PDA

View Full Version : Sanford admits to affair

JoshLowry
06-24-2009, 12:29 PM
"There are moral absolutes. Consequences if you breach that. The bottom line is this: I have been unfaithful to my wife."

Discuss?

Razmear
06-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Watching press conference now on local SC tv.
Says he fell in love with woman from Argentina.

Will update as conference continues

eb

LibertyEagle
06-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Oh geez. Isn't he married?

Razmear
06-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Will resign as chairman of Repub Governors Association.

eb

MRoCkEd
06-24-2009, 12:32 PM
oh shit

Razmear

married with 4 kids, married for 20 years

just said wife knew of affiar 5 months ago. have been working thru it.

eb

LibertyEagle
Well, there goes Sanford.

Johnnybags
06-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Those south American hotties are hard for the elite to resist.

__27__
I wonder what he was threatened with.

max

I told you all he was a SCUMBAG from day 1! I knew he was banging some chick all along.

On Fathers Day no less...he's awol...then lies about it to his constiuents...

NEVER TRUST A BILDEBERGER!!!!!!

NEVER TRUST AN ADULTERER!!!!!

Minarchy4Sale
y should he go? If anything this should endear him to the left...

LibertyEagle
06-24-2009, 12:36 PM
I wonder what he was threatened with.

Yeah, that's what I thought. But, the fact that he went to Bilderberg does not make me trust him anyway.

Razmear
hes explaining how they met, 8 years ago as friends, he counciled her to stay with her husband for the sake of her kids, then exchanged emails, bond grew via email, started affair about 1 year ago.

eb

Kraig
I told you all he was a SCUMBAG from day 1! I knew he was banging some chick all along.

lol wow

It's just an affair and the *only* person who deserves to know, his wife, knew about it 5 months ago, what's the big deal?

FrankRep
06-24-2009, 12:37 PM
On Drudge Report!

http://www.drudgereport.com/

Deborah K
06-24-2009, 12:38 PM
I saw Senator deMint being interviewed last night by Glenn Beck. Beck asked him (about Sanford) "can you vouch for his character?" deMint got squirrely, scatching his nose and such and then said he could not. We thought it was a strange response. Well, now we know why.

Our elected officials should be held to the highest standard. If they're not up for it, or can't take the heat, they need to step down. What a POS!

Razmear
06-24-2009, 12:39 PM
conference over.

eb

__27__
06-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Effin google ads get me every time. Sometimes seeing what the google ad will be is better than the thread itself.

Paperbacks:

"Epic Thriller"
"Marital Infidelity"
"Political Farse"

:D

max
06-24-2009, 12:40 PM
lol wow

It's just an affair and the *only* person who deserves to know, his wife, knew about it 5 months ago, what's the big deal?

There are still some of us who take marriage vows seriously....and who believe that high moral character should be a prerequisite for high office.

A man who cheats on his wife is not going to tell you the truth either. The personal ethics of an elected official IS very much our business.

A man...a father no less...who behaves like that is not worthy of holding office....liar....cheat...sneaky...selfish.......I 'm sure his kids are real proud and happy!

we have enough of those in DC.

You'd never see Ron Paul doing that.

Razmear
06-24-2009, 12:42 PM
btw, I'd still vote for him again if he chooses to run.

eb

dannno
It's a personal thing.

I mean, we really don't know the circumstances.

I'm pretty sure a lot of women here will get mad for me saying this, but if she was holding out on him then I place the blame equally on both of them. If I were married for years and years and my wife started holding out on sex, I don't know that I would hunt for it but if the sex came to me I would take it without any moral qualms. That doesn't mean I would leave her, and it looks like he doesn't want that to happen. I guess you have to be male to understand, but sex is a completely different thing for guys.

I don't know if this was the situation or not, it's all speculation, but I wouldn't really say this is a lack of character neccessarily.. more like a sign of a strong libido. If he has the will to stay and support his family and leave behind the slut, then that is what matters.

He was a war hawk anyway, so no biggie.

Kraig
There are still some of us who take marriage vows seriously....and who believe that high moral character should be a prerequisite for high office.

A man who cheats on his wife is not going to tell you the truth either. The personal ethics of an elected official IS very much our business.

A man...a father no less...who behaves like that is not worthy of holding office....liar....cheat...sneaky...selfish.......I 'm sure his kids are real proud and happy!

...and you will never see a government run by people like Ron Paul.

max
06-24-2009, 12:44 PM

As long as there are so many people who dismiss adulterey as "just an affair"...you are correct. We'll never see a government of Ron Pauls.

A degenerate people elects degenerate politicians.

This nation's ill are primarily MORAL. The conomic stuff can be fixed in a year or 2.....Moral rot takes a whole generation to undo.

sluggo
06-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Edit: Removed link to daily kos bullshit story.

dr. hfn
06-24-2009, 12:46 PM
the Feds probably threatened him by spying on him illegally

max
06-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Daily KOS says he had a gay affair with Ted Haggard's old boytoy.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/6/24/746132/-Haggard-ex-

Something really stinks about this.

So...the righteous Mr. Sanford is a closet homosexual (as is Obama)...

this country is so f*******

Kraig
06-24-2009, 12:49 PM
It's a personal thing.

I'm pretty sure a lot of women here will get mad for me saying this, but if she was holding out on him then I place the blame equally on both of them. If I were married for years and years and my wife started holding out on sex, I don't know that I would hunt for it but if the sex came to me I would take it without any moral qualms. That doesn't mean I would leave her, and it looks like he doesn't want that to happen. I guess you have to be male to understand, but sex is a completely different thing for guys.

I don't know if this was the situation or not, it's all speculation, but I wouldn't really say this is a lack of character neccessarily.. more like a sign of a strong libido. If he has the will to stay and support his family and leave behind the slut, then that is what matters.

lol, what if she's not holding out on you, but what she's offering is just plain gross? :D

max
06-24-2009, 12:49 PM
I called this gay sex theory too.....

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=197062

and I'm also right about Neda's phony murder in Iran

Razmear
06-24-2009, 12:50 PM
If his wife knew about it is it still cheating?
He probably kept it from the public until the end of the legislative session so it would not jeopardize what he was trying to get done for the state.
The SC "Moral" folks will now rip him to shreds and Bauer (our LT GOV) will do all he can to move into the number one slot. Bauer is one of the biggest douchebags you will ever know (like Rick Beltram on steroids) so I hope Sanford does not resign as Gov.
Sanford even said he discussed the affair with his wife's father, so this was obviously a family issue the family was aware of, and that the public had no business knowing about until Sanford made todays statement.

eb

HOLLYWOOD
06-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Just hit Bloomberg... LIVE showing Sanford crying on International TV.

Stick a fork in him... Another GOPer DONE. Sounds like a Crack Pipe Weekend binger to me.

I think we Americans are going to have to form the new: TEA PARTY, because the Republican party is Dead with all this crap over the past 10 years.

sluggo
06-24-2009, 12:51 PM
All that matters is that people pay attention to the Sanford scandal, and not the Bernanke/BoA story.

WRellim
06-24-2009, 12:52 PM

AND a "secret affair" opens them up to blackmail, extortion and the threat of exposing their infidelity is a wonderful "lever" that can be used to force political compromise.

I mean seriously folks -- things like the whole Mark Foley scandal with the congressional page-boys -- those things are KNOWN by the party higher-ups; and they "do nothing" about them BECAUSE they are a way of controlling politicians.

The CIA has used that technique to control "spies" and "informants" for years. Same thing applies to politicians -- and if they ARE squeaky clean, then they have to try to dig up other dirt on them (like the whole newsletter thing with Ron Paul -- when that was regurgitated, it told me that it was the ONLY thing they had around to smear him with ...other than labeling him a "wacko").

SimpleName
06-24-2009, 12:53 PM
There are certain circumstances that people never see. People love to judge before they truly understand. But there is no excuse for breaking marriage vows. If there was a problem, he should've addressed it and maybe they could have divorced. That would have been much more honest and he would not be in deep shit now. He is despicable. Obviously not an honest man. Unfortunately, he was the closest thing that we would have got to a real conservative in 2012 that could actually win an election. But again, he is a cheater and a liar, so...maybe it wouldn't have been so great in the first place not that I really trusted him before.

Deborah K

Ahh....come on!!! Think positive! It could happen......;)

Todd
All that matters is that people pay attention to the Sanford scandal, and not the Bernanke/BoA story.

How true. While the country rots, we choose to watch a Soap opera.

max
06-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Just hit Bloomberg... LIVE showing Sanford crying on International TV.

Stick a fork in him... Another GOPer DONE

What a pussy!

Waaaa Waaaaaa. He's cheating on his wife and kids, gets caught and cries about it.

At least man up and say "you got me."

apropos

Yep. People won't have much indignation to spare after this.

God, what a puppet show America is.

DrRP08
What a shame...

max
06-24-2009, 12:56 PM
AND a "secret affair" opens them up to blackmail, extortion and the threat of exposing their infidelity is a wonderful "lever" that can be used to force political compromise.

Which is why Obama is perfect for the banksters.

They could destroy him at any time by revealing his gay sex and cocaine parties with Larry Sinclair.

Deborah K
06-24-2009, 12:59 PM
As long as there are so many people who dismiss adulterey as "just an affair"...you are correct. We'll never see a government of Ron Pauls.

A degenerate people elects degenerate politicians.

This nation's ill are primarily MORAL. The conomic stuff can be fixed in a year or 2.....Moral rot takes a whole generation to undo.

^ This

pinkmandy
06-24-2009, 01:00 PM
I think there's more to this story than an affair (which he could have on any business trip, no need to disappear all of a sudden after all the political ruckus he was involved in). Seems to me that there was some MSM (TPTB?) panic when he couldn't be found. This all seems so contrived to me. Kind of like the Spitzer ordeal.

HOLLYWOOD
06-24-2009, 01:01 PM

True, but as most here know, Government is above the law... a resignation to get "Our Boy Larry"(Larwrence Summers) into Bernake's seat. The whole thing will be a hoopla of this and that, only to fade away into oblivion government dungeon with JFK, Alberto Gonza, Dubya, Kissinger, Chenney, Dodd, Conrad, Maxine Waters... and hundreds of other.

Dismissed under the Code of United States of Amnesia and government Tyranny.

Brian4Liberty
06-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Shit!

I didn't post this up until now, but my guess was always that this was an affair, if the media report about the wife saying she "didn't know where he was" was actually true. It appears it was true.

max
06-24-2009, 01:03 PM
I think there's more to this story than an affair (which he could have on any business trip, no need to disappear all of a sudden after all the political ruckus he was involved in). Seems to me that there was some MSM (TPTB?) panic when he couldn't be found. This all seems so contrived to me. Kind of like the Spitzer ordeal.

I have a hunch that Sanford's "Argentinian Lover" is a dude.

What's going on in S Carolina with the gay GOP politicians...Lindsey Graham...possibly Sanford

ChaosControl
Sigh... one less person I can vote for.

Dustancostine
"I wanted to do something exotic," Sanford explained earlier

I guess this takes on another meaning.

nate895
06-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Interesting turn of events. I couldn't vote for him now; his politics are borderline and his morality is subpar.

Brian4Liberty
06-24-2009, 01:04 PM
And it is obvious that the media knew exactly what was going on the whole time. His enemies in his State knew. The media just wanted to force the issue and attempt to eliminate Sanford.

SimpleName
06-24-2009, 01:05 PM
It does seem like everytime there is a story about the Federal reserve or Obama. Just recently they covered the FDA Tobacco bill with Iran. Now Sanford covers the Bernanke story. Or how about going back to the primaries when Ron paul was gaining extraordinary steam and all of a sudden, for no reason, Mike Huckabee (the most similar candidate) skyrocketed in popularity. Seemed like there was one poll that showed him 2 points higher than before and he was the big news. I wish I had a full list of it, because I remember it happening constantly.

This story, not to be a conspiracy theorist, seems to fit perfectly into the hands of statists to show in some subliminal sense that people who oppose big government (or so Sanford says) are liars. lol. I don't know. Oh well...Mitt Romney is going to surely take advantage of this.

dannno
lol, what if she's not holding out on you, but what she's offering is just plain gross? :D

Hmmm I guess if 20 years went by and I was putting a lot of effort into taking care of myself and she wasn't, then possibly.. especially if she also pretty much lost interest in sex.. but if we had kids and she gained a little weight from that and was putting effort into staying in shape to keep that part of our relationship alive then I don't think I could do that to her.. If she still wanted it then I would never be one to deny it to her...but it would also be cool to be with a woman who has an open mind and perhaps bring another girl into the mix or if not then maybe let me have a treat once in a while.

Foot being on the other shoe, would I mind if my wife wasn't too impressed with me anymore and wanted another guy? As long as she doesn't start neglecting me in that department, if I became sloppy fat and ugly I guess you could say I would understand, as long as it was just once in a while... It's just that women seem to be the ones who more often start seeing someone else and can't go back to the first person. I'm not saying it never happens in the other direction, but men are MUCH better at going out and getting theirs and going back to their REAL relationship and/or responsibilities... because having sex isn't that big of a deal for guys, it doesn't need to be life altering and involve commitments and whatnot.

If I became unable to perform sexually, I'd still be able keep my wife happy in that department using other means.

Trailer Park Boys

Ricky: Well Lucy... I can't do anything... a snake bit my ....

Lucy: You can still hook a girl up... you know what I'm sayin?

Mod Note: Please keep the vulgarity out. You know what I'm sayin'?

Reply: Yep, sorry, I cut and pasted that part, certainly would have edited it had I typed it or noticed :o

nate895
I have a hunch that Sanford's "Argentinian Lover" is a dude.

What's going on in S Carolina with the gay GOP politicians...Lindsey Graham...possibly Sanford

Oh, come on, he isn't gay. What kind of sick mind do you have that the immediate thing that pops into your head is homosexuality?

Maybe that is what you'd be doing in Argentina...J/K

dannno
06-24-2009, 01:06 PM
There are certain circumstances that people never see. People love to judge before they truly understand. But there is no excuse for breaking marriage vows. If there was a problem, he should've addressed it and maybe they could have divorced. That would have been much more honest and he would not be in deep shit now. He is despicable. Obviously not an honest man. Unfortunately, he was the closest thing that we would have got to a real conservative in 2012 that could actually win an election. But again, he is a cheater and a liar, so...maybe it wouldn't have been so great in the first place not that I really trusted him before.

Why do they need to divorce just so he can stick his you know what into a nice you know what??

They have kids, he can still do that and come back to the family and take care of them. Obviously it's not an optimal situation, but there's no reason to divorce just cause the guy wanted to get his you know what wet.

moostraks
06-24-2009, 01:07 PM
This all seems so contrived to me. Kind of like the Spitzer ordeal.

+1

NerveShocker
06-24-2009, 01:09 PM
So he turned down the stimulus funny money.. and shortly after has his reputation destroyed (By his own words) and chances for a 2012 run eliminated.. I smell a rat.. plus I don't believe in coincidences. Really on fathers day go to Argentina to have an affair..? This guy may not be a genius but I don't believe he's that stupid. My guess is somebody got to him.. and told him to remove himself from contention(Or they'll do it).. What better way than admitting you've been having an affair for 5months.

acptulsa
06-24-2009, 01:10 PM
+1

Don't forget Blagojevich.

pinkmandy
06-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Oh boy.

Eta I'm pretty sure this is a joke...just DK trying to get some site hits I'm sure.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/6/24/0527/71296

Haggard 'ex-prostitute': Sanford was in Colorado with me
by iampunha
Digg this! Share this on Twitter - Haggard 'ex-prostitute': Sanford was in Colorado with meTweet this submit to reddit Share This
Wed Jun 24, 2009 at 07:20:49 AM PDT

ASSOCIATED PRESS

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Personal trainer and self-labeled ex-prostitute Mike Jones, whose allegations regarding disgraced Baptist megachurch preacher Ted Haggard led to the latter's resignation, says he spent the weekend in a Colorado hotel room with missing South Carolina Republican Gov. Mark Sanford. And he has a plane ticket receipt with Sanford's name on it that he says proves it.

A spokeswoman for Sanford's office called the allegation "beyond ludicrous; shameful," adding that Sanford is a "married man who is deeply committed to his wife and children, whom he loves very, very much."

"Governor Sanford would never engage in the incredibly immoral acts Mr. Jacobs has alleged took place," the spokeswoman said. "Governor Sanford believes homosexual acts are a sin and violate the Bible and the sacred institution of traditional marriage, which is why he fully supports South Carolina's Defense of Marriage Act, which defines marriage as being between only a man and a woman."

The spokeswoman wouldn't say if the governor plans to sue for defamation of character, only that "Mr. Jones should be very, very careful about what he says about Governor Sanford in the future. And we'll be praying for his soul at this clearly troubling time in his life."

1. Writing
2. Hiking
3. Argentina w/mistress
4. Colorado w/gay prostitute

Seems to me someone is out to ruin this man. And it would not shock me to find out his 'confession' was totally fake to protect his family. "You had an affair. You will resign. Or else.".

I mean, can't he just arrange business trips or whatever like most cheaters when he wants to visit a lover? Something STINKS here. Big time. Why couldn't he trust his own staff all of a sudden?

LibertyEagle
06-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Man, they're harping on this on CNN.

The man had an affair. He had already told his wife and family and they were trying to work through it.

It's not a hanging offense.

steph3n
06-24-2009, 01:14 PM
I knew when I saw he was in Argentina and not on the AT, that he was chasing tail.

LibertyEagle
06-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Yeah, this is getting really weird.

Deborah K
06-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Why do they need to divorce just so he can stick his you know what into a nice you know what??

They have kids, he can still do that and come back to the family and take care of them. Obviously it's not an optimal situation, but there's no reason to divorce just cause the guy wanted to get his you know what wet.

I wouldn't blame his wife if she wanted to hold it together while the kids still needed raising. These are sacrifices we make for our children, little kids deserve a mommy and daddy together in the home - assuming the parents can keep their marriage problems in perspective.

Bur your remark: "he can still do that and come back to the family and take care of them" gives no consideration at all to his wife and the devastation she must be feeling. I feel terrible for her. Sanford is a scum bag.

Carole
06-24-2009, 01:16 PM
It's a personal thing.

Of course it demonstrates a lack of character!!!:rolleyes:

And then there is this:

"I mean, we really don't know the circumstances.

I'm pretty sure a lot of women here will get mad for me saying this, but if she was holding out on him ..."

You try to excuse him and shift the blame to his wife immediately. :(

Your comment makes me want to puke.:p

(Thanks for the edit Bryan) :D

georgiaboy
06-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Best for Sanford's political career if he stays married, ala the Clintons. Be adults - admit, confess, reconcile, forgive, move on.

Hopefully the marriage is strong enough to withstand a blow like this. It'll never be the same, but hope it's strong enough to hold.

SimpleName
06-24-2009, 01:18 PM

As long as the wife knew about it, surely he could've taken that path. But assuming she was not ok with the situation, divorce would have been much more healthy.

You do make a good point though. If his wife just deals with it and he is still taking proper care of his children, I would guess there is little harm done.

dannno
06-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Bur your remark: "he can still do that and come back to the family and take care of them" gives no consideration at all to his wife and the devastation she must be feeling. I feel terrible for her. Sanford is a scum bag.

You might be right, he could be scumbag, but we don't really know the situation. If she was holding out then I don't really blame him. It really depends on the situation, and you would have to be one of them to really understand.

ladyjade3
06-24-2009, 01:20 PM
This is why women should rule the world.

LibertyEagle
06-24-2009, 01:20 PM
You might be right, he could be scumbag, but we don't really know the situation. If she was holding out then I don't really blame him. It really depends on the situation, and you would have to be one of them to really understand.

The man cheated on his wife. He broke his vow to her. He was wrong.

END OF STORY.

MRoCkEd
06-24-2009, 01:22 PM
now the networks have plenty of news for the next year

pinkmandy
06-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Yeah, this is getting really weird.

I think the DK article is a joke. Just trying to capitalize on the scandal. Going to go edit my op so others are aware of that. ;)

georgiaboy
06-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Dannno's on point - it's between the two of them, and affairs are not always one-sided. There are marriages that survive affairs, and I hope Sanford's does.

Not justifying affairs, or any hurtful activities that betray the marriage bond. The vow, however, does say "for better or for worse" for a reason. Divorce is sometimes just one more ugliness that compounds matters.

NYgs23
06-24-2009, 01:26 PM
I don't see what a personal failing has to do with his political activities. He admitted it. It's between him and his wife.

georgiaboy
06-24-2009, 01:28 PM

END OF STORY.

He was wrong, yes. But end of story? That's probably not the case.

moostraks
06-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Oh boy.

Eta I'm pretty sure this is a joke...just DK trying to get some site hits I'm sure.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/6/24/0527/71296

1. Writing
2. Hiking
3. Argentina w/mistress
4. Colorado w/gay prostitute

Seems to me someone is out to ruin this man. And it would not shock me to find out his 'confession' was totally fake to protect his family. "You had an affair. You will resign. Or else.".

I mean, can't he just arrange business trips or whatever like most cheaters when he wants to visit a lover? Something STINKS here. Big time. Why couldn't he trust his own staff all of a sudden?

Welcome to the twilight zone of political intrigue. This one is over the top, but so is most news nowadays. This story is in bizarro land, and the level of play it is getting seems disproportionate.

MCockerill08
06-24-2009, 01:31 PM
If you can't be loyal to your wife (and more importantly, your kids) than how the hell can you be trusted with the massive (usually evil) power of the state?

If you want to screw around, don't get married. If you can't stand your wife, get a divorce. But you don't cheat on your wife. I'm sorry if that's old fashioned, but it really disgusts me in most cases. (and i'm fairly moderate socially)

Also, I hate it when these parasites claim that this is a "private issue." If you were supporting yourself with PRODUCTIVE LABOR then it certainly would be, but Sanford (like all other bureaucrats) is a "public official," in that he is LIVING OFF THE TAXPAYER! He's as subject to our judgment and discipline as an unruly teenager is to his parents.

IN any case, I never bought this guy's devotion to the liberty movement. No anti-war, anti-statist, pro-market libertarian would pander to creeps like Newt Gingrich.

sluggo
06-24-2009, 01:33 PM
DAILY KOS story is bullshit.

Snark.
I lied.
The hotel name's legit -- I looked that up. It was the one farthest from the Colorado Springs Airport (also looked up).
The danger fetish ("Oh no he's going to be back soon gotta hurry up") was invented.
Snark, all of it. Lies. As Twain would say, only not, lies, damn lies, and snark.

dannno
06-24-2009, 01:34 PM

END OF STORY.

No, she could have broken her vows to him as well. When a woman holds out, I believe she is breaking her vows. That's just my male opinion that most women can't comprehend, but.. ya.. if you wanna talk about vows let's take it from both sides.

Danke
06-24-2009, 01:34 PM
This is why women should rule the world.

They don't? :confused:

moostraks
06-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Don't forget Blagojevich.

Good one, I had forgotten about him...

pinkmandy
06-24-2009, 01:36 PM
He was wrong, yes. But end of story? That's probably not the case.

Ita. It's the end of the story as far as MSM is concerned, though. Who knows what the truth really is...would you lie and say you had an affair if people wanted you out of office? How about to protect your family? Your children? These guys play hardball. How do we know he didn't 'disappear', out from the watchful eyes of those who watch him, to do something they wouldn't like? Even expose them? His disappearance is very odd. He could have just arranged a vacation. Or a trip to visit his lover. It's done all the time. It's like he couldn't trust anyone, not even his own staff, to know where he was going. And the timing- right after some big political battles and on Father's Day weekend? I know that's heading way into conspiracy, and maybe he did just have an affair and that's all there is to it, but how would we know? This sort of thing seems to happen a lot. Especially during times when distractions are needed. ;)

It's all fishy to me.

puppetmaster
06-24-2009, 01:37 PM
lol wow

if you do not have morals than you cannot be trusted .....bottom line

Johnnybags
06-24-2009, 01:37 PM
If she is 25yr old Argentine model his career is dead, if she is 45 yr old bag he has a chance. My guess is the former. I'll say a 26 yr old former Miss Argentina contestant.

Original_Intent
06-24-2009, 01:38 PM
If you can't be loyal to your wife (and more importantly, your kids) than how the hell can you be trusted with the massive (usually evil) power of the state?

If you want to screw around, don't get married. If you can't stand your wife, get a divorce. But you don't cheat on your wife. I'm sorry if that's old fashioned, but it really disgusts me in most cases. (and i'm fairly moderate socially)

IN any case, I never bought this guy's devotion to the liberty movement. No anti-war, anti-state, pro-market libertarian would pander to creeps like Newt Gingrich.

Why more importantly your kids? Did you vow to your children you would be faithful to your wife? I don't undesrtand the aside "and more importantly your kids". Other than that quibble, yeah I agree with all of it.

pinkmandy
06-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Welcome to the twilight zone of political intrigue. This one is over the top, but so is most news nowadays. This story is in bizarro land, and the level of play it is getting seems disproportionate.

Intrigue or outright lies and manipulation? :o

Kraig
06-24-2009, 01:39 PM
if you do not have morals than you cannot be trusted .....bottom line

lol what of it? You guys care more about a personal contract that has nothing to do with you while turning the other way as they pick your pocket, and you talk about morals, give me a fucking break. This is about religion not morals.

Original_Intent
06-24-2009, 01:45 PM
lol what of it? You guys care more about a personal contract that has nothing to do with you while turning the other way as they pick your pocket, and you talk about morals, give me a fucking break. This is about religion not morals.

Yeah we are talking about the only governor that fought against taking bailout money dumbass.

georgiaboy
06-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Ita. It's the end of the story as far as MSM is concerned, though. Who knows what the truth really is...would you lie and say you had an affair if people wanted you out of office? How about to protect your family? Your children? These guys play hardball. How do we know he didn't 'disappear', out from the watchful eyes of those who watch him, to do something they wouldn't like? Even expose them? His disappearance is very odd. He could have just arranged a vacation. Or a trip to visit his lover. It's done all the time. It's like he couldn't trust anyone, not even his own staff, to know where he was going. And the timing- right after some big political battles and on Father's Day weekend? I know that's heading way into conspiracy, and maybe he did just have an affair and that's all there is to it, but how would we know? This sort of thing seems to happen a lot. Especially during times when distractions are needed. ;)

It's all fishy to me.

Well, I wasn't taking the plot that far. :)

If Sanford was being blackmailed or something, I'd hope he'd have the courage to blow the whistle or something other than construct this elaborate hoax.

My comment was more along the lines of Danno's thinking, that the affair itself may just be one piece of the overall personal situation, and there may be some more blame to spread around than just Sanford's bedhopping spree.

moostraks
06-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Intrigue or outright lies and manipulation? :o

:eek:;)

Spike
06-24-2009, 01:51 PM
First Spitzer, and now Sanford. Geez..

Why can't the shitty politicians ever admit to an affair or get caught for paying for sex?

Original_Intent
06-24-2009, 01:52 PM
First Spitzer, and now Sanford. Geez..

Why can't the shitty politicians ever admit to an affair or get caught for paying for sex?

Why would you investigate someone who was already on your side?

puppetmaster
06-24-2009, 01:55 PM

You judge me very quickly my friend. I have never turned away and I never will. I have been fighting since I was old enough to understand.

Not about religion at all.
It is about a commitment, will power, and the ability to make sound decisions even when tempted. If he chose to sacrifice his own kids and family then do you think he would think twice about selling out people he has never even met?? NO he would not especially if presented with incentive, like getting a piece of Argentinian ass!! (BTW I have land in Argentina;)

angelatc
06-24-2009, 01:56 PM

I agree with you 100%.

I was prepared to support his presidential run. This ends any real chance of getting a libertarian Republican elected in 2012.

rp08orbust
06-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Well, there goes Sanford.

Or here he comes.

(Newt Gingrich)

max
06-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Why more importantly your kids? Did you vow to your children you would be faithful to your wife? I don't undesrtand the aside "and more importantly your kids". Other than that quibble, yeah I agree with all of it.

How do u think his kids feel about their mother being betrayed???? What he did to THEIR MOTHER he also does to them.

Total mind-fuck when kids realize that their family is based on a LIE.

puppetmaster
06-24-2009, 01:58 PM

....and how you perform under it has everything to do with character

max
06-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Yeah we are talking about the only governor that fought against taking bailout money dumbass.

PURE POLITICAL POSTURING!!!!! Thats all that was.

Deborah K
06-24-2009, 01:59 PM
No, she could have broken her vows to him as well. When a woman holds out, I believe she is breaking her vows. That's just my male opinion that most women can't comprehend, but.. ya.. if you wanna talk about vows let's take it from both sides.

You are assuming she held out and that is why he cheated. Some men cheat out of boredom, mid-life crisis, insecurity, etc. In any case, don't take vows unless you intend to keep them, otherwise, what's the point?

angelatc
06-24-2009, 01:59 PM

So we should only get pissed about the cheating and abuses that bear your moral stamp of approval.

A willingness to overlook these personal transgressions would indicate you're actually more prepared to support the status quo than we are.

Kraig
06-24-2009, 02:00 PM

Yeah he "fought" against bailouts, what money was used to pay his salary as governor?

acptulsa
I agree with you 100%.

I was prepared to support his presidential run. This ends any real chance of getting a libertarian Republican elected in 2012.

It doesn't make it easier, but I think you underestimate us. Us, the mess that the nation will be in by then, and the anger that will be prevalent as a result.

I say we keep on keeping on, and see how the chips fall.

angelatc

Wow. What a great catch you are.

That's my take on it.

angelatc
06-24-2009, 02:02 PM
It doesn't make it easier, but I think you underestimate us. Us, the mess that the nation will be in by then, and the anger that will be prevalent as a result.

I say we keep on keeping on, and see how the chips fall.

I hope you're right. I've been quite depressed about the future of the country lately, and Sanford was my one bright spot.

This really hurt my spirit.

angelatc
06-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Yeah he "fought" against bailouts, what money was used to pay his salary as governor?

The money that the voters in his state approved paying him, duh.

pacelli
06-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Cue the Gary Johnson worship in 5...4...3...2..

Chieftain1776
06-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I'm disappointed. I thought (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=1963934&postcount=72)he was our best mainstream chance to spread the message in 2012. He was consistent on his fiscal conservatism.... a question mark on foreign policy and social issues.

I don't know if one can be dishonest with his own family and be honest in his political principles. It's not about general "morality" as in "Does he go to church?" but his ability to keep his word to those he gives it to.

One annoying thing is the comparison to Spitzer. Unlike Spitzer Sanford wasn't hiring a prostitute and by doing so breaking the laws he's supposed to enforce. I also don't think he was a bible thumper like Ensign, Gingrich, Haggard etc.

That said John McCain had his issues and the GOP nominated him so it may not be over politically for Sanford. And Sanford's wife, weirdly, knew about it for 5 months.

I just don't know if a cheater is a person that does credibility of the liberty movement any good.

acptulsa
06-24-2009, 02:05 PM

GARY! GAAAARRRYYYYYYY!!!!!

*flings bra*

angelatc
06-24-2009, 02:06 PM
I just don't know if a cheater is a person that does credibility of the liberty movement any good.

I won't vote for him even if he gets the nomination.

purplechoe
lol wow

For someone running for public office in my opinion should be a huge deal. If he cheats on his wife, he will "cheat" on his constituents. To me that says a great deal about his character.

Once a cheater, always a cheater.

angelatc

Too bad nobody's ever heard of him.

pacelli
06-24-2009, 02:07 PM

*flings bra*

:D Thanks for humoring me :p

LibertyEagle
06-24-2009, 02:07 PM

*flings bra*

YouTube, or it didn't happen. :p

haaaylee
06-24-2009, 02:08 PM
this seems like more of an emotional affair than a physical one - two different countries. how many times to you think he actually went to Argentina prior to this?

acptulsa
06-24-2009, 02:08 PM
YouTube, or it didn't happen. :p

No 'tube. And you're right.

LibertyEagle
06-24-2009, 02:09 PM
After watching FreedomWatch, W.A.R. seems to think he has the Libertarian nomination all wrapped up.

Deborah K
06-24-2009, 02:09 PM

Put yourself in the shoes of his wife, if you can. This has nothing to do with religion. Betrayal is what it is, whether it's in your personal or professional life. If you take a vow, commit to it. I don't believe for one second that you can be virtuous in politics and a scoundrel in your personal life. Morality is about right and wrong, NOT religion. His moral character is obviously seriously flawed. He wants what he wants regardless of the consequences. Screw that.

max
06-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Put yourself in the shoes of his wife, if you can. This has nothing to do with religion. Betrayal is what it is, whether it's in your personal or professional life. If you take a vow, commit to it. I don't believe for one second that you can be virtuous in politics and a scoundrel in your personal life. Morality is about right and wrong, NOT religion. His moral character is obviously seriously flawed. He wants what he wants regardless of the consequences. Screw that.

You mean that a man who betrays, embarrases, and disgraces his wife and four sons (on Fathers Day no less!) might then display that same type of selfishness and dishonesty when entrusted to a powerful high office?

Naaahhh....;)

puppetmaster
06-24-2009, 02:15 PM
You mean that a man who betrays, embarrases, and disgraces his wife and four sons (on Fathers Day no less!) might then display that same type of selfishness and dishonesty when entrusted to a powerful high office?

Naaahhh....;)

nicely worded

Deborah K
06-24-2009, 02:15 PM

Naaahhh....;)

That's exactly what I mean. ;)

purplechoe
06-24-2009, 02:18 PM

Whatever "little" respect I had for you just vanished right there.

BuddyRey
06-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Too bad nobody's ever heard of him.

Please remember, nobody had ever heard of Ron Paul either. Now he's a superstar.

Great philosophical leaders aren't born; they're made.

purplechoe
06-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Dannno's on point - it's between the two of them,

He's a public official, I make it my business. To me character matters above anything else. If a person has no character, I don't give a shit if his 100% allined with Ron Paul on his rethoric, his not getting my vote.

You people have your priorities so fucked up it's astonishing!!!

max
06-24-2009, 02:22 PM
That's exactly what I mean. ;)

Sanford's four sons: "Hey dad. We missed you on Father's Day. Where did you go?

Sanford: "I missed you boys too. I went hiking to clear my head. Boy those Appalachain mountains are beautiful."

Sanford's sons: "Gee dad. That sounds like fun.

Yeah....now THAT'S a guy I can trust when he tells me he's for fiscal restraint, balanced budgets, national sovereignty, tax cuts etc....yeah right!

pinkmandy
06-24-2009, 02:24 PM
I don't think Sanford is an idiot. Which is what he would be if he ran off for a week w/out telling anyone where he was going just to sleep w/a woman. Not even his staff. A staff that could easily send him off to a meeting, a conference, ANYTHING. For some reason he couldn't trust his own staff? If he was having an affair then you can bet they knew about it prior to his trip and have probably arranged other meetings for him.

No, he was hiding from everyone intentionally and the MSM took notice and made this a story. He didn't want to be found. I just can't believe he committed political suicide, knowingly, to go spend a week w/a woman when he could have done that w/out raising any suspicion whatsoever. The events portrayed don't make sense for a man aspiring to be President. He's smarter than that.

RoyalShock
06-24-2009, 02:25 PM
dannno, you obviously don't understand the biblical view of sex/marriage.

One, the wife holding out may be a sin, but it isn't adultery.

Two, one spouse cheating does not give the other license to cheat. As long as one is in a God-ordained marriage, they are still accountable to God for their behavior. Either re-commit to your repentant spouse, or end the marriage (adultery being the only biblical "out").

Three, sex is much, much more than a physical act. It is an expression of love, intimacy and devotion. No self-respecting Christian wife would endorse her husband getting some on the side, regardless of the circumstances.

On to the political side . . .

If a man cannot withstand the temptation of hedonistic pleasure of a marital affair, how can he be trusted to withtstand the temptation of corruption that comes from being in a position of power?

It is all about character. And while Sanford has perhaps truly repented and attempting to restore his relationship with God and his wife, one would have to be cautious in entrusting power to him in the future.

JoshLowry
06-24-2009, 02:28 PM
too bad nobody's ever heard of him.(johnson)please remember, nobody had ever heard of ron paul either. Now he's a superstar.

+1776

pacelli
06-24-2009, 02:28 PM
I don't think Sanford is an idiot. Which is what he would be if he ran off for a week w/out telling anyone where he was going just to sleep w/a woman. Not even his staff. A staff that could easily send him off to a meeting, a conference, ANYTHING. For some reason he couldn't trust his own staff? If he was having an affair then you can bet they knew about it prior to his trip and have probably arranged other meetings for him.

No, he was hiding from everyone intentionally and the MSM took notice and made this a story. He didn't want to be found. I just can't believe he committed political suicide, knowingly, to go spend a week w/a woman when he could have done that w/out raising any suspicion whatsoever. The events portrayed don't make sense for a man aspiring to be President. He's smarter than that.

If what you are implying is true, then WHY did the MSM take notice NOW? Why did they sit on it for so long? He said his wife knew about it for 5 months, and he was in contact with the person for 8 years.

I'm not asking for a youtube or a wiki (and won't in any response to this issue), but rather what do you think is really going on here?

Deborah K
06-24-2009, 02:30 PM

Where are you going with this? You obviously think there is more to this than meets the eye. I'm interested. Bring this theory to its logical conclusion, if you would please.

Carole
06-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Yes!!

RoyalShock
06-24-2009, 02:37 PM
I didn't see the PC, so maybe he addressed this. If not, my take on why he disappeared is that the man was preparing to go public with something very personal, embarassing to himself and family and humiliating for someone trying to live a godly life. He probably needed some time to reflect and summon the courage to reveal this to the world. Isolation can be a great tool for stripping away the peripheral things in life and dealing with the core issue.

It's not always a conspiracy.

DeadheadForPaul
06-24-2009, 02:38 PM
This sucks. I seriously think he was our only true hope of turning the GOP into a small gov't party - even if he isn't a libertarian. Sad day for the liberty movement to take the GOP in the right direction

haaaylee
06-24-2009, 02:39 PM

i'm pretty sure marriage is about love not sex. otherwise we could just all go around banging each other all day.

unless you want governement benefits, then get married.

DeadheadForPaul
06-24-2009, 02:40 PM
lol wow

Max is a radical clown

angelatc
06-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Please remember, nobody had ever heard of Ron Paul either. Now he's a superstar.

Philosophy is important, but we lost the election. I was hoping for a Sanford/Johnson ticket.

Mitt Romney is happy dancing today.

pinkmandy
06-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Where are you going with this? You obviously think there is more to this than meets the eye. I'm interested. Bring this theory to its logical conclusion, if you would please.

I'm wondering if he was doing something to subvert some plans of TPTB. Perhaps he really was angry over being forced to take stimulus money? He has been talking a lot about states rights, he was forced to take the stimulus money after fighting hard against it and then he tried to pay down debt w/it and lost again. Maybe that was all a show or maybe the man realized everything that has been happening and thought he could do something to make a difference?

Imo, the MSM are nothing more than propaganda tools and there's almost always more than meets the eye. This man disappeared. Right after the legislature ended the session. After a lot of vicious infighting. Don't we always wish *someone* would just make a stand? Expose what is going on? Maybe he was trying to do just that- who knows where he was, what he was doing, who he was meeting with (or maybe it was just an affair). I just can't fathom him creating this circus so he could leave his kids on Father's Day weekend to go sleep w/a woman when he could have done that at anytime. Like next week he could have planned a trip with no hoopla at all. This doesn't make sense. He's smart. He knew he was going to be the center of attention when he secretly left without notifying his staff or the Lt Gov. Whatever it was, it had to be worth it personally because he had to know he was possibly sacrificing his political future. I just don't buy this was over a woman. I just don't think he's stupid enough to have handled an affair this way.

I think this is political. Whatever it is. I think we'll see more 'leaks' coming out in the days and weeks to come, though.

puppetmaster
06-24-2009, 02:46 PM

Well by your name I am assuming you are a female.

You must understand a basic instinct for us guys will dominate our character. That instinct is a very strong need to have sex with different, beautiful women. It is never far from our thoughts and WILL make us do stupid things. Our natural animal instincts are never far from the surface...and neither are yours, but yours are very different instincts.
The point is that smart people have just as many instinctual desires as stupid people they just may be able to hide them better.

Now if you run over to your husband/boyfriend and ask him if what this guy "puppetmaster" says is true....what do you expect him to say.:rolleyes:

Honey you only want me right....? You never think of sex with other girls right?

TGGRV
06-24-2009, 02:50 PM
The bottom line, who cares? From what I read, at least he frigging admitted it, unlike Bill Clit-on. It's hilarious that people give a shit about a guy's marriage and sex life when they want to choose him to be a president. I don't really care. He is accountable for cheating in front of his wife, not mine.

Carole
06-24-2009, 02:50 PM
I don't see what a personal failing has to do with his political activities. He admitted it. It's between him and his wife.

Excuse me, but look at all the lies "so far" revealed around this one weekend away.

Character DOES matter--above all else. Lack of character leaves one vulnerable to all sorts of unpleasant things. Like extortion and bribery for example. It is like a Pandora's box-once opened. One cannot put toothpaste back into a tube as has been said.

His career is finished!!! And I do not care about him but his wife and children will now be embarrassed in front of the cameras. There MAY be even worse/more to this, but so far it is a disaster.

I remember when Dr. Paul was in South Carolina for debates during primaries and Sanford flatly backed away from supporting him. Sanford also said "then" that he had a lot on his plate and even mentioned having time for his family.

He attended Bilderberg meeting also.

Sorry, but I think there is a lot more to this story and eventually it will come out, but I could never support this person politically. I hope he gets his life straightened out for the sake of his family.

Trust, once lost, is difficult to regain.

pinkmandy
06-24-2009, 02:52 PM

You must understand a basic instinct for us guys will dominate our character. That instinct is a very strong need to have sex with different, beautiful women. It is never far from our thoughts and WILL make us do stupid things. Our natural animal instincts are never far from the surface...and neither are yours, but yours are very different instincts.
The point is that smart people have just as many instinctual desires as stupid people they just may be able to hide them better.

Now if you run over to your husband/boyfriend and ask him if what this guy "puppetmaster" says is true....what do you expect him to say.:rolleyes:

Honey you only want me right....? You never think of sex with other girls right?

No doubt! I recognize this. :D It's the way this happened that intrigues me. If he has been having an affair, how has he been meeting this woman? Probably just like any other? Business Trips. Conferences. Whatever. Now, why on earth would he not do the same again? The man KNOWS that if he 'disappears' for many days, as Governor, that people will be looking for him. Now why would he do that? Why would he not tell his 'trusted' staff where he was going? Or have someone he trusts set up a trip for him? A smart man having an affair would know how to meet his lover w/out raising too many questions. Why disappear like that? Who was he hiding from? More than his wife, that's for sure. And that leads me to wonder what he was doing? Really? How do we know we are hearing the truth? Why was MSM in such an uproar from the get go? Because they are truly investigative journalists? *lol* Who do they work for? How do we know the man isn't being blackmailed?

LibertyEagle
I agree with you, Carole, but I also think that something else is up here.

angelatc

In other words, you're too weak to control yourself, but it isn't really your fault.

Now if you run over to your wife/gf and ask her if what this guy "puppetmaster" says is true....what do you expect her to say? :rolleyes:

moostraks
06-24-2009, 02:53 PM

I side with you on the fact that this is suspicious from the angle of disappearing without informing anyone when he easily could have covered his tracks. Having lived with a cheater who was fairly good at it, this guy had numerous ways to cover his tracks and the whole thing was just plain hokey...Also I agree, his staff would have an inkling. I believe they would not have played into the whole media hype unless they were genuinely worried as it is their livelihood as well now that he's discredited.(They would also have to be extremely inept along with Sanford.And that smacks of too much stupidity,imo)

If you were truly going to have a fling, especially being over 20, you will make sure you have bases covered in case anyone should question your whereabouts. Especially if you have already confessed to an affair and were in deep with your s.o.

DeadheadForPaul
06-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Philosophy is important, but we lost the election. I was hoping for a Sanford/Johnson ticket.

Mitt Romney is happy dancing today.

I agree 100%.

I'd also like to remind you all that Dr. Paul couldn't even get significant numbers in the Republican primaries. We did a great job at name recognition, but he wasn't truly established in the minds of everyday Americans. Sanford was and he blew it - big time. Now we're stuck with a Romney v. Jindal showdown in the GOP

klamath
06-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Sanford is done in my book. I won't waste anymore time on him. Well it is back down to only RP. What a freaking joke.

TGGRV
06-24-2009, 02:56 PM
He is right. Attraction is a powerful thing.

EDIT:If you'd mind your boss firing you for cheating on your wife and you dislike this guy for it, you're a hypocrite.

DeadheadForPaul
06-24-2009, 02:56 PM
I side with you on the fact that this is suspicious from the angle of disappearing without informing anyone when he easily could have covered his tracks. Having lived with a cheater who was fairly good at it, this guy had numerous ways to cover his tracks and the whole thing was just plain hokey...Also I agree, his staff would have an inkling. I believe they would not have played into the whole media hype unless they were genuinely worried as it is their livelihood as well now that he's discredited.(They would also have to be extremely inept along with Sanford.And that smacks of too much stupidity,imo)

If you were truly going to have a fling, especially being over 20, you will make sure you have bases covered in case anyone should question your whereabouts. Especially if you have already confessed to an affair and were in deep with your s.o.

My guess is that he went down to Argentina for 1 of 2 reasons:
1.) To end the affair and try to avoid media exposure

or more likely:
2.) To spend time with his mistress (and stay with her) and warn her that media attention was coming her way once he revealed it to the media

Knowing the media, someone knew that he was about to announce his infidelity and they jumped the gun to expose him. It was probably one of his political enemies

pacelli
06-24-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm wondering if he was doing something to subvert some plans of TPTB. Perhaps he really was angry over being forced to take stimulus money? He has been talking a lot about states rights, he was forced to take the stimulus money after fighting hard against it and then he tried to pay down debt w/it and lost again. Maybe that was all a show or maybe the man realized everything that has been happening and thought he could do something to make a difference?

Imo, the MSM are nothing more than propaganda tools and there's almost always more than meets the eye. This man disappeared. Right after the legislature ended the session. After a lot of vicious infighting. Don't we always wish *someone* would just make a stand? Expose what is going on? Maybe he was trying to do just that- who knows where he was, what he was doing, who he was meeting with (or maybe it was just an affair). I just can't fathom him creating this circus so he could leave his kids on Father's Day weekend to go sleep w/a woman when he could have done that at anytime. Like next week he could have planned a trip with no hoopla at all. This doesn't make sense. He's smart. He knew he was going to be the center of attention when he secretly left without notifying his staff or the Lt Gov. Whatever it was, it had to be worth it personally because he had to know he was possibly sacrificing his political future. I just don't buy this was over a woman. I just don't think he's stupid enough to have handled an affair this way.

I think this is political. Whatever it is. I think we'll see more 'leaks' coming out in the days and weeks to come, though.

Well, if he was tapped by anyone to play the role of the dark horse for 2012, I think you pose an intriguing theory, where he basically sabotaged that plan. Your theory could be true even if he is telling the truth about cheating on his wife. This does set a precedent for the media to become more intrusive into the lives of any GOP candidate. He didn't say it was wrong for the media to cover this, and even asked the media to respect his family's privacy, but not his. It may give GOP candidates a moment of pause.

DeadheadForPaul
06-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Sanford is done in my book. I won't waste anymore time on him. Well it is back down to only RP. What a freaking joke.

Ron Paul is too old.

No one will take him seriously as an older candidate. Think about how McCain's age hurt him...Ron Paul will be like 3-5 years older than McCain was in 04

LibertyEagle
06-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Cavuto just announced that Sanford's wife asked him to leave 2 weeks ago.

Carole
06-24-2009, 02:58 PM

Sadly, I think you may be right. :(

moostraks
06-24-2009, 03:00 PM
No doubt! I recognize this. :D It's the way this happened that intrigues me. If he has been having an affair, how has he been meeting this woman? Probably just like any other? Business Trips. Conferences. Whatever. Now, why on earth would he not do the same again? The man KNOWS that if he 'disappears' for many days, as Governor, that people will be looking for him. Now why would he do that? Why would he not tell his 'trusted' staff where he was going? Or have someone he trusts set up a trip for him? A smart man having an affair would know how to meet his lover w/out raising too many questions. Why disappear like that? Who was he hiding from? More than his wife, that's for sure. And that leads me to wonder what he was doing? Really? How do we know we are hearing the truth? Why was MSM in such an uproar from the get go? Because they are truly investigative journalists? *lol* Who do they work for? How do we know the man isn't being blackmailed?

I just watched the youtube this afternoon regarding the Bilderberg meeting and gave him credit for not being sooo stupid, but playing coy. However, thought he had big ones to call Rockefeller yesterday's news. Maybe he was naive??? :confused: He sure messed with the wrong hornet's nest if so, just like Spitzer...

Carole
06-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Post removed. :D

moostraks
06-24-2009, 03:05 PM
My guess is that he went down to Argentina for 1 of 2 reasons:
1.) To end the affair and try to avoid media exposure

or more likely:
2.) To spend time with his mistress (and stay with her) and warn her that media attention was coming her way once he revealed it to the media

Knowing the media, someone knew that he was about to announce his infidelity and they jumped the gun to expose him. It was probably one of his political enemies

You still would create a cover story, either way. This has turned into a three ring circus. Someone would have some idea where you are, and you would stick to your story not embellishing and deviating. If this had been transpiring for some time previously, then he was obviously good enough to have kept that quiet so why be so blatantly unreachable you would not trust your staff???Anyone on your staff???

puppetmaster
06-24-2009, 03:16 PM
In other words, you're too weak to control yourself, but it isn't really your fault.

Now if you run over to your wife/gf and ask her if what this guy "puppetmaster" says is true....what do you expect her to say? :rolleyes:

so in your above statement, (weak = uncontrolled) and (strong = controlled)

Then a hurricane is weak as it is uncontrolled?

We are weak if we fight our instincts in my opinion.....and not recognizing that people follow instincts is a also a sign of weakness.

Brian4Liberty
06-24-2009, 03:19 PM
No penalty for Rudy...

No Grace At Gracie Mansion
By Margaret Carlson Sunday, May. 20, 2001

What will we tell the children? Republicans liked wringing their hands over that one, adding the bad example set by Bill Clinton to their reasons for impeaching him. So what are G.O.P. leaders thinking as their flagship mayor, Rudy Giuliani of New York City, risks damaging his children by publicly berating their mother and declaring his eternal love for a woman not his wife?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,127260,00.html

LibertyEagle
06-24-2009, 03:23 PM
so in your above statement, (weak = uncontrolled) and (strong = controlled)

Then a hurricane is weak as it is uncontrolled?

We are weak if we fight our instincts in my opinion.....and not recognizing that people follow instincts is a also a sign of weakness.

No, she's saying that it puts you on the same level as a male dog. Animals are unable to control their urges. People should be able to. Especially anyone that we might elect to a position of power.

Following your logic, we should understand why a President would give away state secrets because he wanted to hump a hot diplomat. After all, he's just following his animal urges and is unable to control them. :rolleyes:

Theriot
06-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Goddammit. Sanford is done now, no hope for him. Ron Paul 2012.

tonesforjonesbones
06-24-2009, 03:25 PM
This is my take..same as someone in previous page said. Sanford goes up against the New World Order by not taking the swindlus money. They tell him to stand down or else....he disappears mysteriously for days....he comes bacik with a "honey trap". I believe he was threatened. tones (he was the most libertarian/constitutionalist candidate you know and we can't have that now can we?)

amonasro
06-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Well, there goes that. Rudy got a pass on his affairs, but they happened long enough ago and he remarried.

Original_Intent
06-24-2009, 03:28 PM
No, she's saying that it puts you on the same level as a male dog. Animals are unable to control their urges. People should be able to. Especially anyone that we might elect to a position of power.

Following your logic, we should understand why a President would give away state secrets because he wanted to hump a hot diplomat. After all, he's just following his animal urges and is unable to control them. :rolleyes:

win.

specsaregood
06-24-2009, 03:31 PM

This hasn't killed his career at all. This is a preliminary step FOR the run for the presidency. He knew this skeleton was out there and he decided to kick it out of the closet, repent, "get right with god" and have it be old news a couple years from now when he announces. That's how I see it. Clean out the skeletons ahead of time; before it really matters.

Edit: just to add, I don't like him and don't trust him, but I see this as more evidence that he will be running.

TastyWheat
06-24-2009, 03:31 PM
I have my dark side too, but I don't let that interfere with my work, political activities, or relationships. God forbid we vote for people on the issues rather than character.

dannno
06-24-2009, 03:32 PM
dannno, you obviously don't understand the biblical view of sex/marriage.

One, the wife holding out may be a sin, but it isn't adultery.

I said it was breaking their vows, didn't know it was a sin, too. My point was that MAYBE (pure speculation) she was holding out, sinning AND breaking their vows. If so, then for him to do that isn't a very big deal, especially since he was being discreet and trying to keep the family together.

Two, one spouse cheating does not give the other license to cheat.

I am being attacked cause Sanford was wrong and his wife was right, no matter what. It didn't matter that she broke her vows, because he broke his 'worse' :rolleyes:

JoshLowry
06-24-2009, 03:33 PM
I have my dark side too, but I don't let that interfere with my work, political activities, or relationships. God forbid we vote for people on the issues rather than character.

The character of a person will determine many of the decisions they make.

You can't keep them separated.

LibertyEagle

Uh, character is pretty damn important. It's an indicator, just like their voting record, of whether they can be trusted.

dannno
No, she's saying that it puts you on the same level as a male dog. Animals are unable to control their urges. People should be able to.

WHY should humans go through so much effort to "control" their urges when they don't have to?!

Women are so presumptuous about men's urges it is absolutely amazing.

LibertyEagle
06-24-2009, 03:34 PM
I am being attacked cause Sanford was wrong and his wife was right, no matter what. It didn't matter that she broke her vows, because he broke his 'worse' :rolleyes:

How do you know that she broke her vows? You're just speculating.

moostraks
06-24-2009, 03:35 PM
WHY should humans go through so much effort to "control" their urges when they don't have to?!

Women are so presumptuous about men's urges it is absolutely amazing.

Oh please elaborate...:p

Deborah K
06-24-2009, 03:36 PM

Maybe he was so degraded after the a$$ whoopin he took (with 10 or so of his vetoes being overridden) that he ran to the arms of his lover for comfort not caring about the consequences and assuming that his staff would handle it for him. Even smart men can be real dumbsh&ts at times.

pinkmandy
06-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Okay, think about the original story. He went hiking according to his staff. Then, they found his SUV at the airport. It contained hiking stuff (sleeping bag, clothes, etc.). Then, when asked about the hiking Sanford said he didn't know where his staff got that information. The affair doesn't explain that.

Is it possible he was going hiking but ran into someone else at the airport? And if he went to Argentina, didn't he need his passport? Aren't they chipped? Wouldn't that have been discovered?

Just another discrepancy. There seem to be quite a few of them imo.

dannno
06-24-2009, 03:38 PM

Ya, and I admitted that from the beginning..That was the point, I am speculating, but it's a valid speculation to make because you're saying that no matter what the wife is right when the husband cheats and he's a scumbag. I'm saying there are other situations that could have led to this where he could have potentially been acting in a reasonable manner.. I myself would probably cheat on my wife if we had kids and she were doing that out of spite or some weird thing. It would have to be a long-term trend, but I would have my breaking point. If we didn't have kids then it wouldn't be an issue because I would break up with her. I don't want to be in a one-sided relationship.

tonesforjonesbones
06-24-2009, 03:39 PM
It is VERY suspicious. tones

johnrocks
06-24-2009, 03:42 PM
This cost him votes,imho. I know it cost him mine.

Original_Intent
Ya, and I admitted that from the beginning..That was the point, I am speculating, but it's a valid speculation to make because you're saying that no matter what the wife is right when the husband cheats and he's a scumbag. I'm saying there are other situations that could have led to this where he could have potentially been acting in a reasonable manner.. I myself would probably cheat on my wife if we had kids and she were doing that out of spite or some weird thing. It would have to be a long-term trend, but I would have my breaking point. If we didn't have kids then it wouldn't be an issue because I would break up with her. I don't want to be in a one-sided relationship.

Are you married to your wife or dating her? Pathetic.

LibertyEagle

lol.

No. Regardless of what she was doing, him having sex with another woman was wrong. If she was doing something herself, that would make her wrong too. It wouldn't all of a sudden make him innocent, or make his actions understandable.

Deborah K
06-24-2009, 03:44 PM

Is this an excuse for breaking vows? Husbands take vows. Governors take vows. Why take a vow if your desire to follow your instincts is going to override it anyway?

What separates us from the animal kingdom is that fact that we have the ability to rise above our primal instincts for the sake of honor.

I disagree with you. It is weak to give in to our instincts when to do so, dishonors us or others. The strength to control our selfish desires, when we are feeling vulnerable is part of what makes humanity so special.

specsaregood
06-24-2009, 03:46 PM
This cost him votes,imho. I know it cost him mine.

You say that now; but just wait until you see the douchebags he is up against. This little affair will be old news and minor in comparison to the others' faults.

Deborah K
06-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Okay, think about the original story. He went hiking according to his staff. Then, they found his SUV at the airport. It contained hiking stuff (sleeping bag, clothes, etc.). Then, when asked about the hiking Sanford said he didn't know where his staff got that information. The affair doesn't explain that.

Is it possible he was going hiking but ran into someone else at the airport? And if he went to Argentina, didn't he need his passport? Aren't they chipped? Wouldn't that have been discovered?

There will be until all the "facts" come to light.

johnrocks
06-24-2009, 03:50 PM
You say that now; but just wait until you see the douchebags he is up against. This little affair will be old news and minor in comparison to the others' faults.

You may be right,it is 3 years away but this one stings for me, I really liked Sanford, I think from a pragmatic side,he was one who could bring a lot of us on the right together, he isn't the whole package like RP but he's just "imperfect" enough to get others on board,imho, I do think this is a huge blow though,time will tell,we shall see.

Chieftain1776
Here's my conspiracy theory: He has a love-child with that woman in Argentina and was spending "Father's Day" with his "other family".

Why do it specifically on Father's Day weekend of all the times... with his wife knowing?

Also, while I'm speculating, why did she put up with it? Maybe she did something herself and was letting him have his fling, or knew about the love child and let it go, or just plain accepted it.

Anyway he's shown in his press conference that he would have probably messed up in a role of "spokesman" for liberty. What idiot would go on and on about "sparks" with his mistress to the public while confessing to having an affair on Father's Day weekend?

LittleLightShining
It's a personal thing.

He was a war hawk anyway, so no biggie.Holy moly, dannno... I'm at a loss. Um, yes. It does show a lack of character. IF this is true, and I have my suspicions, it certainly shows a lack of character strong libido notwithstanding.

I think we Americans are going to have to form the new: TEA PARTY, because the Republican party is Dead with all this crap over the past 10 years. There's a lot more to this statement than most people would think.

I think there's more to this story than an affair (which he could have on any business trip, no need to disappear all of a sudden after all the political ruckus he was involved in). Seems to me that there was some MSM (TPTB?) panic when he couldn't be found. This all seems so contrived to me. Kind of like the Spitzer ordeal.I agree.

"I wanted to do something exotic," Sanford explained earlier

I guess this takes on another meaning.Something about that statement struck me, too.

Of course it demonstrates a lack of character!!!:rolleyes:

See! Even Carole says so (and I have the utmost respect for Carole)!

<snip>

IN any case, I never bought this guy's devotion to the liberty movement. No anti-war, anti-statist, pro-market libertarian would pander to creeps like Newt Gingrich.Exactly! IF this story is the true one.

Or here he comes.

(Newt Gingrich) I hate to say it but Newt is riding that Tea Party train as far as it will take him.

I hope you're right. I've been quite depressed about the future of the country lately, and Sanford was my one bright spot.

This really hurt my spirit.Something about Sanford never sat right with me. I liked his chutzpah with the stimulus funds but... I don't know.

Cue the Gary Johnson worship in 5...4...3...2..Yay! Gary Johnson ftw! He's been my favorite contender for 2012.

No, he was hiding from everyone intentionally and the MSM took notice and made this a story. He didn't want to be found. I just can't believe he committed political suicide, knowingly, to go spend a week w/a woman when he could have done that w/out raising any suspicion whatsoever. The events portrayed don't make sense for a man aspiring to be President. He's smarter than that.I think you're probably on the right path here. Something stinks.

I think this is political. Whatever it is. I think we'll see more 'leaks' coming out in the days and weeks to come, though.However much I'd like to think this is true, I still don't trust him enough to think he really is a good guy and not some kind of controlled opposition. But maybe he is and maybe he wiggled out of the leash for a few days... we'll see. But we should really be making sure to pay attention to the other stuff that's happening in the meantime. We have 40 days til Iran explodes which is likely going to provide cover for something else...

UtahApocalypse
06-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Out of the running. Serious has nothing to do with it, but MANY people in America are very Religious and will not vote him now.

we don't need someone that just us Liberty minded people will vote for but someone that can get the populous to vote as well. Sanford just lost that.

specsaregood
06-24-2009, 03:57 PM
You may be right,it is 3 years away but this one stings for me, I really liked Sanford, I think from a pragmatic side,he was one who could bring a lot of us on the right together, he isn't the whole package like RP but he's just "imperfect" enough to get others on board,imho, I do think this is a huge blow though,time will tell,we shall see.

Well you should be "happy" I guess. I stand by my assessment that this was an act of cleaning out the skeletons in the closet in preparation for a presidential run in a couple years. Hell, he probably was really holed up with a bunch of campaign-advisors over the weekend stategizing and this was one thing they decided upon doing.

And, it isn't like the last Republican nominee for president hadn't had at least one well publicized affair.

dannno
06-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Oh please elaborate...:p

Ok.

Well first of all they're all different, it is measured by the term "libido", and there are good, bad, ugly, sexy, upstanding, moral, nasty, good hearts, bad hearts, moral and immoral men (and women) who have both very high and very low libidos.

That is why it's bad to judge people based on their sexual activities, and that is, according to Christianity, why Jesus came. Because everybody is imperfect, and everybody has different desires for different things at different levels. Personally, I don't think having sex is inherently bad or immoral. It certainly can turn into that, because you can really hurt someone when you lie. But sex doesn't always lead to hurt feelings, it's a beautiful thing and a fun activity. I see no reason why it is inherently bad.

People who are born with insatiable libidos crave sex as much as a fat person who hasn't eaten in 12 hours or more craves a buffet. Ever been in a restaurant and can barely read the menu and can't think straight you're so hungry?? Imagine having other things that give you that same sort of craving. So yes, sometimes it really DOES feel like you're going to die if you don't have sex, at least for some people. The brain puts out the same sort of chemicals that makes you feel exactly the same way, so that you think you need to have sex to survive. It's a trick your brain plays and it's not fun.

The male/female break-down I insinuated in the first post is false, but there are probably 3-10 times as many insatiable men as there are women, so women just call those freaks sluts and don't give it a second thought. Men, on the other hand, are a bit more understanding because there are more who have very high libidos. I'd also say that a woman necessitates a higher libido, relatively to a man, in order to "require" sex. That's related to a biological function...however there are some women who require sex and some men that don't (Abstinent men, Priests who don't have sex, etc..)

Chieftain1776
06-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Oh I should add that I've been following him on Twitter. So he's made some tweets in the past few days from Argentina. Hopefully he didn't pull a Clinton and tweet while er... he was otherwise engaged.

Also I've been watching his follower count, expecting it to go down, but there's like a hundred more followers over the past few hours.

O tempora O mores! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_tempora_o_mores!)

pinkmandy
06-24-2009, 04:05 PM

I was just thinking...why didn't he call at least? From the plane or something- even he didn't tell the truth (because he was having an affair) it seems he would have called and made up something? Once he was away from his staff, to cover his ass? Is it possible that maybe he wasn't allowed to make a call? Or did he fear being found? But if he feared being found, then why would he think anyone would be trying to locate him if he was just going on a trip to get away?

This whole story makes no sense.

runningdiz
06-24-2009, 04:06 PM

I do believe in a post yesterday you said he was gay and having a gay affair....

0zzy
06-24-2009, 04:18 PM
You guys crack me up.

Though this news is totally shocking to me. I go to the forums and go WTF! IS THIS TRUE?

Crazy stuff, crazy stuff... why did he admit it btw? His wife knew, who else? Why'd he go public? :\ I still like the guy, policy wise, but there goes his chances.

silverhawks
06-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Sanford is a NEO-CON.

That said, he just opened up the field for a Gingrich/Romney ticket in 2012, imo, rather than the more obvious Gingrich/Sanford ticket. And this ticket will be promoted as the saving grace of conservatism by Glenn Beck and Fox News, neatly complying with all of Beck's "principles and values". Wait and see.

specsaregood
06-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Sanford is a NEO-CON.

That said, he just opened up the field for a Gingrich/Romney ticket in 2012, imo, rather than the more obvious Gingrich/Sanford ticket. And this ticket will be promoted as the saving grace of conservatism by Glenn Beck and Fox News, neatly complying with all of Beck's "principles and values". Wait and see.

Gingrich, another Republican that has admitted to having an extra-marital affair, and 3 marriages. Further proof that having an affair does little to harm one's political aspirations.

In 1981, six months after his divorce was final, Gingrich wed Marianne Ginther.[32] He remained married to Ginther until 2000, when they divorced. Shortly thereafter, Gingrich then married Callista Bisek, with whom he was conducting an extra-marital affair at approximately the same time he was leading the Congressional investigation into allegations that Bill Clinton lied under oath about his affair with Monica Lewinsky.[33]

Chieftain1776
06-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Gingrich, another Republican that has admitted to having an extra-marital affair, and 3 marriages. Further proof that having an affair does little to harm one's political aspirations.

Yeah ironically though I think a staunch libertarian would catch more grief from the media than someone like Newt. I really think the media hates libertarians more than neo-cons. They can call Neocons hypocrites for "wanting government in the bedroom but not the boardroom" and involved in foreign wars. They can't do that to libertarians but probably would give more time and effort to such a story just to make them look bad.

If you've ever seen the left wing response to libertarians in the blogosphere you'd see what I mean.

Chieftain1776
06-24-2009, 04:44 PM
The emails have come out. No love-child mentioned...yet.

http://www.thestate.com/803/story/839350.html

A sample:

“As I told you I shouldn't have done this trip but I would have felt worst if I wouldn't have come because it was too over the date, he is a very nice guy, great heart ... but unfortunately I am not in love with him ... You are my love ... something hard to believe even for myself as it's also a kind of impossible love, not only because of distance but situation. Sometimes you don't choose things, they just happen... I can't redirect my feelings and I am very happy with mine towards you.”

Bruno
06-24-2009, 04:54 PM
I'd vote for a cheater (just wouldn't marry one) but not a Bilderberger. Looks like he's both.

HOLLYWOOD
06-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Big news in Argentina too...

You can watch the news on these stations:

[/URL][URL]http://delicast.com/tv/Argentina/TN24Horas (http://delicast.com/tv/Argentina/TN24Horas)

paulitics
06-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Something stinks about this, and that is the media's behavior leading up to this event. This type of thing should have not been any kind of news story, yet it was featured on primetime news yesterday. I mean why would they all of a sudden, become investigative reporters hunting for a scandal. Politicians leave all the time, and give excuses that are sometimes a lie.
Sanford is a typical politician, he isn't a saint. I always knew that. He is too much of a phony to get my vote for president, but I don't see why he should step down from his position as Governor.

Flash
06-24-2009, 05:12 PM
I said a while ago I didn't like him for attending the Bilderberg group, but I was called a conspiracy nut. Same thing our opponents call us.

anaconda
06-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Still seems weird that he ducked out for 4 days. Most politicians that have affairs don't disappear for several days before the announcement. Something is fishy here. I suspect dirty pool and foul play. I don't give a shit if a politician cheats on their spouse. That's personal stuff.

dannno
06-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Something is fishy here. I suspect dirty pool and foul play. I don't give a shit if a politician cheats on their spouse. That's personal stuff.

Yep I agree with all those. I've been focusing on the affair itself, but thought I'd solidify my position on the shiftiness of the situation as a whole.

Chieftain1776
06-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Pretty good article with a mention of the Ron Paul Movement by neo-con Reihan Salam "We'll Miss Mark Sanford" http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-06-24/well-miss-mark-sanford/

RevolutionSD
06-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Sanford is a politician, aka authoritarian sociopath. Cheating on his wife is certainly not the worst thing he's done.

Heata
06-24-2009, 06:38 PM
I have to agree that the entire thing sounds fishy.

But..

I really don't care that much about all of this. If a clue was to come out about someone blackmailig him, then the situation becomes interesting. Call me when that happens.

pacelli
06-24-2009, 06:47 PM

Wondering the same thing myself.

Cowlesy
06-24-2009, 07:14 PM

This really hurt my spirit.

This.

What a metaphorical kick in the nuts.

Damn you Sanford.

writeoff.

Peace&Freedom
06-24-2009, 09:06 PM
When I first heard Sanford was missing for 5 days, I thought about GW Bush going missing for several days during the middle of the primary season campaigning in '99 and thought, "uh oh, the Bilderberg masters may have had him do some killing, to make him a made man." Confessing to an affair may give him time to recover in time to run in '12 anyway.

"If your wife can't trust you, why should I?" is as true today as it was when Perot said it 17 years ago. A marraige vow is part of a religious rite of marraige, where one is first and foremost making a promise to GOD to be faithful to their spouse. The personal promise made between the spouses is a secondary matter compared to the divine vow. Sanford's lapse of character is due to his lying to GOD, not just his wife and family. He is as much a fraud as Slick Willie was and is, and some of us have the same standard now as in '92 when it comes to rejecting pols who are adulterers.

What a train wreck the GOP has become. GHW Bush crippled the party, GW Bush and the neocons killed it, and the Ensigns, Sanfords and Palins are cremating the corpse. The ONLY hope left for the republic is the success of the Revolution in replacing a personally and publically corrupt political establishment.

max
06-24-2009, 09:13 PM
" He is as much a fraud as Slick Willie was and is, and s[B]ome of us have the same standard now as in '92 when it comes to rejecting pols who are adulterers.

HOW FAR WE HAVE FALLEN....

Remember 1988 when Gary Hart was found cheating.

It was GAME OVER! 1988 wasn't exactly the Victorian Era, yet an adultere could not win an election in America.

Today, adulterers are the "front runners"

Rudy Giuliani
John McCain
Barack Obama (bi-sexual adulterer)
Sarah Palin (she cheated with husbands business partner)
Hilary ( another bi-sexual, also had affiar with the murdered Vince Foster)
John Edwards

et al.

There is this Congressman in Texas howvere who has been married and faithful for 50 years....ya think the GOP would give him a look????

Andrew-Austin
06-24-2009, 09:51 PM
I don't think if a man cheats on his girl he is inherently distrustful as a political. I mean I distrust all politicians anyways, but for different reasons, and if I were to judge a politician on this one issue the meat for me would be in the details of the matter.. Let me explain, before someone flames me, well its likely I'll be flamed anyways..

I don't view marriage as holy, and there are a multitude of reasons a marriage/relationship can disintegrate. I am the son of a man who cheated on his wife and plotted behind her back (I'll be vague and leave it at that), so I'm not exactly biased in the favor of the male's perspective. But hypothetically if a relationship withers away over time, it is not evident that a man ascribes as much value to said relationship as he does to his political philosophy. So say if a man were a consistent and good Constitutionalist who happened to cheat on his wife, it is not necessarily true to say that he is just as likely to betray his oath to the Constitution as he was to betray his wife. What would count to me is how the relationship was ended, and for what reasons. If his wife was a real bitch in character and attitude, and their relationship eroded due to multiple reasons, and he was relatively upfront about it, I would not not vote for him just on that information alone. But say if his wife were pretty good to him, and she did in fact mean a lot to him, and he still cheated, that might be a pretty good reason to distrust and not vote for him.

To clarify a bit, I'm saying that cheating in a relationship can be considered a sign that one is not likely to uphold his political promises, but I would personally look more closely in to the details of the matter. This is not to say that I think cheating is okay, and personally I would be upfront about the disintegration of a relationship, but I'm saying in certain cases I could excuse it in others.

JeNNiF00F00
06-24-2009, 10:14 PM

lol have you seen his wife? :X

speciallyblend
06-24-2009, 10:15 PM
I don't think if a man cheats on his girl he is inherently distrustful as a political. I mean I distrust all politicians anyways, but for different reasons, and if I were to judge a politician on this one issue the meat for me would be in the details of the matter.. Let me explain, before someone flames me, well its likely I'll be flamed anyways..

I don't view marriage as holy, and there are a multitude of reasons a marriage/relationship can disintegrate. I am the son of a man who cheated on his wife and plotted behind her back (I'll be vague and leave it at that), so I'm not exactly biased in the favor of the male's perspective. But hypothetically if a relationship withers away over time, it is not evident that a man ascribes as much value to said relationship as he does to his political philosophy. So say if a man were a consistent and good Constitutionalist who happened to cheat on his wife, it is not necessarily true to say that he is just as likely to betray his oath to the Constitution as he was to betray his wife. What would count to me is how the relationship was ended, and for what reasons. If his wife was a real bitch in character and attitude, and their relationship eroded due to multiple reasons, and he was relatively upfront about it, I would not not vote for him just on that information alone. But say if his wife were pretty good to him, and she did in fact mean a lot to him, and he still cheated, that might be a pretty good reason to distrust and not vote for him.

To clarify a bit, I'm saying that cheating in a relationship can be considered a sign that one is not likely to uphold his political promises, but I would personally look more closely in to the details of the matter. This is not to say that I think cheating is okay, and personally I would be upfront about the disintegration of a relationship, but I'm saying in certain cases I could excuse it in others.

unless it was your wife . he was having affair with;) always easy if it doesn't involve you . but if it did. hmmmm wonder what you would do then?? i bet you would do more then not vote for him;)

sanford held the moral torch for sure.so he should feel the moral hammer and resign. sanford is nothing more then a lying hypocrite! he kinda sounds like your typical right-wing neo-con republican! basically full of crap!

Dianne
06-24-2009, 10:19 PM
As Judge Judy would say "If it doesn't make sense, it didn't happen!!!!" This entire incident and high profile government owned media coverage stinks to me. The governor refuses bail-out money, challenges the Commander and Thieves in the Senate.... and then.... oh think it.... the man disappears with some ho in Argentina, lmao.

As God is my witness, my first thought when I heard the breaking news on CNN today and their unbelievable coverage of the story was............. The Feds told the governor, you confess to some kind of crap you didn't do or elseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee........

The entire incident smells totally rotten. And the 24/7 media coverage by the government owned CNN, MSNBC, et al.. should give all pause to believe these charges are a form of government blackmail or threats to do harm to the govenor or his family for embarrassing the omnipotent one. Believe me, if the national media covers the story.... then it is a government promoted story.

Sorry if I offend anyone, but there is definitely something wrong with this media event.

Andrew-Austin
06-24-2009, 10:20 PM
unless it was your wife . he was having affair with;) always easy if it doesn't involve you . but if it did. hmmmm wonder what you would do then?? i bet you would do more then not vote for him;)

sanford held the moral torch for sure.so he should feel the moral hammer and resign. sanford is nothing more then a lying hypocrite!

I already cited an example of cheating that did in fact involve me.

And I'm definitely not trying to defend Sanford, I never cared for him anyways.

speciallyblend
06-24-2009, 10:20 PM
lol have you seen his wife? :X

well once you have 4 kids i would love to see your pic;) just saying! and been drilled by sanford for that many years . 4 kids and sanford you would look worn and torn to;)

speciallyblend
06-24-2009, 10:22 PM
I already cited an example of cheating that did in fact involve me.

And I'm definitely not trying to defend Sanford, I never cared for him anyways.

i was just commenting,not judging you;) nothing was directed at you. i was just saying what if;)

speciallyblend
06-24-2009, 10:26 PM
As Judge Judy would say "If it doesn't make sense, it didn't happen!!!!" This entire incident and high profile government owned media coverage stinks to me. The governor refuses bail-out money, challenges the Commander and Thieves in the Senate.... and then.... oh think it.... the man disappears with some ho in Argentina, lmao.

As God is my witness, my first thought when I heard the breaking news on CNN today and their unbelievable coverage of the story was............. The Feds told the governor, you confess to some kind of crap you didn't do or elseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee........

The entire incident smells totally rotten. And the 24/7 media coverage by the government owned CNN, MSNBC, et al.. should give all pause to believe these charges are a form of government blackmail or threats to do harm to the govenor or his family for embarrassing the omnipotent one. Believe me, if the national media covers the story.... then it is a government promoted story.

Sorry if I offend anyone, but there is definitely something wrong with this media event.

huh? the media didn't fly out of country. the media didn't write the emails. the bottom line all this falls on Sanford not the media! Sanford is the liar here not the media!

the problem is not the media. it is Sanford. the media wasn't drilling the Argentina woman, Sanford was. unless she is having affairs with all the media reporters to?

republicans want to blame everyone but the person who caused the problem. the media didn't fly to Argentina. the media didn't lie. the governors office did and the wife mislead the media and Marc Sanford is to blame,no one else. hey lets blame obama for Sanford screwing a south American! let me guess obama caused the money to devalue,so Sanford couldn't afford an escort,so he flew to Argentina aka it is now obamas fault!

sanford is the one that wanted a career in politics. he invited the media into his life by becoming a figure and some what of a rising star .that just crashed and burned! the media has everyright to call the joke of a governor out. it is what the media lives for sex scandals! i want to know who the wife was bopping while sanford was going south of the border;) any pool boys? sextoy parties with the ladies in the hood?

Andrew-Austin
06-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Its not blackmail if they just publish the story instead of hanging it over his head.

And if they are just trying to make shit up about him to ruin his political aspirations, then why would he admit to something he did not do.

LibertyEagle
06-24-2009, 10:35 PM

All he had to do was divorce her, then he could've freely done whatever he wanted.

The point is that he did not.

Tennanja
06-24-2009, 10:41 PM
So this entire thing seems really weird to me. You don't get to be the republican candidate for governor of any state and then get elected by being a moron. There is no good reason why Sanford would screw up by skipping work and Fathers day to go hook up in Argentina. I mean he could have easily waited a week and took a short weekend in Argentina that no one knew about then he wouldn't need to come home and cry on national TV and watch his whole career disintegrate before him. Either he is taking the fall to draw news away from something much more disastrous--probably with the promise of a seat somewhere the voters don't need to OK, or someone is blackmailing him to destroy him before he can begin to mount support for a run at 2012.

You just don't blow off work as a governor-He realized that people would be looking for him, did he really think hiking in appellatia was going to cut it for missing father's day-with him being a family values candidate, he knew that would be one of the days he would be in a strong public spotlight.

Also when was the first time that a politician came home and practically the first words out of his mouth were--I'm being unfaithful to my wife--no they will deny, deny, deny until they are faced with the facts because there is no winning in admitting an affair to the public. Clinton won the favor of men across the nation by denying his lewinsky affair, everyone said they would have done the same and it built a bond, but comeing out and addmitting an affair before your drug out in the public is simply trying to gather the news and squelch something.

amonasro
06-24-2009, 10:52 PM

Judge Judy annoys the hell out of me, but I think she was probably referring to the presence or lack of evidence before making a ruling.

Yup, it stinks alright, but I don't think that he was physically threatened, a la Tom Clancy political thriller plot. Remember real life is not that exciting. I guess we'll never know for sure, but it's foolish to jump to conspiratorial conclusions based on what little concrete evidence we have.

What is clear is the GOP obviously decided to give him the axe, for whatever reason. Probably for not playing along with the establishment and towing party lines. Now is the time that they choose and parade their chosen candidates for 2010 and 2012 on the MSM, so the timing makes sense.

They would have done this to RP in a second if he was not so clean politically and personally. And how they did try. The only thing they found were those old newsletters that were not even written by him, so they were forced to ignore him.

I believe there is conspiracy to the degree that there are certain large corporations, banks and other special interests that need their connections to the government and certain politicians to survive and retain their power structures. They "control" the news to push these candidates to the public and marginalize those who won't serve their interests. But the MSM outlets remain largely independent businesses and function legitimately as well. It's moving in a direction towards more power though, and their lies, deceit and brainwashing become more obvious by the day. That's why young people are so disillusioned. They think we're living in Idiocracy and our country mirrors a South Park episode, or some other form of satire. As someone else mentioned, it wasn't like this 15-20 years ago, or at least not as bad. It's sad.

dgr
06-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Ok latest, wife sent his e-mails to and from lover to the paper months ago, but the paper thought they was fake.
A republican opponent called out the state patrol to find him
The wife threw him out of the house 2 weeks ago and told him not to come back
when your wife and a party member outs you to the press you are more than done for
Well, he went out of the country, which proves no place is safe from a cheating politician
his lover wasn't a man, a teenager, in goverment, or a hooker, and he did have poetic and sensitive, and artisticly descritive e-mails

At this point it looks like only Romey and Huckabee can pass the GOP fidelity test

Brian4Liberty
06-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Ok latest, wife sent his e-mails to and from lover to the paper months ago, but the paper thought they was fake.
A republican opponent called out the state patrol to find him
The wife threw him out of the house 2 weeks ago and told him not to come back
when your wife and a party member outs you to the press you are more than done for.

This part is crucial. His wife (or Mark himself) could have said that they were separated. That answers most questions here. This was not a surprise to his wife.

What is the expectation? What is the rule? The minute a politician separates from his/her spouse they need to put out a press release? Why is this any business of any of us? The press set him up, and shot him down. And who are they to dictate morality or right and wrong?

Pod
06-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Fook him!

american.swan
06-24-2009, 11:36 PM

*flings bra*

News flash: Gary Johnson was caught with a topless supporter....... ;)

dgr
06-25-2009, 12:02 AM
I am a sleez I read the e-mails posted on the papers web site.
HE MADE A BLUNDER OF EPIC PROPORTIONS, he said he didn't need love 15 years ago but does now
now it's one thing to cheat on your wife but another to say you never loved her-- in print and the not hit delete
When you want out of you life get a divorce, if you want out of politics resign,
why self destruct on national TV?/

He's got a better chance of being re elected than reconciled with his wife
why are politicians so DUMB

qh4dotcom
06-25-2009, 01:03 AM
Bump

akihabro
06-25-2009, 01:14 AM
Boring! Can the media talk about more important things than men cheating on their wives?

misterx
06-25-2009, 01:34 AM
Say it ain't so, Joe

RM918
06-25-2009, 02:55 AM
Yeah, they love raining down on Republicans. I wouldn't be surprised if there were people asking whether or not he should be arrested.

newbitech
06-25-2009, 07:08 AM

it never fails does it? I for one will be watching this one closely. Issa seemed to tone down a little on the rhetoric last night on Kudlow. But he still calls it a coverup.

re: Sanford so he's human big deal. BUT that particular human ought to be held to the highest standards for his actions. He is the governor of South Carolina. He left his post to go have sex. What the hell? I am not sure if I accept this as the full reason why he "disappeared".

acptulsa
06-25-2009, 07:16 AM
National Rubric Playdough (sorry, I mean National "Public" Radio) has three or more stories they're juggling on this one topic. Yeah, they love hammering Republicans just as if they're different from Democrats.

I left a comment on one this morning taking our old friend and lousy pollster Ken Rudin to task for equating he and John Edwards with people like Spitzer, Clinton and Vittier who not only broke vows, but laws. I also mentioned that he was still considering our friend the doctor as 'He Who Must Not Be Named', and laughed at him for suggesting Romney still has a chance after laughing at the man who predicted the economic meltdown. I apologize to those other people who had left comments on that as well--they just rearranged all their stories on the subject and tossed the whole thread of comments... :rolleyes:

LibertyEagle
06-25-2009, 07:28 AM
:D

acptulsa
06-25-2009, 07:52 AM
Oops. I found where they moved it:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/politicaljunkie/2009/06/comments/sanford_just_the_latest_sex_sc.html

Not where I left it, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see it ain't gone yet.

Dianne
06-25-2009, 08:24 AM
There is far more Sanford affair media coverage then Edwards and Edwards was a Presidential candidate with a terminally ill wife who came out and lied; just like Bill Clinton.

I am questioning if Sanford is really that much of a dope to be using taxpayer money for his Argentina flings? Do you guys think the man is really that dumb?

Possibly he knew his wife was going to "rat" him out, and decided to confess first. But media already looking for his replacement, lol.

steph3n
06-25-2009, 08:25 AM
There is far more Sanford affair media coverage then Edwards and Edwards was a Presidential candidate with a terminally ill wife who came out and lied; just like Bill Clinton.

I am questioning if Sanford is really that much of a dope to be using taxpayer money for his Argentina flings? Do you guys think the man is really that dumb?

Possibly he knew his wife was going to "rat" him out, and decided to confess first. But media already looking for his replacement, lol.

they are claiming he used taxpayer money, but it was on another trip where they just stopped in EZE. He said yesterday he used his own funds to go.

Kraig
06-25-2009, 08:28 AM
He is the governor of South Carolina. He left his post to go have sex. What the hell? I am not sure if I accept this as the full reason why he "disappeared".

So governor's shouldn't be allowed time off if it is used for sex? You think we are really so dependent on them that we cannot afford them to "leave their post"? What damages did SC incur because of his absence?

acptulsa
06-25-2009, 08:34 AM
So governor's shouldn't be allowed time off if it is used for sex? You think we are really so dependent on them that we cannot afford them to "leave their post"? What damages did SC incur because of his absence?

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." -- Will Rogers

No harm at all. Yes, it was probably better off. But when you are the Official Decision Maker and Go-To Guy, you need to transfer power before you disappear off the face of the Earth. The average voter is hearing all this and thinking, gee, I'm glad he didn't have control of the "nuclear football" at the time. That kind of thinking kind of knocks you out of presidential contention.

teamrican1
06-25-2009, 08:45 AM
There seems to be a lot of intolerance in this thread. Harry Browne, one of the great icons of the freedom movement, used to advocate orgies and a concept her referred to as "non-marriage". He looked at love from a rational standpoint, and pointed out that as people grow, they change. You aren't the person you were five years ago and you aren't going to be the same person you are five years hence. The problem with marriage is its inflexibility. A couple should remain together so long as they both love each other. But when that condition changes (as it frequently does) those people should walk away from that relationship, and we should respect that. Gov. Sanford seems to have fallen madly in love with this Argentinian bird. It happens. Either his wife needs to be flexible and allow him the occasional trip down South (which she doesn't seem to want to do) or she needs to ask for a divorce. And we should all let them go through this process in peace.

CJLauderdale4
06-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Absolutely right!
However, Sanford is typically an honest guy, but here's what happens when an honest guy gets confronted (lots of dancing):

http://www.infowars.com/gov-mark-sanford-confronted-on-bilderberg-attendance-and-media-blackout/

If you ask me, the Bilderbergers didn't want a true liberty-speaking official in their clique, nor in power at all, especially with knowledge of what goes on at Bilderberg meetings.

IMO - he was targeted by Bilderbergers, and it was his lust for women they used to target him.

LibertyEagle
06-25-2009, 08:57 AM
There seems to be a lot of intolerance in this thread. Harry Browne, one of the great icons of the freedom movement, used to advocate orgies and a concept her referred to as "non-marriage". He looked at love from a rational standpoint, and pointed out that as people grow, they change. You aren't the person you were five years ago and you aren't going to be the same person you are five years hence. The problem with marriage is its inflexibility. A couple should remain together so long as they both love each other. But when that condition changes (as it frequently does) those people should walk away from that relationship, and we should respect that. Gov. Sanford seems to have fallen madly in love with this Argentinian bird. It happens. Either his wife needs to be flexible and allow him the occasional trip down South (which she doesn't seem to want to do) or she needs to ask for a divorce. And we should all let them go through this process in peace.

So, you're saying that Browne advocated sex outside of the marriage? If that's so, he was a scumbag in that area.

angelatc
06-25-2009, 10:30 AM
So, you're saying that Browne advocated sex outside of the marriage? If that's so, he was a scumbag in that area.

If both parties in the marriage agree to the deal, then it's one thing - not my business.

But trying to persuade young girls that insisting on monogamy is somehow unreasonable is not.

Reason
06-25-2009, 01:22 PM
who cares what he does with his penis???

raiha
06-25-2009, 01:31 PM
who cares what he does with his penis???
+1 zillion.

Unbelievable! The furore about this. People need to mind their own business. We all human. We all make mistakes. We all need to stop casting rocks. We all full of unwholesome aspects. Lucky for the rest of us we are not in the public eye. If we all attended to our own shortcomings and stopped leering at others' the world would be a bit happier.

Brian4Liberty
06-25-2009, 01:42 PM
We all full of unwholesome aspects. Lucky for the rest of us we are not in the public eye.

I agree, I am sick of all of this Sanford bashing.

I am going to go watch a wholesome family program now; maybe Jon and Kate plus Eight... :rolleyes:

TGGRV
06-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Just how Sanford is a scumbag in THIS AREA, right?

Carole
06-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Boring! Can the media talk about more important things than men cheating on their wives?

Yes, they can talk about Michael Jackson dying and Farah Fawcett dying.

Therefore:
May they both rest in peace. I really liked Farrah; she seemed a decent human being. She did a great job in "The Burning Bed".

Michael was weird but talented.

teamrican1
06-25-2009, 07:32 PM

No. Browne argued against state sponsored marriage in the first place. He felt it was a societal "trap" that limited your personal freedom and introduced dangerous legal liabilities. What Mark Sanford is going through right now is a perfect example of Browne's point. If Sanford had entered a "non-marriage" rather than the traditional marriage, the dissolution of his relationship with Jenny Sanford would be a lot less complicated.

haaaylee
06-26-2009, 10:19 AM
"Don't get Outraged at Sanford"

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/06/25/bregman.sanford/