PDA

View Full Version : Obama signs tobacco law giving FDA new powers

DapperDan
06-22-2009, 03:33 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124566796165436743.html

WASHINGTON -- Saying he can relate to people who are struggling to kick cigarettes, President Barack Obama signed into law legislation giving the Food and Drug Administration strong new powers over the way tobacco products are made and sold.

"Today, despite decades of lobbying and advertising by the tobacco industry, we passed a law to help protect the next generation of Americans from growing up with a deadly habit that so many of our generation have lived with," Mr. Obama said at bill-signing ceremony Monday at the White House.

Passed overwhelmingly by the House and Senate earlier this month, the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act requires companies that make tobacco products to register with the FDA and provide the agency with a detailed product list. It would assess user fees on manufacturers to pay for the cost of FDA tobacco regulation.

Mr. Obama said the measure will help stop cigarette companies from targeting young people, crucial because almost 90% of all smokers began before they turned 18.

"I know, I was one of these teenagers," Mr. Obama said. "So I know how difficult it can be to break this habit when it's been with you for a long time."

The law will force cigarette packs to carry graphic warnings and forbid the use of terms like "mild" and "low tar" in tobacco advertisements. By July 2011, the top half of the front and rear panels of cigarette boxes will consist of warnings.

The FDA will be able to closely regulate tobacco products, with tobacco manufacturers and importers required to submit information to the government about ingredients and additives in tobacco products. By October, candy, fruit and spice flavors will be banned from cigarettes.

Other provisions are aimed at lessening the appeal of smoking to young people. Tobacco companies won't be allowed to sponsor sporting events using product brand names, and they will be prohibited from selling or giving away clothing featuring cigarette brands or logos.

Mr. Obama said young people are "aggressively targeted as customers" and "exposed to a constant and insidious barrage of advertising where they live, where they learn and where they play."

The bill was opposed by lawmakers in North Carolina and the state's two biggest tobacco companies -- Reynolds American Inc. and Lorillard Inc. Altria Group Inc. -- the U.S.'s biggest tobacco producer -- backed the bill, however.

HOLLYWOOD
06-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Kinda Hypocritical eh?

The smoking and tokin Barry putting mandates and taxes on Smokers.

jsu718
06-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Maybe now they can take the tax off of them?
Most of it is semantics and minor changes. This is not really a life altering bill... unless you really like fruit flavored cigs.

torchbearer
06-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Kinda Hypocritical eh?

The smoking and tokin Barry putting mandates and taxes on Smokers.

He didn't think he needed to go to prison for smoking a joint, but he sure as hell think you should go to jail for it.

haaaylee
06-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Maybe now they can take the tax off of them?
Most of it is semantics and minor changes. This is not really a life altering bill... unless you really like fruit flavored cigs.

I DO!

ha

teamrican1
06-22-2009, 03:41 PM
It bans cloves too, which are a major export of the largest Muslim nation in the world and is going to trigger a trade war between us and Indonesia. Way to keep winning over those hearts and minds, Obama.

Anti Federalist
06-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Agricultural products, including tobacco, are some of the few things we actually produce anymore.

Not for much longer...

nobody's_hero
06-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Menthol isn't exactly a candy flavoring, but do you folks think those will be included in the ban? :(

Anti Federalist
06-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Menthol isn't exactly a candy flavoring, but do you think those will be included in the ban? :(

Specifically excluded, from my reading of it.

nobody's_hero
06-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Specifically excluded, from my reading of it.

I would have read the bill but I'm out of Pepto and I don't feel like calling in sick tomorrow, so thanks for the info.

teamrican1
06-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Menthol isn't exactly a candy flavoring, but do you folks think those will be included in the ban? :(

Menthol is the only flavor excluded. It's excluded because Phillip Morris does Menthol but not any other kinds of flavors. They wanted a bill that would destroy their competition and increase their already dominate market share. The smoking nazis wanted more regulatory power. So they got together and made a deal. Fascism at its finest. It was a big win for the Biggest of Big Tobacco, the Government, and the parasites that feed on the regulatory state. Only losers are the people, small business, and freedom.

Rael
06-22-2009, 07:51 PM
It bans cloves too, which are a major export of the largest Muslim nation in the world and is going to trigger a trade war between us and Indonesia. Way to keep winning over those hearts and minds, Obama.

This is bullshit.

SimpleName
06-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Menthol is the only flavor excluded. It's excluded because Phillip Morris does Menthol but not any other kinds of flavors. They wanted a bill that would destroy their competition and increase their already dominate market share. The smoking nazis wanted more regulatory power. So they got together and made a deal. Fascism at its finest. It was a big win for the Biggest of Big Tobacco, the Government, and the parasites that feed on the regulatory state. Only losers are the people, small business, and freedom.

Yup. Like everything. This is the key point. Everyone thinks that more regulations and rules equals more competition and fair play, but in reality, such commercial regulations cause for corruption and distorted markets. When you think the government is tearing down powerhouses, it is really creating monsters. More suppression of the free market. YAY!

I wonder what the regulations on smokeless tobacco will be like. They have talked about completely banning snus, a Swedish smokeless tobacco, branding it as "tobacco candy," I of course happen to use it and I'm greatly pissed at such stupid accusations. BTW, snus already goes through the Swedish equivalent of the FDA, forcing them to have ingredients fully listed already. I can only hope such a ban does not take place as I will [insert felony here] Don't want my subjective freedom of speech reaching the "authorities". Anyway, big ERRRRRR to this bill. Hopefully this bill works for the better and finally exposes everything tobacco companies put in the tobacco. Unfortunately, I doubt it'll "be for the better" at all.

**Limiting nicotine content...more ERRR!!!**

Matt Collins
06-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Can someone please cite for me where in the Constitution the President is authorized to grant powers to other parts of the government that the Constitution doesn't specify he hold himself?!

Working Poor
06-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Well now that the FDA has total control better quit smoking cause they will kill ya for sure now.

zach
06-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Why should he care if people are dying from cigarettes?
We're all dying under the high prices that are mysteriously not helping the paychecks.

On a side note, "spicy, fruity" cigarettes fall under the clove companies as someone else said..

this could be a major hit against those who may like the cloves.

Tennanja
06-23-2009, 01:28 AM
I guess If they are going to ban snus I'll need to stock up soon, and on all of my flavored cigars--The humidor is getting really full as it is, I just stocked up on cigars now before they get wiped out because of their nicotine content.

I believe this bill-now signed- so i guess law- is total horse **** and unfortunately this was done to appease the large cigarette manufacturers as their products seem to be the only thing that will be allowed for the next short while, that is until a complete ban on tobacco is forced on us by the FDA changing their guideline which they will be able to do without anyone getting a say in it.

Welcome to the new prohibition. Remeber how well prohibition has worked in the past.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
06-23-2009, 01:43 AM
So many of my friends who were smokers decided they were voting for Obama and many of the ones who did not vote for Obama decided not to vote at all because as many of them said "I am just not into politics". Well I think I am going to remind them that this is the price they pay for their apathy when I hear them bitch about it. Of course many of them also do not read or watch any type of news so I am going to have to tell them first.

catdd
06-23-2009, 06:56 AM
A new survey conducted found that the most liberal states were also the least free states.
It wouldn't bother me at all if the country divided into two sections - red and blue.

Let the liberals ban themselves into oblivion without taking everyone else down with them.
Of course, the conservatives aren't much better these days but they are more tolerant, the study showed.

werdd
06-23-2009, 07:09 AM

He wouldnt piss off his constituency like that ;).

Jordan
06-23-2009, 07:41 AM
he wouldnt piss off his constituency like that ;).

ha! ;)