PDA

View Full Version : Teachers Paid to do Nothing

FrankRep
06-26-2009, 08:37 AM
Teachers Paid to do Nothing (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/culture/education/1299)

Selwyn Duke | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/)
26 June 2009

In this age of budget woes and bailouts, it may surprise some to hear that governments are paying workers to do nothing. Yet that is exactly what is happening in New York City, where hundreds of school teachers accused of misconduct — sometimes the sexual variety — are receiving just such a salary to wile away time in "temporary reassingment centers," with taxpayers footing the bill to the tune of $65 million a year. Karen Matthews of the Associated Press reports (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090622/ap_on_re_us/us_rubber_rooms):

Because their union contract makes it extremely difficult to fire them, the teachers have been banished by the school system to its "rubber rooms" — off-campus office space where they wait months, even years, for their disciplinary hearings.

The 700 or so teachers can practice yoga, work on their novels, paint portraits of their colleagues — pretty much anything but school work. They have summer vacation just like their classroom colleagues and enjoy weekends and holidays through the school year.

And NYC isn't the only municipality that pays teachers to do nothing, as others, such as Los Angeles and Philadelphia, have their rubber rooms as well. Shucks, if I had known "nothing" was in such demand, I would have investigated it as a major.

In all fairness, not all the do-nothing teachers are sexual predators, psychological loose cannons and incompetents. Some have been, ironically, "put away" in the rubber room after blowing the whistle on a corrupt superior or refusing to kowtow to the latest politically-correct education paradigm. Matthews tells us of one such case, writing, "'The principal wants you out, you're gone,' said Michael Thomas, a high school math teacher who has been in a reassignment center for 14 months after accusing an assistant principal of tinkering with test results."

I can add a personal anecdote to this, as I know of a NYC schoolteacher who ran afoul of superiors because he wouldn't embrace the ineffective politically correct teaching methods in favor with his school. And while he wasn't offered the do-nothing option — this was in the 1990s when such a thing was less common — his superiors took pains to get rid of him despite the fact that his more traditional teaching methods yielded results unrivaled in his South Bronx school.

But whether the charges are justifiable or not, this story reflects a thoroughly ossified educational system. Good teachers who aren't amenable to Orwellian indoctrination, libertine sex education, and permissiveness are either cowed into submission or discarded; bad teachers are difficult to fire; and the children learn little while the taxpayers lose a lot. Despite this, we are still told that we don't spend enough on education.

Oh, I will share one more, quasi-personal, anecdote. The year I graduated from the Bronx High School of Science, 1984, an anonymous phone call and letter to the NYC Board of Education revealed (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,979474,00.html) that one of Bronx Science's physics teachers, Peter Melzer, was a leader of the North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA), the notorious organization of pedophiles. He also was an editor of its newsletter, the Bulletin, which published pieces on topics such as how to seduce young boys.

We didn't know about Melzer's extra-curricular activities at the time, as the information was kept confidential and the case dropped for "lack of evidence." It was re-opened in 1992, and the story hit the media the next year. Not surprisingly, however, there was a protracted hearing process and a lawsuit, and it wasn't until the year 2000 that Melzer could finally be dismissed. And what of the seven-year interim period? He was performing desk duty — although there is no word on whether it was a do-nothing job. There is also no word on how much of his taxpayer-provided salary found its way into NAMBLA's coffers.

SOURCE:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/culture/education/1299

Aurelia
06-26-2009, 09:41 AM
People spend more time protecting their egos than anything else, so it seems, the oh so tender nerve center ready to burst at any contradiction. But wow. I would be interested in seeing the transcript from his trial. "But the Greeks invented geometry, and stuff, and they loved boys. The Republic, I mean, New York State, needs more love. We happy here, nobody hurt..consensual...Please, I need the monies!"

"Ok, Mr. Melzer, we know you will not make the same mistake twice and this is just a first offense. You've sowed the land for 7 years, just like Jacob, so you lose your job but you're free to go. Bye bye."

Cowlesy
06-26-2009, 09:43 AM
I'll remember this when my taxes are auto-deducted from my earnings on July 1.

andrewh817
08-23-2009, 02:08 AM
A lot of teachers are already being paid to do nothing...... and even more are being paid to do the exact same things as the teachers from the year before.

jsu718
08-23-2009, 10:10 AM
The only possible thing you can blame from this is the Unions overstepping and making it impossible to be fired.
Also, teachers are paid from local property taxes, not income tax.

JK/SEA
08-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Anyone in this thread have a teaching degree?

just curious. I don't.

satchelmcqueen
08-23-2009, 09:13 PM

just curious. I don't.

i wish! starting salaries in Ga. for a teacher is around $35k depending on the school. thats more than i make busting my ass surveying. another teacher i know makes over $70k as a gym teacher here. thats over twice my best year in 2007 at $15hr.

christagious
08-23-2009, 10:33 PM

just curious. I don't.

I will here in 9 months

jsu718
08-24-2009, 12:28 AM

just curious. I don't.

I have 5 years experience, am certified, and am 3 classes from my masters in education... why?

angelatc
08-24-2009, 12:52 AM
i wish! starting salaries in Ga. for a teacher is around $35k depending on the school. thats more than i make busting my ass surveying. another teacher i know makes over $70k as a gym teacher here. thats over twice my best year in 2007 at $15hr.

But they have to work almost 9 whole months, and only get major time off during for the most important holidays.

Oh, wait...

jsu718
08-24-2009, 01:40 AM
But they have to work almost 9 whole months, and only get major time off during for the most important holidays.

Oh, wait...

But during those 9 months (181 days total here) the typical stats don't include the constant long hours of preparation, the state and national required continued learning that often include summer hours, the additional stress of having 3 (or more) bosses, and of course dealing with kids/teenagers all day with greater restrictions on treatment than any daycare in the country.

My typical day is of me waking up at 6AM to leave at 7AM and not even getting home from work til 7PM with maybe an hour of downtime total during the entire day. The pay by itself really isn't enough to make it worth it when you actually calculate it out. I worked it out last year and it is only about $20 an hour for me when everything is included.

A. Havnes
08-24-2009, 08:29 AM

just curious. I don't.

I'm working on one. However, I will probably be the odd one out. I would rather leave a job than replace someone else just because of a stupid Union. I hate unions....

In fact, as a teacher, I'd be really...different from most. Introverted, antipsychiatry, hates unions, loves government-free education and homeschooling, etc.

satchelmcqueen
08-24-2009, 07:12 PM

Oh, wait...

yeah but, i work 10-12hr days (some more). 2 weeks off a year, have to deal with all kinds of weather and terrain that would make satan cry, get cussed out, have 3 or more bosses and ...oh wait. :D

christagious
10-29-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm working on one. However, I will probably be the odd one out. I would rather leave a job than replace someone else just because of a stupid Union. I hate unions....

In fact, as a teacher, I'd be really...different from most. Introverted, antipsychiatry, hates unions, loves government-free education and homeschooling, etc.

Same here. I graduate in May, will be student teaching next semester. I think I'll be the black sheep too because I can't stand unions either. I actually liked the Education chapter in Glenn Beck's new book because he talks about how it's impossible to fire bad teachers due to the unions, so when I'm out observing and getting field experience I see that; there are a lot of God awful teachers out there. If I can help it, I'd like to get a job teaching at at a private school just to avoid everything I can't stand. Plus I'll feel like somewhat of a hypocrite, being a libertarian basically working for the government.

Andrew-Austin
10-29-2009, 03:55 PM
I remember in one of my classes, a teacher just let us screw around all period surfing the web and playing flash games. Not all the time of course, but a lot.

Easiest class ever.

Danke
10-29-2009, 04:00 PM
I'd rather pay them to do nothing than the indoctrination they are currently doing.