PDA

View Full Version : Naomi Wolf's Thoughts On Ron Paul Supporters

lookingforMrToolBar
06-22-2009, 06:30 PM
worth a look
so is Naomi!
YouTube - Naomi Wolf Expresses Her Admiration For The Ron Paul Revolution People (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPVCOqCGSqk)

Kade
06-22-2009, 06:34 PM
worth a look
so is Naomi!
YouTube - Naomi Wolf Expresses Her Admiration For The Ron Paul Revolution People (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPVCOqCGSqk)

I sometimes refer to myself as a Naomi Wolf liberal... I am a fan.

I really enjoyed The End of America.

...and the ten rules:

1. Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy.
2. Create secret prisons where torture takes place.
3. Develop a thug caste or paramilitary force not answerable to citizens.
4. Set up an internal surveillance system.
5. Harass citizens' groups.
6. Engage in arbitrary detention and release.
7. Target key individuals.
8. Control the press.
9. Treat all political dissidents as traitors.
10. Suspend the rule of law.

torchbearer
06-22-2009, 06:35 PM
cool

ItsTime
06-22-2009, 06:41 PM

...and the ten rules:

8. Control the press.

Has she realized that Obama is doing all those things well besides #10? Or is she still on the evil Bush train?

haaaylee
06-22-2009, 06:43 PM
weird, i'm playing the documentary based on her book End of America tonight where i work. Its good, basically just a speech by her though explaining the ten steps. .

torchbearer
06-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Has she realized that Obama is doing all those things well besides #10? Or is she still on the evil Bush train?

Have you heard about obama's "preventive detention"?
You can put#10 on the list too.

american.swan
06-22-2009, 06:46 PM

...and the ten rules:

8. Control the press.

I have her next book, Give Me Liberty. It rocks. Gives directions on how to make a press release and other cool stuff.

ItsTime
06-22-2009, 06:47 PM

Got me there.

Kade

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about...

However, and it might be the bias talking, but I certainly saw this stuff with Bush.

Bold=Obama...maybe?

1. Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy. *This is neo-conservatism... he most certainly has not done this... the black-white dichotomy of Leo Strauss
2. Create secret prisons where torture takes place. *Same prison
3. Develop a thug caste or paramilitary force not answerable to citizens. *Bush did....
5. Harass citizens' groups. *Nope.
8. Control the press. *Fox is 24 hours anti-Obama
9. Treat all political dissidents as traitors. *I haven't heard this...
10. Suspend the rule of law. *nope.

american.swan

Naomi was fooled and believed Obama would go down the road of dictatorship "slower" than McCain. I believe that was her view.

torchbearer
06-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Naomi was fooled and believed Obama would go down the road of dictatorship "slower" than McCain. I believe that was her view.

I'm thinking Uncle Tom could sell it better if his skin color wasn't white.
This makes Obama a better dictator than Bush.

ItsTime
06-22-2009, 06:51 PM
@ Kade

1. Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy. North Korea or the banking enemy
2. Create secret prisons where torture takes place. Same prisonS
3. Develop a thug caste or paramilitary force not answerable to citizens. Czars/acorn
4. Set up an internal surveillance system. Same as Bush
5. Harass citizens' groups. Having acorn send people to AIG houses
6. Engage in arbitrary detention and release. Yes
7. Target key individuals. Fired an inspector general when he found out about fraud Obama was involved in
8. Control the press. The press has been controlled more than any other president.
9. Treat all political dissidents as traitors. If you are a protester you are a terrorist. DOD just recently.
10. Suspend the rule of law. See TB comment

ItsTime
06-22-2009, 06:53 PM
I'm thinking Uncle Tom could sell it better if his skin color wasn't white.
This makes Obama a better dictator than Bush.

Like public enemy says the nwo order need a black face to sell itself better.

Kade
06-22-2009, 06:53 PM
1. Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy. North Korea
I don't see the same fear tactics, sorry. Not giving you this one.

2. Create secret prisons where torture takes place. Same prisonS
Yep.

3. Develop a thug caste or paramilitary force not answerable to citizens. Czars
Seriously? Not giving you this either... as stupid as the Czars are...

4. Set up an internal surveillance system. Same as Bush
Yep.

5. Harass citizens' groups. Having acorn send people to AIG houses
Maybe. Not really sold on the relation.

6. Engage in arbitrary detention and release. Yes
=/

7. Target key individuals. Fired an inspector general when he found out about fraud Obama was involved in
Not sure about that... but I bolded it anyway.

8. Control the press. The press has been controlled more than any other president.
Absolutely not. And I am sticking my guns on this one... the media is right-leaning, with a special 24 hour Conservative broadcast station.

9. Treat all political dissidents as traitors. If you are a protester you are a terrorist. DOD just recently.
No.

And no....

1000-points-of-fright
06-22-2009, 06:55 PM
And no....

Nullifying contracts by presidential fiat doesn't count?

torchbearer
06-22-2009, 06:56 PM
And no....

how about you remove your head from your ass:

YouTube - RACHEL MADDOW DESTROYS OBAMA ON LYING TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6-4wPVwNEM)

I know- your messiah is another bush. how unpredictable. :rolleyes:

malkusm
06-22-2009, 06:58 PM
I honestly have no idea what you are talking about...

However, and it might be the bias talking, but I certainly saw this stuff with Bush.

Bold=Obama...maybe?

1. Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy. *This is neo-conservatism... he most certainly has not done this... the black-white dichotomy of Leo Strauss
2. Create secret prisons where torture takes place. *Same prison
3. Develop a thug caste or paramilitary force not answerable to citizens. *Bush did....
5. Harass citizens' groups. *Nope.
8. Control the press. *Fox is 24 hours anti-Obama
9. Treat all political dissidents as traitors. *I haven't heard this...
10. Suspend the rule of law. *nope.

1. Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy. *Obama has elevated troop levels in Iraq and has ordered countless military strikes on Pakistan, which goes above and beyond even what Bush did. To suggest that his foreign policy has been different from the neo-conservative agenda is pretty absurd.
2. Create secret prisons where torture takes place. *Right, he hasn't put an end to anything that was going on in Bush's term.
3. Develop a thug caste or paramilitary force not answerable to citizens. *Can't really speak to this one....the whole government is a "thug caste....not answerable to citizens," isn't it?
4. Set up an internal surveillance system. *Oh, right, I forgot this isn't going on any more now that Bush is out of office. :rolleyes:
5. Harass citizens' groups. *You wouldn't consider the DHS reports of right-wing extremism to be harassing groups that would otherwise not be associated with racism or violence?
6. Engage in arbitrary detention and release. *Two words: "preventive detention."
7. Target key individuals. *What does this even mean? Doesn't every politican target key individuals?
8. Control the press. *Obama doesn't control the press himself....but the press has more or less been controlled for years.
9. Treat all political dissidents as traitors. *Again, DHS reports of "right-wing extremism," similar things have been happening around the country...
10. Suspend the rule of law. *If you consider the Constitution to be the "rule of law," there's not much more left to be done...

Kade
Nullifying contracts by presidential fiat doesn't count?

I'm afraid that if we use the most potent words in our defining of things, we won't have any words left when and if it actually does occur....

We can call this Fascism, and a dictatorship all day, and everyday.

When it's on our doorstep, and I mean literally, we have nothing left to call it.

ItsTime
One news station does not make the media.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/dec/06/obamas-positive-press-sets-record/

Thats just a quick google search for a link. I skimmed it

http://ottawainvestmentadvisor.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/kool-aid.jpg

malkusm
06-22-2009, 07:00 PM
My point is that this stuff is not left or right, that list of things has been going on over the last several presidents and continue to accelerate. Obama has certainly not reversed that course.

Kade
06-22-2009, 07:01 PM
1. Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy. *Obama has elevated troop levels in Iraq and has ordered countless military strikes on Pakistan, which goes above and beyond even what Bush did. To suggest that his foreign policy has been different from the neo-conservative agenda is pretty absurd.
2. Create secret prisons where torture takes place. *Right, he hasn't put an end to anything that was going on in Bush's term.
3. Develop a thug caste or paramilitary force not answerable to citizens. *Can't really speak to this one....the whole government is a "thug caste....not answerable to citizens," isn't it?
4. Set up an internal surveillance system. *Oh, right, I forgot this isn't going on any more now that Bush is out of office. :rolleyes:
5. Harass citizens' groups. *You wouldn't consider the DHS reports of right-wing extremism to be harassing groups that would otherwise not be associated with racism or violence?
6. Engage in arbitrary detention and release. *Two words: "preventive detention."
7. Target key individuals. *What does this even mean? Doesn't every politican target key individuals?
8. Control the press. *Obama doesn't control the press himself....but the press has more or less been controlled for years.
9. Treat all political dissidents as traitors. *Again, DHS reports of "right-wing extremism," similar things have been happening around the country...
10. Suspend the rule of law. *If you consider the Constitution to be the "rule of law," there's not much more left to be done...

You are stretching, in my opinion.

He doesn't use language that suggests we have a frightening enemy abroad... Noami specifically meant the dichotomy of good and evil.... if I recall, Obama went out of his to lessen the use of the word "Terrorist", and was criticized pretty strongly for his rather positive speech in Cairo downplaying America's feelings towards foreigners in general....

The things that make this list valid are more like the things we experienced during Bush, and even then, it is nothing compared to the rise of actual fascism in the 1930s.

torchbearer
06-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Maddow isn't a right wing schill, her bias is for Obama- yet she sees he isn't following the rule of law. she proved it with her program.

malkusm
06-22-2009, 07:02 PM
You are stretching, in my opinion.

He doesn't use language that suggests we have a frightening enemy abroad... Noami specifically meant the dichotomy of good and evil.... if I recall, Obama went out of his to lessen the use of the word "Terrorist", and was criticized pretty strongly for his rather positive speech in Cairo downplaying America's feelings towards foreigners in general....

The things that make this list valid are more like the things we experienced during Bush, and even then, it is nothing compared to the rise of actual fascism in the 1930s.

Right, which is why I added the last post -

My point is that this stuff is not left or right, that list of things has been going on over the last several presidents and continue to accelerate. Obama has certainly not reversed that course.

Kade
06-22-2009, 07:02 PM
One news station does not make the media.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/dec/06/obamas-positive-press-sets-record/

Thats just a quick google search for a link. I skimmed it

Ironic, isn't it, posting a link you easily found, on a major Newspaper's site, expressing how much "favorable" coverage he gets? A very positive article.

Stretching.

Kade
06-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Maddow isn't a right wing schill, her bias is for Obama- yet she sees he isn't following the rule of law. she proved it with her program.

And I agree with her. I am not a fan, or a supporter of Obama.

He is no friend to Liberals.

torchbearer
06-22-2009, 07:09 PM

and he fits rule #10- Breaks the rule of law.
You said "and no".
Do you wish to revisit this answer?
I'm not a repug., I'm no partisan hack. I'm telling you, we received no qualitative change in the '08 election of Obama, and he isn't following the rule of law.

nbhadja
06-22-2009, 07:13 PM

Exactly, because Bush= Obama.

torchbearer
06-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Do you know how happy I would be if I was wrong about Obama?
If he turned out to be this classical liberal who believed in liberty?
Yet, when given the opportunity to reign in the DEA on marijuana, his administration says one thing and does another.
He admits to toking. And that is fine.
Yet- somehow, he doesn't think he should have went to prison for smoking a joint, but he sure as hell thinks you need to be there for doing the same.

lookingforMrToolBar
06-22-2009, 07:30 PM
since this has shifted from Naomi Wolf to Obama
i thought you might enjoy these two videos.
please also join the site and post comments there, too.
the site is about creating a hub that unites and empowers liberty activists.
http://www.oneumbrellaforliberty.com/videos/id_8/title_Live-Jelly-and-The-Garko-Experience-Pt-1/
and
http://www.oneumbrellaforliberty.com/videos/id_9/title_Live-Jelly-And-The-Garko-Experience-Pt-2/

also...
http://www.oneumbrellaforliberty.com/videos/id_13/title_Confroniting-Obamabots-Outside-Leno-Show/

Deborah K
06-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Naomi at the Revolution March:

YouTube - Naomi Wolf @ Revolution March & Rally July 12, 2008 Pt 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXxvevvVQjY)

YouTube - Naomi Wolf @ Revolution March & Rally July 12, 2008 Pt2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLxs53GFTeI&feature=related)

slacker921
06-22-2009, 08:27 PM
#7. Target key individuals. cough... (http://spectator.org/archives/2009/04/15/thoughtcrime-redux)

#8 Control the press... how about using one of the networks for an infomercial (http://www.onenewsnow.com/Politics/Default.aspx?id=573656) on his proposed healthcare plan?

I enjoyed Naomi Wolf's "The End of America", and I'm waiting to hear her admit that Obama hasn't changed the course that we were on... if anything he hit the turbo button. He isn't scaring people with "terrorists".. now it's "extremists". An extremist gets out and protests, sticks gadsden flag bumper stickers on their car, etc.... that term casts a much broader net. And every effort is being made to tie the label extremist and all the scary connotations that come along with it to the Tea Parties, to conservatives, to Paul supporters, etc... but not to Democrats or neoconservatives.

sevin
06-22-2009, 08:57 PM

Technically, she may have been right. But then technically 100mph is slower than 101mph.

james1906
06-22-2009, 10:37 PM
7. Missouri's Most Wanted

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/067/Graph/Chuck_Baldwin__Ron_Paul_325_x_487.JPG

Anti Federalist
06-22-2009, 11:54 PM
In stark legal turnaround, Obama now resembles Bush

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/70383.html

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is morphing into George W. Bush, as administration attorneys repeatedly adopt the executive-authority and national-security rationales that their Republican predecessors preferred.

In courtroom battles and freedom-of-information fights from Washington, D.C., to California, Obama's legal arguments repeatedly mirror Bush's: White House turf is to be protected, secrets must be retained and dire warnings are wielded as weapons.

"It's putting up a veritable wall around the White House, and it's so at odds with Obama's campaign commitment to more open government," said Anne Weismann, chief counsel for Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, a legal watchdog group.

tpreitzel
06-22-2009, 11:57 PM
In stark legal turnaround, Obama now resembles Bush

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/70383.html

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is morphing into George W. Bush, as administration attorneys repeatedly adopt the executive-authority and national-security rationales that their Republican predecessors preferred.

In courtroom battles and freedom-of-information fights from Washington, D.C., to California, Obama's legal arguments repeatedly mirror Bush's: White House turf is to be protected, secrets must be retained and dire warnings are wielded as weapons.

"It's putting up a veritable wall around the White House, and it's so at odds with Obama's campaign commitment to more open government," said Anne Weismann, chief counsel for Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, a legal watchdog group.

Change you can believe in ... scary ... ;)

BuddyRey
06-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Naomi Wolf seems like good people. She reminds me a lot of myself before I realized that the problem was the size and scope of government itself rather than the specific individuals occupying the positions of power.

That, by the way, is the only real difference between independent-minded liberals and libertarians. A liberal is a libertarian who has the general moral puzzle figured out but is missing one or two key pieces. :D

silverhawks
06-24-2009, 05:03 PM
I dont suppose anyone has pointed out that Obama's "terrifying internal enemy" is us, considering that the DHS is cranking out reports about every kind of "extremism" under the sun?

anaconda
06-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Naomi is coming around more and more all the time. She is a blessing in my opinion because people like her can convert many kinds of liberals more quickly than we probably can.