PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a campaign slogan

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
06-23-2009, 07:24 AM
As many of you know, I am in the exploratory phase of running for Congress here in Maryland. I will admit that I have never run for anything before and this is all a learning experience for me. My Wife has been a great help in learning all she can to make youtube videos and build websites and I have had one huge help come through for me on the website end of things. You can visit the website at www.mcartorforcongress.com but please be forewarned that there is not much there as of now because the sirte only became active a few days ago and there are only two people working on it (one with some experience and one with no experience). Things are slowly coming together here and I hope to make this official by September. Now this brings me to what I need from you guys. I have gone back and forth in my mind trying to think of an awesome campaign slogan but so far have not come up with much. I jokingly have said it should be "why the hell not?" and have seriously thought about "let's take it back" and "restore the republic" but these just seem kind of weak. So what do you guys think? Any bright ideas out there?

Also, if you can be of assistance with volunteering time and service to help get this campaign rolling than please feel free to PM me.

max
06-23-2009, 07:43 AM
As many of you know, I am in the exploratory phase of running for Congress here in Maryland. I will admit that I have never run for anything before and this is all a learning experience for me. My Wife has been a great help in learning all she can to make youtube videos and build websites and I have had one huge help come through for me on the website end of things. You can visit the website at www.mcartorforcongress.com but please be forewarned that there is not much there as of now because the sirte only became active a few days ago and there are only two people working on it (one with some experience and one with no experience). Things are slowly coming together here and I hope to make this official by September. Now this brings me to what I need from you guys. I have gone back and forth in my mind trying to think of an awesome campaign slogan but so far have not come up with much. I jokingly have said it should be "why the hell not?" and have seriously thought about "let's take it back" and "restore the republic" but these just seem kind of weak. So what do you guys think? Any bright ideas out there?

Also, if you can be of assistance with volunteering time and service to help get this campaign rolling than please feel free to PM me.

find out how ur opponent voted on the bailouts and Stimulus

if he voted yea....u must turn the election into a referendum on the bailout. Thats the only way you will beat an incumbent.

forget playing nice... portray him/her as a total puppet of wall street and attack relentlessly on that point..

use postcard mailings as an inexpensive tool to reach voters...get a bulk mail permit....slam him on radio ads and cable tv and newspapers....

your only issue should be the bailout. You wont win on foreign policy in a local Congressional race. Monetary policy is too complex for people....just attack on the bailout..

Your slogan could something like.....NO MORE BANKER BAILOUTS...give your opponent a nickname...like Bailout Bob....and repeat it constantly

as for winning the GOP primary....link your opponent to Bush somehow...the hard part will be winning the primary

acptulsa
06-23-2009, 07:52 AM
max makes a good point. Not a bad strategy at this phase of the game.

I think someone--especially if he or she is a Samuel or a Samantha--to get a photoshop artist to superimpose them on the famous WWI recruiting poster and affix the slogan,

I want YOU

To have REAL REPRESENTATION in Washington!

Bman
06-23-2009, 08:09 AM
I'm running for congress, becasue I do not want to spend your money.

Best slogan I have thought of.

TCE
06-23-2009, 11:07 AM
At this point, put all of your focus on him/her. If you do, I'm sure you will expose some flaws. This works magnificently if the planning is well done and the money is there to support it. If not, it fails easily. In 2006, Rod Blagojevich won re-election even though the entire state knew he was corrupt. His strategy? Focus all of his efforts on instilling one phrase into people's heads: "Judy Barr Topinka, what's she thinking?" The slogan worked, and Blagojevich slid into re-election. He did this by portraying four weaknesses he thought she had, and aired the commercials on television non-stop.

One example was that she accepted money from a certain lobbyist. I'm sure that this guy has a lot of money from PAC's, expose them.

Another successful strategy, and this one is a more refined version of the above, was the campaign of Melissa Bean (D8th-IL). She was running against a man who had been in Congress since 1969. In addition, she beat him in 2004 when Republicans were on the upswing. She did this by first gaining the support of all the local papers and getting the media on her side. From that point on, everything was downhill. The media showed her in an extremely positive light and paid attention to her issues. What were they?:

* The man was never in the district.
* He received virtually no money from constituents, only special interests.
* Out of touch with the people since he had been in congress so long.

She smashed a Republican in a heavily Republican district in the year that Bush won a second term. I recommend using the two strategies in tandem.

JVParkour
06-23-2009, 12:44 PM
I was always a fan of Ron Paul's "Taxpayer's Best Friend". Maybe "Your Wallet's Best Friend" or something...lol

acptulsa
06-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Everyone wants to be a thief, but no one wants to roll up their sleeves and fix the problem. And that includes me. Please don't vote for me--vote for the thief. Thank you.

Reverse psychology can work... :D

LibertyEagle
06-23-2009, 12:55 PM
It depends on how upset everyone is in Maryland about what is going on.

I like, "Take Back Your Country".

__27__
06-23-2009, 01:04 PM
It's always helpful to have a theme song for a campaign, it can really get people behind your movement. One that I can't understand why libertarians haven't grabbed onto yet is Rush. I'm the first to admit I don't know what is required before you can use an artist, but I would think with Rush's views they would be glad to let libertarians or Ron Paul republicans use their music. There is none better than Freewill.

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill

Your campaign slogan could be "Choose Freewill", and you could play the chorus in your commercials. Just my 2 cents. If you don't (or can't) use it, I'd really like to see it used on a national scale, like Schiff's senate run or our next Presidential run.

Theocrat
06-23-2009, 01:15 PM
"Reinstating the Constitution"
"Restoring the Republic"
"Legalize Liberty"
"Bringing Back the Rule of Law"
"Peace, Prosperity, & Protection"
"Turning Politicians Into Statesmen"
"Cleaning Up D.C."

Krugerrand
06-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Pay attention to Ron Paul's approach. He's sure to get money for his district - even though he votes against the spending. Be sure you don't come across as somebody that will let their tax money go to build bridges somewhere else and not at home.

dannno
06-23-2009, 01:35 PM
"A Real Statesman"

"Protect Your Constitution"

pacelli
06-23-2009, 01:40 PM
"Nobody's perfect".

DirtMcGirt
06-23-2009, 01:47 PM
"A voice of Reason"

LittleLightShining
06-23-2009, 02:03 PM
I've decided, after seeing someone else mention it, that if I ever ran for office my signs would feature the Gadsden flag and my slogan would be "Don't Tread On Me." People would remember it and immediately know what you're all about.

PaulaGem
06-23-2009, 02:27 PM
The Constitution is the issue - Use it or lose it.

acptulsa
06-23-2009, 02:44 PM
The Constitution -- Use it or lose it.

I love this. Good stuff.

dgr
06-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Quot Patrick Henry 'GIVE ME LIBERTY'' then quot the American Creed to remind people that goverment is OF THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE AND BY THE PEOPLE'
and that the founding fathers envisioned a goverment composed of fellow citizens, not professional politicians, who are controlled by special interest

american.swan
06-23-2009, 05:14 PM
I don't have to read your post to know what you have to do. You have to frame EVERYTHING for the people to their benefit.

What's your slogan? How about "Here for you!"

You must absolutely stay away from "freedom" and "kooky Ron Paul" You have to be yourself and frame everything for the people.

1. Your for helping the poor. Absolutely. (using free market and liberty)
2. Your for cutting taxes. For the people.
3. Your for Helping the middle class.
4. Your for helping the blacks, Asians, Hispanics, and purple people.
5. Your for the ethical treatment of animals.
6. Your for helping the environment (follow contracts and free market and liberty)
7. Your for fixing the bloated government deficits.

All the above is what I'm talking about. You have to frame your free-market and liberty ideals for the people.

If you focus on "liberty" you'll loose. If you focus on the "people" you will win.

coyote_sprit
06-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Support the people not their banks.

american.swan
06-23-2009, 05:21 PM
PEOPLE DON'T WANT LIBERTY.
PEOPLE DON'T WANT THE CONSTITUTION
THEY WANT GOVERNMENT HANDOUTS.
THEY WANT GOVERNMENT ACTION.

You're going to tell people that you're going to put government into action to fix their lives. (of course we know what action that is....sleep) But if you tell people you're going to put government to sleep, YOU LOOSE

mediahasyou
06-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Your wallet's best friend.

- To advertise yourself properly, you must emphasize the benefits.

- You cant just say "Restoring the Republic" or some political term, most people dont know what that means. People know what a wallet's best friend is.

- Most people say they are "economic libertarians", so i would emphasize the money issues. Personally, I believe "the money issue" is our strongest argument, I would go with that.

p.s. Consider popular local issues too.

micahnelson
06-23-2009, 09:04 PM
I dunno about slogans... try to slip this into your stump speech.

"I'm not a big fan of government, funny thing for a candidate to say, I suppose, but its true. I love America, I love American greatness and I'll tell you this, it wasn't made inside the marble halls of government. Despite what many would like you to believe, this country was dreamed in the minds of great thinkers, but built on backs of strong labor. Hard work brought us great rewards, and some people got carried away. They figured these things were a birthright. Looking around, we now understand that just isn't the case. No an economy built on debt can never create real wealth. Its easy to get upset, but that isn't what I am about. We could point fingers and blame people all day long- but that won't bring back one job or get one pallet of goods built in this great district. I decided instead of talking about it, we should do something about it. With more laws, upon more taxes, upon more regulation, upon more red tape- I came to a conclusion. I could either run FOR congress, or spend the rest of my days running FROM congress. If you want me to go to washington to decide what business should be bailed out at your expense, how cars should be built, and to decide when youre rich enough to be taxed to death- you should probably look elsewhere because I am not looking to run your life. If you want a voice in the halls of power, a voice that will bring common sense to a place in desperate need of it- then send me to washington."

Danke
06-23-2009, 09:05 PM
"I know you are, but what am I?"