PDA

View Full Version : Private Schools To Teach The Constitution To The Kids

carla8478
06-27-2009, 02:09 PM
We've launched the Legacy Foundation! Check it out at www.lfpl.info. One of our main projects is to start a chain of affordable private schools that will educate the youth on the principles of the Constitution and proper government. We could use your support to get this going, spread the word.

We also have educational programs for adults, and we've got much more planned.

www.lfpl.info

torchbearer
06-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Awesome!

tpreitzel
06-27-2009, 02:17 PM
At first blush, it looks good to me. Is this educational effort solely distributed through the internet? The site is bookmarked for now.
This effort primarily reminds me of Institute on the Constitution at www.iotconline.com If this effort is more a funding mechanism to start a chain of private schools, I'm even more supportive of the effort.

carla8478
06-27-2009, 02:42 PM
At first blush, it looks good to me. Is this educational effort solely distributed through the internet? The site is bookmarked for now.
This effort primarily reminds me of Institute on the Constitution at www.iotconline.com If this effort is more a funding mechanism to start a chain of private schools, I'm even more supportive of the effort.

No, this effort is not designed to be distributed just through the internet. We are planning on opening physical locations of schools. These schools will teach the principles of the Constitution as well as academics.

As far as the other site you mentioned, I checked it out. I did not have a chance to go through it in detail, but I believe I had been to that site before. It's a nice site. I think their efforts are more concentrated on adult education though. We will have programs for that as well of course, but we are trying to launch a program for school age children. As far as we know, there has yet to be something like this.

Also, if you are familiar with Glenn Beck's recommendations to read the book The 5,000 Year Leap, then you may have heard of Dr. W. Cleon Skousen. We have direct authorization from that family to use Dr. Skousen's materials in our schools.

So we would appreciate others spreading the word so we can build support for this project. Let me know if anybody else has other questions.

tpreitzel
06-27-2009, 02:44 PM
No, this effort is not designed to be distributed just through the internet. We are planning on opening physical locations of schools. These schools will teach the principles of the Constitution as well as academics.

As far as the other site you mentioned, I checked it out. I did not have a chance to go through it in detail, but I believe I had been to that site before. It's a nice site. I think their efforts are more concentrated on adult education though. We will have programs for that as well of course, but we are trying to launch a program for school age children. As far as we know, there has yet to be something like this.

Also, if you are familiar with Glenn Beck's recommendations to read the book The 5,000 Year Leap, then you may have heard of Dr. W. Cleon Skousen. We have direct authorization from that family to use Dr. Skousen's materials in our schools.

So we would appreciate others spreading the word so we can build support for this project. Let me know if anybody else has other questions.

Yes, I noticed Cleon's work ... excellent... superb ... from a constitutional point of view. You'll probably have to work to alleviate some justifiable concerns about potentially supporting Mormon theology, though. Over the years, I've immensely enjoyed listening to the Skousen clan... Joel's WAB should be standard reading for analyzing today's events around the world...

heavenlyboy34
06-27-2009, 02:46 PM
w00t for real edumacation! :)

carla8478
06-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Here are some ideas as to how you guys can help:

1)Ask your favorite websites or blogs to link to us. Tell them to link to www.lfpl.info

2)Send an email out to your friends asking them to check us out.

3)Sign up for our contribution program. We need funds to make this happen, but we're not asking for a lot from each individual person, just $5, $10, or $15 a month.

carla8478
06-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Yes, I noticed Cleon's work ... excellent... superb ... from a constitutional point of view. You'll probably have to work to alleviate some justifiable concerns about potentially supporting Mormon theology, though. Over the years, I've immensely enjoyed listening to the Skousen clan... Joel's WAB should be standard reading for analyzing today's events around the world...

Good point. Problem should be solved though, we will be using Skousen's historical/constitutional materials, not any religious writings. Our school is principle based and bible-based, not religion based. The only thing we will be teaching in the schools is the five basic spiritual principles referred to by Benjamin Franklin in a letter he wrote to Ezra Stiles, president of Yale University. These are the principles the Founding Fathers wanted taught in schools.

They are:

1)There exists a Creator who made all things, and mankind should recognize and worship Him.

2)The Creator has revealed a moral code of behavior for happy living which distinguishes right from wrong.

3)The Creator holds mankind responsible for the way they treat each other.

4)All mankind live beyond this life.

5)In the next life mankind are judged for their conduct in this one.

These are the basic core beliefs that almost all denominations/religions have in common. We seek to unite people, not focus on differences. Primary religious education is the responsibility of first parents and second churches anyway.

Like the founders we are striving towards a common ground on which we can agree in principle to unite together. Our schools are designed to strengthen and reinforce the family. We support the parents in their right to educate their children in the matter of religion.

tpreitzel
06-27-2009, 04:08 PM
From all indications so far, I heartily support this effort and I encourage others to investigate, decide, and do as asked if in agreement with the OP... More later... I'm involved at this point ... :)

nayjevin
06-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Good point. Problem should be solved though, we will be using Skousen's historical/constitutional materials, not any religious writings. Our school is principle based and bible-based, not religion based. The only thing we will be teaching in the schools is the five basic spiritual principles referred to by Benjamin Franklin in a letter he wrote to Ezra Stiles, president of Yale University. These are the principles the Founding Fathers wanted taught in schools.

They are:

1)There exists a Creator who made all things, and mankind should recognize and worship Him.

2)The Creator has revealed a moral code of behavior for happy living which distinguishes right from wrong.

3)The Creator holds mankind responsible for the way they treat each other.

4)All mankind live beyond this life.

5)In the next life mankind are judged for their conduct in this one.

These are the basic core beliefs that almost all denominations/religions have in common. We seek to unite people, not focus on differences. Primary religious education is the responsibility of first parents and second churches anyway.

Like the founders we are striving towards a common ground on which we can agree in principle to unite together. Our schools are designed to strengthen and reinforce the family. We support the parents in their right to educate their children in the matter of religion.

The first time I looked at the site, I thought it looked promising, but I had a bit of a cringe at the religious references -- but this explanation puts me at ease. (assuming 'the only thing we will be teaching...' really does mean this is as far into religion as the school goes)

I consider myself a spiritually humble agnostic, but I respect your approach as described here. For me, having this explanation on the site would do wonders. Of course, I might not be quite your target market :)

carla8478
06-27-2009, 04:53 PM
For me, having this explanation on the site would do wonders.

Thanks for the feedback and advice, not a bad idea. :)

carla8478
06-27-2009, 10:03 PM
bump

carla8478
06-28-2009, 10:04 AM
bump