PDA

View Full Version : Son of Shah to be reinstated?

max
06-22-2009, 04:59 PM
It's 1953 all over again! The hated Iranian monarchy to make a comeback?

"They hate us for our freedom."

http://www.iran-press-service.com/articles_2003/Jun-2003/us_monarchists_3603.htm

Lovecraftian4Paul
06-22-2009, 05:07 PM
I would be surprised. Our government usually ends up stabbing its exiled puppets in the back because they're just too unpalatable to the people of X country after the regime is changed. Chalabi was long looked at as replacement for Saddam, but they pretty much trashed him not long after the occupation.

Old Ducker
06-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Actually if accepted by the revolutionaries, Reza Pahlavi may be the ideal person to lead Iran into a new age, not as Shah but as an interim figure who is respected by the population but more importantly isn't tainted by the existing regime.

Lovecraftian4Paul
06-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Actually if accepted by the revolutionaries, Reza Pahlavi may be the ideal person to lead Iran into a new age, not as Shah but as an interim figure who is respected by the population but more importantly isn't tainted by the existing regime.

He's tainted by the old regime. And what evidence is there that he's respected over there at all? Most of the young Iranians protesting likely haven't paid much attention to the family, and the older ones old enough to remember his father despise them.

Restorations generally don't work out too well, interim figure or not. France went through a huge amount of turmoil in the past two centuries due to continued experimentation with both Bourbons and Bonapartes.

dannno
06-22-2009, 05:23 PM

Everybody around me is wondering what that loud smacking sound was. It was my hand against my forehead.

dannno
06-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Great find max.

Old Ducker
06-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Everybody around me is wondering what they loud smacking sound was they just heard. It was my hand against my forehead.

Personally I'd prefer the first president of post-revolution Iran to be a Baha'i.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-22-2009, 05:46 PM
From today...

Son of shah says protesters defeat could lead to nuclear war

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jZvhM5JI_uHEbQ01Q9D8zKs8jbzw

Excuse me while I puke.

dannno
06-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Personally I'd prefer the first president of post-revolution Iran to be a Baha'i.

LOLzers

Lovecraftian4Paul
06-22-2009, 06:18 PM
From today...

Son of shah says protesters defeat could lead to nuclear war

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jZvhM5JI_uHEbQ01Q9D8zKs8jbzw

Excuse me while I puke.

Wow, almost like the numbskulls seemingly in the know are flaunting it. First Kissinger, now this. I doubt they'll run off and start lobbing nukes at Iran, but it's definitely trying to whip up the public for a new war that could contain extreme measures.

cindy25
06-22-2009, 08:58 PM
a constitutional monarchy makes the most sense for these countries but it won't happen.

Old Ducker
06-22-2009, 09:02 PM
a constitutional monarchy makes the most sense for these countries but it won't happen.

Reza Pahlavi is not a popular figure in Tehran.