PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul comes in 3rd in Mackinac Straw Poll, Beats out Guilliani who was present.

torchbearer
09-23-2007, 07:10 PM
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=22530

Mackinac Island, Michigan -- To the surprise of just about no one, Mitt Romney--Michigan-born, son of a former governor, well-financed and well-organized in the Water Wonderland--won the straw vote at the Republican Conference here. With 979 out of more than 2000 Mackinac participants voting, Romney topped the presidential field with 39% of the vote to 27% for Arizona Sen. John McCain. Rep. Ron Paul (R.-Tex.), who has a vigorous cadre of volunteers at events such as this, came in third with 10.8%, edging out Rudy Giuliani (10.62%), who is the GOP front runner for president in most nationwide surveys. Fred Thompson, who drew what BBC Radio's Anthony Birchley dubbed "the largest scrum" of reporters when he arrived at the conference yesterday, drew 7% of the vote.

As he has done throughout the largest-ever conclave in the history of the half-century old Mackinac Conference, Michigan State GOP Chairman Saul Anuzis emphasized to reporters that, in contrast to the Ames, Iowa "straw vote," only Michigan Republicans who could prove their residence with identification were permitted to vote in the poll (which was run by the "Hotline" publication).

So, in terms of presidential politics, what does the Romney win mean? Probably not much.
Continued
Sponsored Links:

* BRIC Investor Report: Brazil, Russia, India & China stocks
* In-depth political analysis from Bob Novak
* China Stock Update: Free Special Report on global emerging markets
* GOP Voting Guide to the 2008 race for the White House
* Special Offer: Get 3 Books for $1 Each!

The former Massachusetts governor demonstrated that he could win in a state where he is well-known among party activists and deployed money and organization. Romney himself was accessible, posing for pictures at an ice cream social his campaign hosted, taking a half-hour to answer reporters' questions on the porch of the Grand Hotel (in contrast to Thompson, who took five questions at his press availability), and Giuliani, who ducked reporters when he left after his dinner address Friday night) and working Mackinac as if it were a national question.

Michigan Romney operatives such as Katie Packer were on hand, as was Tom Rath, former attorney general of New Hampshire and Romney's top agent in the nation's first-in-the-nation primary.

McCain's strong second place showing was perhaps the biggest surprise at Mackinac. Polls conducted by the Market Research Group and veteran Michigan pollster Steve Mitchell showed the Arizonan (who defeated George W. Bush in the 2000 Michigan primary in a dramatic upset) running fourth among the "Big Four" of Republican hopefuls among likely voters in the primary next January 15th. But among the activists, at least, he still packed a wallop. Republican National Committeeman Chuck Yob, McCain's top operative in Michigan, predicted to me this morning that "John will do very, very well" in the poll because of his well-received dinner address last night. Chairman Anuzis, copiously neutral in the presidential race, told reporters that McCan gave "the best speech I have ever heard him give" last night. Whether that speech and his showing in the straw poll can give McCain as much a boost as, say, Mike Huckabee's second-place showing did in the Ames straw vote remains to be seen.

That Giuliani would come in behind "B-team" contender Paul speaks volumes about the former New York mayor's campaign in general: with MRG's just-completed poll showing him now leading the pack in Michigan among likely primary voters, with his dinner address here widely praised, Giuliani just does not, at this time, have the "infantry" to turn out grass-roots voters and win contests such as the Mackinac straw vote. As McCain's man Yob told me, "Rudy's got Candace [Macomb-area Rep. Candace Miller, who is Giuliani's chairman and introduced him at Mackinac] and that's about it."

Fred Thompson's fifth place showing has been blamed on his poorly-received addrress last night and lateness in entering the race. But whether his showing among the activists who came to Mackinac this weekend has any impact on the primary voters who turn out at the polls next January 15th is, as it is for all the candidates who participated in the straw vote, "a reach."

John Gizzi is Political Editor of HUMAN EVENTS.

AddThis Social Bookmark ButtonAddThis Feed Button
Reader Comments: (
)
Here are all of comments submitted by Human Events readers:

Report Abusive PostThis passes for deep insights these days? Annuzi is an ex-McCain guy who has jumped between the Romney and McCain camps, and infamously tried to get the third place finisher, Ron Paul, kicked out of the debates. Talk about an anti-conservative party hack!

Michigan's GOP appears unwilling to vote for fake conservatives like Guiliani and Thompson, the folks the fake conservatives in DC like, but they also don't mind just plain liberal Republicans (I guess) like Romney and McCain.

Conservatives, on the otherhand, have Paul who posted anoter respectible finish.
C Bowen
Sep 23, 2007 @ 09:04 PM
Share Your Comment

M.Bellmore
09-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Just in case you don't think we have a problem with Romney in MI, he has been at it for quite some time:

Feb. 15, 2007 Boston, MA – Today, Governor Mitt Romney announced that eight members of the Michigan Senate and 34 members of the Michigan House of Representatives have endorsed his candidacy for President of the United States. Over half of the Republicans in the Michigan State Legislature are now supporting Governor Romney.

"The Republicans in the House and Senate are on the front line in the battle to promote conservative ideas in Michigan government," said Governor Romney. "I am proud to have so many of these distinguished leaders as part of my team, and I am humbled by their support."

The Michigan "Romney" Caucus comprises members of the Michigan Senate and House who are supporting Governor Romney for President. They will provide advice and counsel on critical issues facing Michigan and the nation.

There are 21 Republican senators and 52 Republican representatives in Michigan.

Members Of The Michigan Senate Endorsing Governor Romney For President:

Senator Cameron Brown

Senator Nancy Cassis

Senator Valde Garcia

Senator Jud Gilbert

Senator Roger Kahn

Senator Bruce Patterson

Senator Alan Sanborn

Senator Tony Stamas

Members Of The Michigan House Endorsing Governor Romney For President:

Rep. Craig DeRoche (Co-Chair)

Rep. Dan Acciavatti

Rep. Fran Amos

Rep. Dick Ball

Rep. Darwin Booher

Rep. Jack Brandenburg

Rep. Tom Casperson

Rep. Bruce Caswell

Rep. Bill Caul

Rep. John Garfield

Rep. Geoff Hansen

Rep. Dave Hildenbrand

Rep. Jack Hoogendyk

Rep. Ken Horn

Rep. Joe Hune

Rep. Rick Jones

Rep. Martin Knollenberg

Rep. Phil LaJoy

Rep. Jim Marleau

Rep. Kim Meltzer

Rep. Tim Moore

Rep. Chuck Moss

Rep. Neal Nitz

Rep. Paul Opsommer

Rep. Brian Palmer

Rep. Dave Palsrok

Rep. John Pastor

Rep. Phil Pavlov

Rep. Tom Pearce

Rep. Tonya Schuitmaker

Rep. Rick Shaffer

Rep. Fulton Sheen

Rep. John Stakoe

Rep. Howard Walker

speciallyblend
09-23-2007, 07:54 PM
Well i guess we can send them a letter ,letting them know if they dont support RON PAUL,we will not vote republican and then they will have endorsed hillary clinton,in the name of mitt

V-rod
09-23-2007, 08:05 PM
That is an extraordinary statement, coming from someone who LIVED Thru the Sept 11 attacks. I would like the poster to withdraw their statement and say they did not really mean that.

torchbearer
09-23-2007, 08:10 PM
That is an extraordinary statement, coming from someone who LIVED Thru the Sept 11 attacks. I would like the poster to withdraw their statement and say they did not really mean that.

Our CIA teaches and talks about blowback... and when you sucks balls and trample and people's rights.. well, you get a "fairy ride" from hell. It's called karma, b!tch.

FSP-Rebel
09-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Rep John Garfield can't possibly support Romney, his brother is our state coordinator.:eek:
Anyway, alot of us that were up in The Mack asked other candidates' supporters whether they payed their own way or were comped by their respective campaigns. Turns out the two candidates that beat us, Romney & McCorpse, were both paying for supporters tickets ($100/each) and Romney was even re-imbursing alot of the 17-19 yr old kids gas and lodgings--oh, and don't forget about the cost of the ferry ride @~$15 per person unless someone upgraded further to the round-trip unlimited. I heard from a couple of my fellow supporters that someone was paying people $50 a piece just to vote for McCain. Anyways, I'll post my photos here sometime 2-morrow evening plus anything else that comes to mind. In case you're wondering, I had the time of my life--2 back-to-back days of rallying with Dr. Paul. Our Parade to the Grand Hotel turned thousands of heads along the way.

PS: Our NBC guy (Paul supporter) apparently caught (on camera) Guliani being given 2 wads of hundred dollar bills while he was standing right next to him (I was looking over at this time, but I didn't have a bird's eye view). This took place right before Guliani entered the waiting area/line to get on the last (9pm) ferry back to the city. This happened seconds before the majority of Paul supporters (~170) noticed him (it was dark by then and he was surrounded by his mob-squad) and started to chant Ron Paul so loud to the point that they rushed Guli (who was in shock) off to the cab of the boat. We all agreed that Divine Providence allowed this coincidence to happen. This was, without question, the most significant event of the weekend. Anyway, I'm not sure what our guy has plans for with his footage of the former mentioned topic. I'm sure I'll find out sometime soon.

torchbearer
09-23-2007, 10:27 PM
bump for nighttime viewers

M.Bellmore
09-23-2007, 10:36 PM
Rep John Garfield can't possibly support Romney, his brother is our state coordinator.:eek:
Anyway, alot of us that were up in The Mack asked other candidates' supporters whether they payed their own way or were comped by their respective campaigns. Turns out the two candidates that beat us, Romney & McCorpse, were both paying for supporters tickets ($100/each) and Romney was even re-imbursing alot of the 17-19 yr old kids gas and lodgings--oh, and don't forget about the cost of the ferry ride @~$15 per person unless someone upgraded further to the round-trip unlimited. I heard from a couple of my fellow supporters that someone was paying people $50 a piece just to vote for McCain. Anyways, I'll post my photos here sometime 2-morrow evening plus anything else that comes to mind. In case you're wondering, I had the time of my life--2 back-to-back days of rallying with Dr. Paul. Our Parade to the Grand Hotel turned thousands of heads along the way.

PS: Our NBC guy (Paul supporter) apparently caught (on camera) Guliani being given 2 wads of hundred dollar bills while he was standing right next to him (I was looking over at this time, but I didn't have a bird's eye view). This took place right before Guliani entered the waiting area/line to get on the last (9pm) ferry back to the city. This happened seconds before the majority of Paul supporters (~170) noticed him (it was dark by then and he was surrounded by his mob-squad) and started to chant Ron Paul so loud to the point that they rushed Guli (who was in shock) off to the cab of the boat. We all agreed that Divine Providence allowed this coincidence to happen. This was, without question, the most significant event of the weekend. Anyway, I'm not sure what our guy has plans for with his footage of the former mentioned topic. I'm sure I'll find out sometime soon.

I'm jealous beyond belief .. stupid job :D

M.Bellmore
09-23-2007, 10:40 PM

Hows can we get that fact out to the MSM (the two "lead" candidates paid for their votes)?

austin356
09-23-2007, 10:41 PM
~1000 votes?

Only 10% which = 100 Ron Paul voters?

If my interpretation of that is correct then I am kinda disappointed. We should be able to get much higher.

Stealth4
09-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Just in case you don't think we have a problem with Romney in MI, he has been at it for quite some time:

I heard rumor that Romney, through PACs gave all MI people lots of money, bought their support and the early primary.

M.Bellmore
09-23-2007, 11:15 PM
I heard rumor that Romney, through PACs gave all MI people lots of money, bought their support and the early primary.

Grrr. Time for some negative campaigning unfortunately. The truth shall set the Michiganders free!

Marc Scott Emery
09-24-2007, 06:06 AM
Those 106 Ron Paul supporters are likely to be more intense and therefore much more effective at recruiting in the months ahead towards the primary. 106 Ron Paul supporters within the party activists is impressive, we shall see them recruit considerably more. I'm sure among the 106 were 10 or 12 very committed people who spoke on Dr. Paul's behalf and over the recent weeks generated a base. The energy and ideas in this campaign are contagious. This would have been true in Texas with the 16% there too, those were hardcore Republican activists/officials. 16% is considerable. In any case, Ron Paul polls in Iowa, Michigan around 10%, 16% in Texas, among Republican activists.

These people will convert the base within the Republican Party. Ron Paul is getting more support from religious people and this will accelerate. Ron Paul's integrity has an enduring quality that is now beginning to pay off as voters and Republican Party officials think this old man may be on to something....wonderful...he beams sincerity and candor...and has nothing to hide.

Another great straw poll. Crowds of over 1,000 in Utah, California, Chicago, straw poll numbers of 10%+ at Republican activist conferences, these are things to build on.

This campaign is going places.

angelatc
09-24-2007, 06:35 AM
This is why Anita Andrews says we need to work the Republican base.

M.Bellmore
09-24-2007, 07:47 AM
This is why Anita Andrews says we need to work the Republican base.
Shhh .. that's a secret :D

jmarinara
09-24-2007, 07:53 AM

Who said anything about 9-11?? What are you talking about?

torchbearer
09-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Who said anything about 9-11?? What are you talking about?

That post about 9-11 was a joke, it is what Rudy told Ron in the first debate after Ron made the blowback point on why 9-11 happened....

ItsTime
09-24-2007, 08:43 AM
That post about 9-11 was a joke, it is what Rudy told Ron in the first debate after Ron made the blowback point on why 9-11 happened....

I think Rudy misunderstood what blowback was... He thought it had something to do with subway bathrooms.

torchbearer
09-24-2007, 08:46 AM
I think Rudy misunderstood what blowback was... He thought it had something to do with subway bathrooms.

and Rudy responds ' I resemble that comment..'

pcosmar
09-24-2007, 11:34 AM
Don't forget the difference between RP supporters and the paid "supporters".
For each one of us that is active, there are many voters. They will vote in the primary and the election.
The paid "supporters" were just there for the day.
We have the real numbers on or side.

ronpaulitician
09-24-2007, 11:50 AM
~1000 votes?

Only 10% which = 100 Ron Paul voters?

If my interpretation of that is correct then I am kinda disappointed. We should be able to get much higher.

With 979 out of more than 2000 Mackinac participants voting, Romney topped the presidential field with 39% of the vote to 27% for Arizona Sen. John McCain. Rep. Ron Paul (R.-Tex.), who has a vigorous cadre of volunteers at events such as this, came in third with 10.8%, edging out Rudy Giuliani (10.62%)
If 979 votes amounts to 39% of the total vote, that means there were 2510 voters.

10.8% of 2510 is 271 votes.

M.Bellmore
09-24-2007, 03:20 PM
If 979 votes amounts to 39% of the total vote, that means there were 2510 voters.

10.8% of 2510 is 271 votes.

Wow, that cost Romney at least $97,000 ($100 per to vote, but that does not include lodging and transportation)

brumans
09-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Wow, that cost Romney at least $97,000 ($100 per to vote, but that does not include lodging and transportation)

How do you know Romney paid people?

M.Bellmore
09-24-2007, 03:57 PM
How do you know Romney paid people?

There is a mention here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=19669

Back earlier in this thread:

Rep John Garfield can't possibly support Romney, his brother is our state coordinator.

M.Bellmore
09-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Should add this tidbit as well:

Both campaigns bussed in a healthy dose of college students and came up with a 1-2 finish in the poll. Romney won a 39-percent plurality from the nearly 1,000 votes, and McCain garnered close to 27 percent. Ron Paul and Giuliani came in third and fourth, respectively, with about 11 percent each; Thompson managed just seven percent for a fifth-place finish. Anuzis explained that the composition probably reflects where the activists in the state fall with respect to the candidates, but not necessarily where the voters are.

From here: http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/09/24/376893.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage

I encourage you guys to make comments on the above article (and there is another one on the same site)

SWATH
09-24-2007, 07:59 PM
I think the Romney supporters there were paid. One reason is because they were ALL IN HIGH SCHOOL i.e. between 13 and 16 years old. I also heard some of them talking, two of them were just walking up and down the main street in their Romney shirts. I was walking behind them and heard one say to the other "how long do we have to keep doing this?" the other looked at his watch and replied "With still have 25 minutes to go"