PDA

View Full Version : What Michelle Bachmann Learned from the Ron Paul Revolution

bobbyw24
06-24-2009, 04:53 AM
http://www.takimag.com/article/the_other_michelle/

The Other Michele
Posted by Karen De Coster on June 23, 2009

I’ve come to admire Michele Bachmann, especially since she nailed Timothy Geithner to the wall while repeatedly asking him what provision in the Constitution gave the Treasury Department the authority to manage markets and the financial services industry. On that note, I found this story to be delightful. Try to not laugh at the last paragraph.

Outspoken Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann says she’s so worried that information from next year’s national census will be abused that she will refuse to fill out anything more than the number of people in her household.

In an interview Wednesday morning with The Washington Times’s ‘America’s Morning News,’ Mrs. Bachmann, Minnesota Republican, said the questions have become “very intricate, very personal” and she also fears ACORN, the community organizing group that came under fire for its voter registration efforts last year, will be part of the Census Bureau’s door-to-door information collection efforts.

‘I know for my family the only question we will be answering is how many people are in our home,” she said. “We won’t be answering any information beyond that, because the Constitution doesn’t require any information beyond that.’

Shelly Lowe, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Census Bureau, said Mrs. Bachmann is ‘misreading’ the law.

This is a plucky move by Bachmann. The census is a critical pet project for the Obama administration, and forcing people to accept it at face value, without reservation, is important for maintaining eternal citizen obedience to this invasive and unconstitutional endeavor.

Now, before you write me and say, “Ms. DeCoster, those Republicans .... where were they when? ..... how can you? ... don’t you know that?...” forget it, don’t write me and bring that up. I know all that and have written about it elsewhere. Yes, I know that most of the Republicrats didn’t give a tinker’s damn about reckless assaults on liberty while their guy was heading up the plunder party. But Michele Bachmann, like a few others in Congress, has received an education in liberty courtesy of the Ron Paul Revolution. Moreover, educating (and radicalizing) those who have the political power to screw up our lives has been a big part of the Revolution’s success.

We should be delighted each time Republicans sound like libertarians and we should welcome these pivotal moments. We have to keep on pushing the enlightenment process forward. Understand that the election of an arrogant, power-hungry Marxist (who happens to be a Democrat, thereby pissing off the Republicans) is a significant opportunity for us to move in and educate angry conservatives, especially those who are seated closer to the margins. The fact that the Republicans are sounding like classical liberals or libertarians so that they have ammunition to counter the Obama strategy is not a bad thing.

Look at Ron Paul’s HR 1207 bill, the Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2009. He started with no co-sponsors, the list built slowly, and then it picked up steam until over half of the House of Representatives came to co-sponsor it. Michele Bachmann was an early supporter of that bill, and she has been marvelous on many occasions. I am hoping that she, and others like her, will continue to move forward on many issues critical to the anti-state movement. If we can capitalize on Republican resentment over the Obama regime and its war on freedom and free markets, we need to do it, and as often as we can. Along the way, we should welcome those Republicans who are having a change of heart and supporting Ron Paul’s ideas and his vision. We should even welcome Rush Limbaugh’s occasional lapse into quasi-libertarian belligerence, if it serves to spark further skepticism from his android listeners.

Be mindful that Bachmann is actually intelligent, unlike Sarah Palin, who is a trained monkey and came out of nowhere, thanks to her gender, sprightly sparkle, and the problems with McCain’s uninspiring, snooze-a-rama campaign. Bachmann is also articulate and pretty—which is never detrimental to a woman in politics—and comes across as steady and confident. The attribute of hers that gives me hope is her tendency to reveal recurring signs of un-Republican-like behavior. Questioning the constitutionality of the census and making Timothy Geithner stutter like a pickled parrot are just a couple of strong points in her favor.

Actions in Bachmann’s favor are that she voted against the Wall Street bailouts, opposed the auto industry bailout, questioned Bush’s plan to increase troops in Iraq, opposed greater subsidization of student loans, opposed light bulb tyranny, correctly blamed Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac for their part in the economic meltdown, opposes a one-world currency, has spoken out against mandatory government service, and isn’t fooled by the political agenda of the global warming alarmists. Bachmann also understands how Warren G. Harding’s lack of economic intervention in the 1920-21 Depression allowed the economy to rebound quickly (she’s been paying attention to Tom Woods). She has even spoken about the roles of Hoover, FDR, and the Smoot-Hawley tariff in magnifying the Great Depression, in spite of mixing up some of those facts along the way.

Without question, there are many concerns swirling around Bachmann, such as the fact that she comes from a Christian fundamentalist background and has, in spurts, shown support for the Iraq war and large-scale aggression in the Middle East. She also speaks too much about “anti-Americanism.” However, along those same lines, when Bachmann went on MSNBC’s Hardball and said that members of Congress should be “investigated” for anti-American views, perhaps the response from her five democratic colleagues in the Minnesota House delegation was even worse than her own conduct. Those democrats issued a statement that said, “For Michele Bachmann to go on national television and say that members of Congress should be investigated for ‘anti-American views’ calls into her judgment and her ability to work in a bipartisan way to put the interests of our country first in this time of crisis” [emphasis mine]. To the contrary, her ability to remain independent, and her refusal to follow behind the (bi-)partisan pack, is one of Michele’s great strengths.

Sure, Bachmann’s fundamentalism might presents some problems, and it’s unlikely to change; however, considering we’re facing Obama fast-paced socialization of the country, we should welcome combatants like Michele Bachmann who are willing to step up and challenge the regime on some pivotal issues.

Bachmann regularly attends Ron Paul’s Washington lunches where a small, informal group gathers to hear a variety of radical speakers—such as Tom Woods and James Bovard—who are hand-selected by Ron Paul. She’s read Meltdown, the book by Tom Woods, which succinctly explains the economic collapse from an “Austrian” perspective (and doesn’t blame the whole thing on “greed” or “deregulation”). And according to Woods:
I had a feeling she’d have some interest in the book ... because she asked some good questions. She was taking notes. She was asking if this or that point could be found in the book. I thought I recognized a sincere person who wanted knowledge, not the usual politician who couldn’t care less about what the truth is and just wanted to propagandize.

I’d like to see Bachmann continue along her path, learning from Ron Paul and finding her rebel roots. And she appears to be educable! Which is more than you can say for most everyone else in Congress. And she’s not afraid to stand in the firing line on her own. Let’s watch this lady carefully over the next couple of years. There may be many more bright moments.

Ron Paul, who’s long been a man on a lone crusade, needs all the assistance he can get on the House floor. With all the controversy being created by the hubristic Thief-in-Chief, there’s a bustling market for rebellion, and Ron Paul’s Revolution is just now rolling into prime time.
Article URL: http://www.takimag.com/site/article/the_other_michelle/

Cowlesy
06-24-2009, 05:01 AM
Great article from Karen de Coster!

LibertyEagle
06-24-2009, 05:04 AM
Cool. :)

nobody's_hero
06-24-2009, 05:05 AM
I think she is waking up. Sometimes I get a vibe that she kind of plays into the us vs. them mentality when there are plenty of republicans who are just as guilty of liberty-erosion as the democrats. But, if she hangs around Dr. Paul enough, who knows how far the revolution of the mind may take her?

Epic
06-24-2009, 05:54 AM
As long as people I trust have her ear, she's OK.

Cowlesy
06-24-2009, 10:13 AM
As long as people I trust have her ear, she's OK.

Yeah it was heartening to hear Tom Woods report that she was taking notes and reading his book unlike a lot of critters who think they know everything already.

georgiaboy
06-24-2009, 10:24 AM
promising indeed. It'd do well for us to drop her a note of thanks for the things she's supported in defense of constitutional gov't.

Regarding her faith, let's not forget that our own Ron Paul is a pro-life Christian as well.

libertarian4321
06-24-2009, 11:15 AM
She sometimes says the right things. She's also a loose cannon who has said some pretty stupid things- from support for the war in Iraq to her McCarthyesque calls for tests of "Americanism" to her apparent belief that Christian fundamentalism has a place in government.

She's no Ron Paul- she doesn't have the measured, patient, intellectual approach that Dr. Paul has. He may get her to vote the right way most of the time in Congress, but that's about all we can hope for.

The fact that she was heavily supported by George W. Bush, Karl Rove, and Dick Cheney is also more than a bit disconcerting.

She's gone as far as she's going to go in politics. Her future more likely lies in becoming a "bomb thrower" type talking head on Fox News- a brunette Anne Coulter type.

LibertyEagle
06-24-2009, 11:18 AM
He may get her to vote the right way most of the time in Congress, but that's about all we can hope for.

I'd say that would be pretty damn wonderful!

She's attending Paul's meetings; she's open to his ideas. Thomas Woods has even said that. Geez. Does someone have to be perfection in motion before we cut them some slack?

libertarian4321
06-24-2009, 11:23 AM
promising indeed. It'd do well for us to drop her a note of thanks for the things she's supported in defense of constitutional gov't.

Regarding her faith, let's not forget that our own Ron Paul is a pro-life Christian as well.

There is a difference. Dr. Paul doesn't let his personal religious convictions override his judgment when it comes to doing his job as a Representative. The same can't be said of Ms. Bachmann.

libertarian4321
06-24-2009, 11:31 AM
She's attending Paul's meetings; she's open to his ideas. Thomas Woods has even said that. Geez. Does someone have to be perfection in motion before we cut them some slack?

No, I don't expect perfection, but she's far from it.

I know Ron Paul, Ron Paul is a friend of mine, and Ms. Bachmann is no Ron Paul (Okay, I sort of stole that from Lloyd Bentsen :).

Not even close.

If she can be persuaded to vote the right way at times, that's great, but this is not the kind of person we need to be supporting.

LibertyEagle
06-24-2009, 11:35 AM
No, I don't expect perfection, but she's far from it.

I know Ron Paul, Ron Paul is a friend of mine, and Ms. Bachmann is no Ron Paul (Okay, I sort of stole that from Lloyd Bentsen :).

Not even close.

If she can be persuaded to vote the right way at times, that's great, but this is not the kind of person we need to be supporting.

If you're waiting for another Ron Paul, you're going to be waiting a very long time. And who said we were "supporting" her? It's like you think that we're going to have a money bomb for her or something. What's wrong with liking some of what we're seeing and being glad she's open to learning more? That doesn't sound like someone I want to pin as my enemy.

Note: If I remember correctly, you yourself had a lapse of judgment and you and your wife voted for OBAMA. Isn't that right?

Mahkato
06-24-2009, 11:36 AM
The biggest advantage is that she has the respect of a great many non-liberty Republicans. When she talks, Republicans listen. If she talks liberty, that's good for liberty in the GOP.

libertarian4321
06-24-2009, 12:00 PM
If you're waiting for another Ron Paul, you're going to be waiting a very long time. And who said we were "supporting" her? It's like you think that we're going to have a money bomb for her or something. What's wrong with liking some of what we're seeing and being glad she's open to learning more? That doesn't sound like someone I want to pin as my enemy.

Note: If I remember correctly, you yourself had a lapse of judgment and you and your wife voted for OBAMA. Isn't that right?

No, I didn't have a lapse in judgment. I explained my rationale both in the forums and in the chat room.

It felt good to say "screw you!" to McCain, Palin, Bush and the other neocons- I don't regret it one bit. The Republicans needed to be crushed in '08. It was the only way they would ever change their big spending, big government, neocon ways (as well as the general tone of douchebaggery that they'd adopted in that campaign). My vote helped send a message to the Republicans that they need to change or die- and I think there is a chance that it might work.

Glad to hear you weren't thinking of a money bomb- from the tone of the article and some of the comments, I thought people were going to start hopping on the Bachmann band wagon.

LibertyEagle
06-24-2009, 12:02 PM
You get more of what you subsidize, libertarian4321, and you subsidized a Marxist named Obama.

libertarian4321
06-24-2009, 12:18 PM
You get more of what you subsidize, libertarian4321, and you subsidized a Marxist named Obama.

To subsidize is to make a financial contribution.

I subsidized Ron Paul, as did my wife.

Therefore, if your theory is correct, Ron Paul is President!

Damn it, why were we not invited to the inaugural?

LibertyEagle
06-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Fair enough. You will however get more of what you vote for.

libertarian4321
06-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Fair enough. You will however get more of what you vote for.

But I voted for Ron Paul, too and McCain got the nomination!

What's up with that?

Feenix566
06-24-2009, 01:13 PM
She sometimes says the right things. She's also a loose cannon who has said some pretty stupid things- from support for the war in Iraq to her McCarthyesque calls for tests of "Americanism" to her apparent belief that Christian fundamentalism has a place in government.

She's no Ron Paul- she doesn't have the measured, patient, intellectual approach that Dr. Paul has. He may get her to vote the right way most of the time in Congress, but that's about all we can hope for.

The fact that she was heavily supported by George W. Bush, Karl Rove, and Dick Cheney is also more than a bit disconcerting.

She's gone as far as she's going to go in politics. Her future more likely lies in becoming a "bomb thrower" type talking head on Fox News- a brunette Anne Coulter type.

There's always one.

Holy frickin' crap, man. (or woman) Get over it. Michelle Bachman is helping our cause. Stop bitching about it.

LibertyEagle
06-24-2009, 01:17 PM
But I voted for Ron Paul, too and McCain got the nomination!

If you're wanting immediate gratification, you need to find a new interest.

What's up with that?

What's up seems to be that you threw in the towel and voted for a Marxist. What's more, you seem to be proud of it. :confused:

georgiaboy
06-24-2009, 01:36 PM
There is a difference. Dr. Paul doesn't let his personal religious convictions override his judgment when it comes to doing his job as a Representative. The same can't be said of Ms. Bachmann.

You'll have to explain this further.

I think RP's personal religious convictions inform his decision-making better than anyone else in government that I see. Christians & non-Christians alike could take a lesson in living out one's faith by watching how RP's actions match his words.

libertarian4321
06-24-2009, 01:36 PM
If you're wanting immediate gratification, you need to find a new interest.

Well, you said that I'd get what I subsidized. I subsidized Ron Paul.

Then you said I'd get what I voted for, and I voted for Ron Paul.

Hence, you are 0 for 2 on your theories.

What's up seems to be that you threw in the towel and voted for a Marxist. What's more, you seem to be proud of it. :confused:

It was clear to me early on that you were either incapable of following my line of thinking or were being obtuse.

Now I know which it was.

LibertyEagle
06-24-2009, 01:37 PM
lol.

You're the one who voted for Obama. Not I.

georgiaboy
06-24-2009, 01:39 PM
No, I didn't have a lapse in judgment. I explained my rationale both in the forums and in the chat room.

It felt good to say "screw you!" to McCain, Palin, Bush and the other neocons- I don't regret it one bit. The Republicans needed to be crushed in '08. It was the only way they would ever change their big spending, big government, neocon ways (as well as the general tone of douchebaggery that they'd adopted in that campaign). My vote helped send a message to the Republicans that they need to change or die- and I think there is a chance that it might work.

Thank you. I needed a new definition for the term "rationalization".

unreal. i'm gonna go puke now.

libertarian4321
06-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Thank you. I needed a new definition for the term "rationalization".

unreal. i'm gonna go puke now.

Just don't recycle it.

Mahkato
06-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Voting for a Democrat to send a message to Republicans is like shopping at Target to send a message to Toyota.

libertarian4321
06-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Voting for a Democrat to send a message to Republicans is like shopping at Target to send a message to Toyota.

If Republicans had continued to win, they'd have no reason to change. By getting their asses handed to them, they will have to change, or die. Given that there were NO decent candidates on the ballot, I chose to help the Republicans get the loss they so righteously deserved.

LibertyEagle
06-24-2009, 02:24 PM
If Republicans had continued to win, they'd have no reason to change. By getting their asses handed to them, they will have to change, or die. Given that there were NO decent candidates on the ballot, I chose to help the Republicans get the loss they so righteously deserved.

I guess you haven't figured out that both parties are controlled by the same people at the top. They don't care which side wins; their man gets elected, either way.

"The two parties should be almost identical, so that the American people can 'throw the rascals out' at any election without leading to any profound or extensive shift in policy." Quote by Georgetown Professor, Carroll Quigley from his book "Tragedy and Hope"

libertarian4321
06-24-2009, 02:38 PM
I guess you haven't figured out that both parties are controlled by the same people at the top. They don't care which side wins; their man gets elected, either way.

No, I don't subscribe to that particular conspiracy theory Is this going to degenerate into a Bilderberg/CFR rant?

LibertyEagle
06-24-2009, 02:40 PM
No, I don't subscribe to that particular conspiracy theory Is this going to degenerate into a Bilderberg/CFR rant?

lol.

Carroll Quigley was a professor at Georgetown and was Bill Clinton's self-professed mentor. It's in his book, Tragedy and Hope. Call it what you wish. :rolleyes:

torchbearer
06-24-2009, 02:48 PM
lol.

Carroll Quigley was a professor at Georgetown and was Bill Clinton's self-professed mentor. It's in his book, Tragedy and Hope. Call it what you wish. :rolleyes:

truth.

Badger Paul
06-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Be mindful that Bachmann is actually intelligent, unlike Sarah Palin

She's kidding, right?

purplechoe
06-24-2009, 04:19 PM

Conspiracy therory? This guy is a TROLL!!! Would you call Ron Paul consipacy theorist as well? You're not awake yet!!! Go back to sleep.

dr. hfn
06-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Is Ron Paul personally educating some Congressmen?

BenIsForRon
07-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Seriously, Bachman? PALIN!?!?!

I'm tired of these forums not holding republicans to the same standards they hold democrats.

It's like your mentality is: "If they voted against cap and trade or the stimulus, they're cool with me." But things like war, civil liberties, and separation of church and state aren't that big of a deal?

dr. hfn
07-15-2009, 09:52 PM
just don't let the MSM steal our movement from us or the GOP or Palin!

Deborah K
07-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Great article. I like Michele. I am hopeful that she will come into the fold.

Dreamofunity
07-16-2009, 01:14 AM
Seriously, Bachman? PALIN!?!?!

I'm tired of these forums not holding republicans to the same standards they hold democrats.

It's like your mentality is: "If they voted against cap and trade or the stimulus, they're cool with me." But things like war, civil liberties, and separation of church and state aren't that big of a deal?

This.

I'm glad she's learning and listening, but I don't think I could ever go into support mode by any standards.

Working Poor
07-16-2009, 04:58 AM

People who think Dr. Paul's beliefs don't get in the way don't understand the principals he stands for. To he his beliefs are what makes him.:cool:

tron paul
07-16-2009, 05:31 AM
Holy frickin' crap, man. (or woman) Get over it. Michelle Bachman is helping our cause. Stop bitching about it.

Well put. Constructive criticism FTW.

Matt Collins
07-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Tea Party Caucus?

Michele Bachmann…

Voted YES on $192B additional anti-recession stimulus spending. (Jul 2009)
Voted YES on overriding veto on expansion of Medicare. (Jul 2008)
Voted NO on investigating Bush impeachment for lying about Iraq. (Jun 2008)
Voted NO on redeploying US troops out of Iraq starting in 90 days. (May 2007)
Voted YES to EXTEND THE PATRIOT ACT "Spy-On-Citizens" Provisions
Voted YES on HR 5140 Economic Stimulus Plan (Feb 2008)
Voted YES on HR 6331 override a veto on a bill that expands Medicare (July 2007)
Voted YES on HR 3548 Providing Homebuyer Tax Credits (Nov 2009)

You really don’t have a clue if you think she represenst the Tea Party