PDA

View Full Version : The Possibility of a Gingrich Candidacy

Zydeco
09-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Newt was on Mackina(c/w) Island for the Michigan poll, and I think the CFR is pushing him to run. I believe that they're correctly sensing that none of the four Fred McRomliani "frontrunners" is going to be able to win the nomination.

So what do people think of Newt's chances? Newt is smarter than any of the other four and has a better grasp of the massive reform that has to take place in Washington very soon.

The big negative seems to be: you were at the helm of many of these proposed reforms from 1995-99, what the hell happened? Why has government spending soared in the past seven years? Of course, he can always say that he's been out of office during this time.

I personally view Gingrich as more of a threat than Fred McRomliani. But still, I think RP could take him!

bygone
09-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Too little too late.

cujothekitten
09-23-2007, 04:30 PM
He said he'll run if his supporters donate $30,000,000 to his campaign... that's an impossible number so it's not going to happen.

honkywill
09-23-2007, 04:32 PM
i wish he would. dilute the vote.

Santana28
09-23-2007, 04:32 PM
at this point i'm starting to believe they're setting up multiple "Dream Teams" of candidates - like Having Guiliani choose McCain as his running mate, and perhaps Fred Thompson with Newt Gingrich, and Mitt Romney with Huckabee, and so on. Stack the deck a bit. This scenario frightens me just a bit.

Zydeco
09-23-2007, 04:35 PM
That was a really odd thing for him to say, but it's well within CFR capability to round that number up if they sense they have to.

csen
09-23-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm with honkywill -- the more the merrier. The longer we can keep the neocons from coming to a consensus candidate the more time we have to keep RP in the race with the field uncertain.

Michael Ingram
09-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Gingrich was just on Fox News, I would put his chances of running at 85%, he'll enter early October. Gingrich is very smart and is definitely the biggest threat.

USPatriot36
09-23-2007, 04:58 PM
If Newt runs it will be easier for them to say their are too many 2nd tier candidates and they need to eliminate a few from the debates.

bygone
09-23-2007, 05:01 PM
http://hometown.aol.com/lifeofbrian35/images/SuckAtInternet.jpg

Taco John
09-23-2007, 05:04 PM
It's been my prediction all along that Newt will run, and eventually get the endorsement of Dr. James Dobson, essentially cementing his support from the mainstream christian base.

Newt, as far as I'm concerned, is a serious threat.

Taco John
09-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Also wanted to add:

Newt would be a disaster of a president.

speciallyblend
09-23-2007, 05:09 PM
OK THE GOP IS DEAD IN THE WATER,they can enter another 15 candidates,THEY WILL STILL LOSE,UNLESS THEY NOMINATE RON PAUL.. RON PAUL 2008 or neither party,America is over them all.

FluffyUnbound
09-23-2007, 05:12 PM
I had a lot of hope for Newt at one time.

If you go by the material he used to include in his lecture series, he'd be a champion of the Constitution in many of the ways that Ron is.

But he's just another charlatan who drops the Constitution and runs away from it if it interferes in his ability to kill Muslims.

He's actually stated that he wants to get rid of free speech in the United States, because it undermines the war on terror. He's a clown.

bygone
09-23-2007, 05:20 PM
It's been my prediction all along that Newt will run, and eventually get the endorsement of Dr. James Dobson, essentially cementing his support from the mainstream christian base.

Newt, as far as I'm concerned, is a serious threat.

That might be if it were not for the other millions upon millions of people that don't agree with Dobson or Newt. I think you might overestimate him here.

He recommends that married women with children under the age of 18 focus on mothering, rather than work for income outside the home. He believes this provides a stable environment for the children to grow up in.

Mmmhmm. That might not go over so well. Under the age of 18? Give me a break. You can poke holes in a lot of the things Dobson has said even if you are a "mainstream Christian".

Dobson for the record has said one thing I agree with:

There is no issue today that is more significant to our culture than the defense of the family. Not even the war on terror eclipses it.

from Marriage Under Fire: Why We Must Win This Battle

You know if he had come in earlier and actually fought for it he might have been more of a "threat" than I think he is. I just think at this point all he can get is the support he already has and thats not enough. About the only person it would hurt if he came in would be Mitt IMO.

Like fluffy is saying... I think most people see right through him after the past several years.

LastoftheMohicans
09-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Here is "Mr. Libertarian", the late Murray Rothbard, on Gingrich:

http://www.antiwar.com/rep/wp_auth.html

Newt is the one candidate most easily exposed as a big-government conservative.

Johnnybags
09-23-2007, 05:30 PM
will be whittled down so the "Poll" numbers determine who gets TV time. Newt,Mitt,Fred,Rudy,McCain and possible the Huckster will all join hands in a CFR dance and say they will not go to debates with too many participants because the format does not give enough time. They go to major News, and major cable debates from here on. Of course the Paulites are going to need a plan to crash the debates at the next building over and have as many or more onhand as all the CFR boys combined. They will give him the 30 million, rest assured. Gallop, Zogby, and all the pollsters will help out.

Original_Intent
09-23-2007, 05:32 PM
at this point i'm starting to believe they're setting up multiple "Dream Teams" of candidates - like Having Guiliani choose McCain as his running mate, and perhaps Fred Thompson with Newt Gingrich, and Mitt Romney with Huckabee, and so on. Stack the deck a bit. This scenario frightens me just a bit.

You don't pick your running mate until you have the nomination - so I don't think the "dream team" is a threat.

dircha
09-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Newt was on Mackina(c/w) Island for the Michigan poll, and I think the CFR is pushing him to run. I believe that they're correctly sensing that none of the four Fred McRomliani "frontrunners" is going to be able to win the nomination.

So what do people think of Newt's chances? Newt is smarter than any of the other four and has a better grasp of the massive reform that has to take place in Washington very soon.

The big negative seems to be: you were at the helm of many of these proposed reforms from 1995-99, what the hell happened? Why has government spending soared in the past seven years? Of course, he can always say that he's been out of office during this time.

I personally view Gingrich as more of a threat than Fred McRomliani. But still, I think RP could take him!

Gingrich can also credibly claim that he wants to break with the Bush administration's foreign policy and conduct in the War on Terror.

Gingrich wants to paint our ongoing efforts in Iraq a just a small part in the war on terror. He wants us to free up resources so that we can expand the war and the threat of military force to the broader region, including confronting Iran and Syria.

And as others have commented, Gingrich has the necessary (neo-)conservative credentials to unify the base.

Cowlesy
09-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Gingrich is going to run.

No need to debate it.

ButchHowdy
09-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Savage had him pegged in the Political Zoo book:

Georgia GOPAC Tick (Spinelus cavinien) = Newt Gingrich

Rudy too:

Gotham Gazelle (Newyorkus pseudo-conservatus) = Rudy Giuliani

The Good Doctor
09-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Ole Newt said he isn't running unless he gets 30 million in donations first! Talk about balls!

Cowlesy
09-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Ole Newt said he isn't running unless he gets 30 million in donations first! Talk about balls!

$30.0 million in pledges.

He'll get that, will never need to disclose anything, and is going to run. It's fair to already consider him a threat.

The Good Doctor
09-23-2007, 05:58 PM
So what is a pledge VS a donation? I thought we were donating to the campaign for RP?

$30.0 million in pledges.

He'll get that, will never need to disclose anything, and is going to run. It's fair to already consider him a threat.

BarryDonegan
09-23-2007, 06:31 PM
dilute it more!

bbachtung
09-23-2007, 06:34 PM
So what is a pledge VS a donation? I thought we were donating to the campaign for RP?

A pledge is a person saying that they'll donate if the person gets into the race. It is usually bundlers who say that they can deliver hundreds of thousands of dollars each.

wgadget
09-23-2007, 06:45 PM
I can't see Dobson giving Newt his blessing...He's widely known to have a lot of "baggage," namely screwing around on his dying wife. Tut, tut.

Zydeco
09-23-2007, 07:22 PM
You don't pick your running mate until you have the nomination - so I don't think the "dream team" is a threat.

You don't pick your running mate, period. Did you ever hear how Reagan "picked" Bush as his running mate in 1980? He hated Bush, but Cronkite told him he could run with Bush and get great press, or without Bush and get awful press.

There's a committee who picks your running mate for you.

Dave
09-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Gingrich is most definitely running. Here's the thread from 2 months ago where this became clear:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=8077

Him showing up in Michigan makes it that much more obvious.

Only 4 more days until his "Solutions Day"...

M.Bellmore
09-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Gingrich is most definitely running. Here's the thread from 2 months ago where this became clear:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=8077

Him showing up in Michigan makes it that much more obvious.

Only 4 more days until his "Solutions Day"...

Well the Mackinaw conference was a "leadership" conference, not just a candidate forum.

The Good Doctor
09-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Well then why was Rudy there? :p

Well the Mackinaw conference was a "leadership" conference, not just a candidate forum.

Dary
09-23-2007, 09:01 PM
OK THE GOP IS DEAD IN THE WATER,they can enter another 15 candidates,THEY WILL STILL LOSE,UNLESS THEY NOMINATE RON PAUL.. RON PAUL 2008 or neither party,America is over them all.

Yep and it's too late. The only way that they could possibly cause Ron Paul to lose is to run a candidate that is even more pro-freedom, more pro-constitution than Ron Paul. That candidate doesn't exist.

Besides, we love our guy; we support him in every way.

I'll never jump ship and there is no Neo-Con alive that could ever join the race and sway my vote.

I can't wait for the day when they finally realize that contributing fists full of cash to a candidate that just can't win is just stupid.

There is a verse from an old Bob Dylan song "Like a Rolling Stone" that goes:

You used to ride on the chrome horse with your diplomat
Who carried on his shoulder a Siamese cat
Ain't it hard when you discover that
He really wasn't where it's at
After he took from you everything he could steal.
How does it feel?

There will be no Neo-Con, pro-war blowhard (at least on the republican side of the coin) winning the general election.

The five stages of Denial to Acceptance are

1. Denial
2. Anger/Resentment
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

I think that they are still in between 1 and 2 leaning more on 2.

Hopefully they will get through the last 3 stages pretty quickly. I still think we need them but I could be wrong. After watching the U of M football vid where the Ron Paul banner was being dragged through the air by a plane, and after hearing and seeing this vid, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bCRc2ub8hU , I'm beginning to think that the tipping point is near and we may not need them after all.

I do hope they come along though.

I sure am glad I did.