PDA

View Full Version : Cap and Trade update

tangent4ronpaul
06-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Talked to a staffer this afternoon. Cap and trade is expected to pass the House Friday and be sent to the Senate Energy Committee under Boxer. The Senate does not have all the Dems in a row to pass it, so if it's going to be killed, it's going to be via contacting Senate Democrats.

The bill at present is expected to bring in $30-50 Billion dollars to the Federal Government over 10 years in a phased order. ie: less sooner, more later. On average that's about 3-5 Billion dollars a year or $10-15 dollars a year from every man woman and child per year - or $1 a month.

If that is accurate, this isn't a big deal, so I'm wondering where the doubling of utility rate statements are coming from.

Right now it's a moving target and changing daily. It's currently at 1,200 pages. Here is the link - what's here is not what will get voted on - it will change between now and then:

http://www.rules.house.gov/111/LegText/111_hr2454_sub.pdf

-t

Young Paleocon
06-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Two thoughts

1) When are government estimates ever right

2) This may just be "foot in the door" legislation so that this lays the groundwork and makes an energy tax a common tax ,so when they need to raise rates they can just pass that bill.

tangent4ronpaul
06-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Apparently the goal is to make coal too expensive an option to generate electricity so that something else will be used in it's place. ie: it will only effect you if your power is generated by burning coal. Well, there are other aspects - like gasoline, and the charge there will be at the refinery and passed on, so you will never see it.

But I agree with your comments.

-t

TastyWheat
06-23-2009, 07:33 PM
Compliance costs will increase utility prices just as much if not more than the tax itself. How will energy producers demonstrate they're not exceeding their limits? I'm guessing the burden of proof will rest on them as well.