PDA

View Full Version : Should the government give preference to veterans for jobs?

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
06-23-2009, 06:39 AM
It is well known that the United States government gives preference to military veterans when it comes to availability for government jobs. I am interested in the general opinion of folks here regarding this policy. Should veterans get special treatment when it comes to job placement?

ChaosControl
06-23-2009, 09:33 AM
The government shouldn't be having jobs to give out.

But meh, I don't particularly care if they do or don't give preference.

UnReconstructed
06-23-2009, 09:58 AM
I am a veteran and that hasn't helped me even a little. It's just a talking point they use to make military people feel that they are a little better than the average person... it's BS.

Sean
06-23-2009, 10:35 AM
On certain civil service exams you will be given bonus points to your score.

Kraig
06-23-2009, 10:44 AM

+1

tremendoustie
06-23-2009, 10:51 AM

But meh, I don't particularly care if they do or don't give preference.

+2

fisharmor
06-23-2009, 11:05 AM

+3.

Plus, it also helps a lot if you're going to work for any of the number of fascist corporations.

A pure government example, though. A high school friend of mine was bona fide LD, had kids out of wedlock, got married, joined the Air Force as a missle handling grunt. Recently got his business school bachelor's. Just got a job with DHS, making more money and better benefits than I do working in the private sector, and I have almost a decade of IT experience.

I'm happy for him that he has a good life now. But it does grind my gears that a man who can't spell is helping to implement RealID, and his military experience got him in the door. Well, maybe it's a good thing he's in the RealID talent pool, but I'm still paying for it.

He's the type of guy who, fifty years ago, would have made a decent living for himself and his family by pulling the same lever on the same machine forty hours a week for his entire career.

Conza88
06-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Veteran at what? Defending special interests and the military industrial complex? Furthering the move towards a one world government? :confused:

Government can create 10,000,000 jobs tomorrow.. hire people to digg random holes in the desert for no reason... but it destroys wealth.

__27__
06-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Is your goal to get the most qualified person into the position they are qualified for? Or is it to play identity politics and use discrimination to benefit a small group?

I'm a purple heart veteran from Iraq, and an officer in many veteran's organizations. I can tell you my view isn't the most popular, but I believe it's the most principled. Veterans deserve nothing more than any other citizen, save a small amount of respect and some kind words, and for those injured on the job the same benefits any other worker would receive should he be injured on the job.

We can take care of ourselves, along with generous contributions (private) from kind people who appreciate the work we have done. But not theft. Just as an example, take MAC-V here in Minnesota, a private non-profit run by veterans for veterans that helps thousands of homeless vets in Minnesota every year. No government theft necessary.

http://www.mac-v.org/