09:26 AM
So since the CFL leadership breakfast summit wasn't the time to confront him about his continuing association with Alex Jones & the conspiracy movement, surely an extended face-to-face in his office WAS the appropriate time?There was no need to broach the subject at that time. I know where he stands and recognize his positions.

Matt Collins
06-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks for sharing!

I'd love to have a private conversation with Dr. Paul man, that'd be surreal. Label me jealous :oJust go to DC when he's in the office sometime and you'll quite possibly get to chat with him too. He's very good about that if he is available.

Did you answer the girls question about Rons position on cap & trade? did she try to convince you to support it?No, she was opposed to it and wanted to make sure Ron was voting against it.

One of the girls in the office basically responded "well I think he's going to vote no on it" :p

Epic
06-28-2009, 09:48 AM
So since the CFL leadership breakfast summit wasn't the time to confront him about his continuing association with Alex Jones & the conspiracy movement, surely an extended face-to-face in his office WAS the appropriate time?

Yea or Nay?

Nothing wrong with the conspiracy movement. They have a healthy skepticism of government. Thanks to JBS and Alex Jones, their numbers aren't too small either.

Matt Collins
06-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Nothing wrong with the conspiracy movement. They have a healthy skepticism of government. A healthy skepticism of government and basing one's worldview upon conjecture are two entirely different concepts.

Epic
06-28-2009, 10:01 AM
So what was Ron's take on all the things that you guys talked about? Specifically, Rand's race, libertarianism vs. constitutionalism. Is Ron gonna help Rand out in any way besides email blasts?

Matt Collins
06-28-2009, 10:17 AM
So what was Ron's take on all the things that you guys talked about? Specifically, Rand's race, libertarianism vs. constitutionalism. Is Ron gonna help Rand out in any way besides email blasts?
Well I consider our conversation private. I don't mind sharing what topics we discussed, but it would be unethical of me to get into what was said because it was just the two of us. I didn't ask if I could repeat the conversation or if I could quote him, so I don't think it is right for me to do so.

ladyjade3
06-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Matt, you got really lucky! Please, if you're reading this, don't think that Matt stopped in on a typical day. Dr Paul usually has back to back meetings, and votes, so if you want to stop by chances are extremely slim that what happened to Matt will happen to you. Call the office, speak with the schedule (who is not me) and see if you can get an appointment. If you don't have an appointment, don't get your heart set on seeing him. Oh and make sure we're in session too. Congress takes lots of recesses!

Reason
06-28-2009, 10:42 AM
cool

SimpleName
06-28-2009, 12:53 PM
I must say I have quite jealous. Can't imagine just sitting down and talking to him. I'd probably choke a bit and not know what the hell to say. "Surreal" is the perfect word for the situation. You're a lucky dude!

foofighter20x
06-28-2009, 02:29 PM
I almost busted out laughing at the top of my lungs :D:p:cool:;)

:o I hope she didn't take it personally...

Lovecraftian4Paul
06-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Awesome experience, thanks for sharing. I can well understand how surreal, but cool it must have seemed. Closest I've ever been to the man was at the Rally for the Republic last year. I was practically front row, standing in the pit, next the podium the entire time he spoke. It felt sort of dreamlike to be looking right up at RP while he spoke for over an hour. I was also one of the lucky ones to shake his hand before he went off stage. :D

satchelmcqueen
06-28-2009, 07:16 PM
ive been wanting to make a trip to see him myself before he decides to give it all up. need to do that.

tonesforjonesbones
06-28-2009, 07:21 PM
I guess he's not going to run for prez again...too bad. tones

Standing Like A Rock
06-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Just imagine if he becomes President in 2012. You would have had a conversation with a president.

literatim
06-28-2009, 07:46 PM
A healthy skepticism of government and basing one's worldview upon conjecture are two entirely different concepts.

I think having one's head in the sand is quite unhealthy too.

specsaregood
06-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Oh and make sure we're in session too. Congress takes lots of recesses!

^Yet more proof that congress is filled with schoolchildren just playing the part of statesmen and poorly at that.

tangent4ronpaul
06-28-2009, 08:22 PM
^Yet more proof that congress is filled with schoolchildren just playing the part of statesmen and poorly at that.

Thank your lucky stars that they take lots of recesses! - can you imagine what this country would be like if they didn't? :eek:

-t

Matt Collins
06-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Matt, you got really lucky! Please, if you're reading this, don't think that Matt stopped in on a typical day. Dr Paul usually has back to back meetings, and votes, so if you want to stop by chances are extremely slim that what happened to Matt will happen to you. Call the office, speak with the schedule (who is not me) and see if you can get an appointment. If you don't have an appointment, don't get your heart set on seeing him. Oh and make sure we're in session too. Congress takes lots of recesses!Wow... I had read on here a while back stories of other people just walking in and getting to chat with him. Obviously some days are better than others, but I had no idea that this was atypical!

james1906
06-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Matt, you got really lucky! Please, if you're reading this, don't think that Matt stopped in on a typical day. Dr Paul usually has back to back meetings, and votes, so if you want to stop by chances are extremely slim that what happened to Matt will happen to you. Call the office, speak with the schedule (who is not me) and see if you can get an appointment. If you don't have an appointment, don't get your heart set on seeing him. Oh and make sure we're in session too. Congress takes lots of recesses!

What if I come in with a plate of chocolate chip cookies?

tangent4ronpaul
06-28-2009, 10:08 PM
What if I come in with a plate of chocolate chip cookies?

They better be REALLY GOOD chocolate chip cookies! :D

Anyway, Matt - you seem to be tip toeing around what everyone wants to know...

What are our chances of having a candidate for 2012?

-t

steph3n
06-29-2009, 12:19 AM
Just go to DC when he's in the office sometime and you'll quite possibly get to chat with him too. He's very good about that if he is available.

No, she was opposed to it and wanted to make sure Ron was voting against it.

One of the girls in the office basically responded "well I think he's going to vote no on it" :p

I find it easy to catch him at the Houston airport, I have talked to him 3 times there :D Then again, I spend way too much time flying!

Vessol
06-29-2009, 12:28 AM
I find it easy to catch him at the Houston airport, I have talked to him 3 times there :D Then again, I spend way too much time flying!

I need to try to fandangle a Houston layaway next time I travel..

Matt Collins
06-29-2009, 06:26 AM
Anyway, Matt - you seem to be tip toeing around what everyone wants to know...

What are our chances of having a candidate for 2012?
To be honest, we didn't really talk about that.

Bill M DC
06-29-2009, 09:37 AM
So Matt, are you still in DC? I got so busy this weekend, it slipped my mind that you were here.

Matt Collins
06-29-2009, 10:02 AM
So Matt, are you still in DC? I got so busy this weekend, it slipped my mind that you were here.No I flew back to Nashville this morning to throw our 3rd major Tea Party at the capitol.

Peace&Freedom
06-29-2009, 10:07 AM
I think having one's head in the sand is quite unhealthy too.

QFT. Organized Greed always defeats Unorganized Democracy:

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2009/06/in-society-governed-passively-by-free.html