PDA

View Full Version : geneva convention

JosephTheLibertarian
09-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Why do countries sign it in the first place? What's the incentiveEspecially..Iraq, why?

noxagol
09-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Well, it is to create some more "fair" fighting and make people feel good. For instance, flame throwers and napalm and white phosphorus cannot be used against people, and you can't shoot someone with a .50BMG round. However, you can use that flamethrower, napalm, and white phosphorus to burn down some foliage the enemy seems to be hiding in and you can shoot that magazine strapped to that guys chest over there with that .50BMG round which would cause the guys torso to explode.

It is mainly to make people feel good, but like any law they are filled with loopholes and shit and end up meaning nothing. The only parts that get any real love are the ones about torture and fair treatment of prisoners, and even that is lacking.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-23-2007, 05:58 PM
but what's the incentive to sign in the first place?

bbachtung
09-23-2007, 06:20 PM
The incentive to sign is that your troops will be told that they won't be subject to unacceptable fighting practices (as if there is any such thing) and will be treated "fairly" if captured by the enemy.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-23-2007, 06:26 PM
so.. there's a clause for countries that do not sign?

noxagol
09-23-2007, 10:28 PM
so.. there's a clause for countries that do not sign?

Not that I know of. But it is based on the principle of do unto others as you would have done unto you. Don't torture the enemy and if the enemy knows it they will probably not torture you.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Not that I know of. But it is based on the principle of do unto others as you would have done unto you. Don't torture the enemy and if the enemy knows it they will probably not torture you.

Yes, but you could have a tactical advantage in not signing. You could say "they sign, so they're obligated. We did not, we have our own rules"

noxagol
09-23-2007, 10:36 PM
Yes, but you could have a tactical advantage in not signing. You could say "they sign, so they're obligated. We did not, we have our own rules"

No, it is an agreement between waring parties. If one side isn't going to play by the nice rules then the other most likely won't either. It will also look poorly on the side that doesn't follow the nice rules in the world so they will get less trade from neutral nations.

constituent
09-24-2007, 03:13 AM
correct me if i'm wrong... but we didn't sign.

noxagol
09-24-2007, 07:19 AM
correct me if i'm wrong... but we didn't sign.

We did. So did many other nations.

constituent
09-24-2007, 07:28 AM
We did. So did many other nations.

who? when? source?

noxagol
09-24-2007, 07:34 AM
http://www.icrc.org/Web/Eng/siteeng0.nsf/htmlall/genevaconventions

Here is a website about it.