PDA

View Full Version : Detroit City Council President - Monica Conyers pleads guilty to conspiracy

FrankRep
06-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Monica Conyers pleads guilty to conspiracy
She faces up to 5 years in prison

Free Press
June 26, 2009

Detroit City Council President Pro Tem Monica Conyers pleaded guilty this morning to conspiring to commit bribery and is free on personal bond.

U.S. District Judge Avern Cohn said, "The defendant now stands convicted."

The one count of conspiring to commit bribery is punishable for up to five years in prison.

No sentencing date has been set and it is not immediately clear if the plea deal requires Conyers to cooperate with the feds in the ongoing probe of city corruption.

Conyers, the wife of powerful Democratic congressman U.S. Rep. John Conyers, appeared before Cohn to answer charges in connection with the wide-ranging probe of wrongdoing at Detroit city hall.

She has long been under suspicion in the Synagro bribery probe, not least because she had been a vocal opponent of the contract before suddenly switching her sentiments. She became the deciding voice in the city council’s 5-4 vote to approve the sludge-hauling deal in November 2007.

Conyers’ plea does not mean she will immediately leave office automatically, said Detroit attorney Bill Goodman.

Goodman, who represented the City Council in its fight to oust ex-mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, said the city charter requires a council member to step down “the minute he or she is convicted of a felony. In federal court, that process is complete at the sentencing.”

No resignation letter has been submitted by Conyers to Detroit City Council as of this morning, according to the council clerk’s office, Council President Ken Cockrel Jr.’s office, and council’s legal office.

The federal plea document released today cites two instances in late 2007, in the days surrounding the approval of the now-infamous Synagro Technologies sludge-hauling contract, when Conyers accepted cash bribes from a Synagro consultant.

The document does not cite the specific amount of the bribes, but previous court documents have said that Conyers, identified previously by the feds as Council Member A, took at least two bribes of $3,000 each, among other bribes.

Full Story:
http://www.freep.com/article/20090626/NEWS01/90626024/1003/NEWS/Conyers%20convicted%20of%20conspiracy

disorderlyvision
06-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Is this the same one that paid $68 in property taxes?

IPSecure
06-26-2009, 09:27 AM
Conyers abandons plan to probe ACORN - "Powers that be decided against it"

House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers Jr. has backed off his plan to investigate wrongdoing by the liberal activist group ACORN, saying "powers that be" put the kibosh on the idea.

Mr. Conyers, Michigan Democrat, earlier bucked his party leaders by calling for hearings on accusations the Association of Community Organization for Reform Now (ACORN) has committed crimes ranging from voter fraud to a mob-style "protection" racket.

"The powers that be decided against it," Mr. Conyers told The Washington Times.

The chairman declined to elaborate, shrugging off questions about who told him how to run his committee and give the Democrat-allied group a pass.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jun/25/conyers-abandons-plan-probe-acorn/?feat=home_headlines

Who are the 'Powers That Be'?

mczerone
06-26-2009, 10:07 AM
This shows how easy it would be to establish an alternative private essential services company to serve Detroit: the taxpayers are being raped and pillaged to fund nepotism, cronyism, corruption, liabilities, and hatred.

Government has failed Detroit since it first intervened, and now its barely surviving on federal life support. It's time to let the patient pass, and see what happens in its place.

IT CAN'T GET WORSE!

roho76
06-26-2009, 10:16 AM
I'll pay of the National Debt if she goes quietly. Something tells me she will put up a fight and she will use every curse word in the book while loudly proclaiming it's a conspiracy against her. I bet she is dragged out of the City Council. I can't wait to see how this plays out.

Son of Detroit
06-26-2009, 10:29 AM
John Conyers is 80 years old.
Monica Conyers is 43 years old.

Anyone see something wrong here?

Eleutheros
06-29-2009, 11:50 AM
John Conyers is 80 years old.
Monica Conyers is 43 years old.

Anyone see something wrong here?

Not I, there's nothing out of the ordinary here.

Just a typical story of a hoodrat that happened to make a come-up by marrying someone with some status. I guess ol' Monica figured if Anna Nicole Smith could do it, so could she.