PDA

View Full Version : Industrial hemp and my nonsense.

Gun24
06-03-2007, 03:48 AM
Googled _ron paul forum_ to see where the big buzz can be found this month, this site was second do to the added s, and came across this fun topic.
http://www.marijuana.com/420/drug-war-headline-news/62101-tx-reefer-madness-lets-embarrass.html

While I agree almost entirely with his stance. I'd like to add to this as this maybe be useful in debate or in general.
With 3 simple areas: New Orleans, Economics, & Climate Change(Global Warming)
A few push button terms Ron can use for the under-educated to brew over. I'm going to be jumping around quite a bit so let your mind wander.

I don't like Al Gore or Showtime but felt compeled to watch An Inconvient Truth. Was a must see to me before it was to air. Watched, Asked others to watch, and even my family ignored the overall concern. Hate Greenpeace too but those furcoat legs are starting to look good. The dozen or so times I let it run on an unwatched TV was basically from the notation nothing good was on, was doing laundry/dishes, and hoping someone would catch a glimpse. Don't know if this was the 3rd or 4th time veiwing, as this was months ago, but was my second time to catch the beginning of which there was the up and down carbon graph. At that point a connection finally clicked, Pot in Louisana!
With a key port city in soggybottom shambles with fear loaming for the coming storm season it is doubtful the native leather industry will offer economic relief and favorable Girls Gone Wild attractions. These southern bubbas need a cash crop. The military is supposedly there anyways might as well take advantage of the rescent highschool dropouts present. You can practically buy swampland for pesos so mush the spending bill arguement will be over materials, most of which can be taken out of police contraban if they wish to pinch that penny. But this is hemp not pot we're talking about. Is harvested before it can be a drug. Of course our society doesn't see things so clearly. You can breed a new strain which grants no high in anyway, photos faster if possible, and can become a far more suitable non-polutant biofuel basically without hiring anyone. Think of all the diehard weed groups foreign and domestic willing to support the cause. Ron says this should be a state choice not for the gov to interfer in, I'm big into state over big brother's say myself, but we should take anything at this point. Fence, alarm, and mark the plants(lot of creative ways there) as one fear is adolesent thieves. There will be the moral issue, but to that end they assume someone will be smoking the product still. They can still outlaw possession while adding harsher penalities for stealing this stuff if they wish. We still need this. EV1 got trashed, hydrogen cells cost about as much as some of the rich saved under Bush, yet hemp as a fuel can go in a huge ammount of the cars/trucks we have now and are producing. Enough of that rant...
Covered a good portion of NO & Eco already. Back to why that CO2 graph was important. As explained by Gore, as his professor taught him, the Earth breathes in and out each year. The plants take in CO2 then emits this gas back into the atmosphere once the leaves fall off and die. Industrial hemp is harvested before flowering,we'll be harvesting year round with winters like these, and the plants will be collected before/after they die. That's all Sun & CO2 intake with the output being what we make it. Global Warming, the silly name we are coming to fear more, is Sunlight and the gases we emit. Now think about how much light and cardon dioxide is taken into these fast growing plants. Not the best example, but think back to the movie BioDome. One scene you have 2 stoners say,"More air for eeeeverybody." then the next has Shore standing next a tall stalk of purple sticky punch. Not offering anything new to what hemp can do for the US though I am offering what this crop can do for the state of LA. Not a cowarded metro state by any means, it's part of the bible belt, has swamps to get water from, and has a big port from which to ship from. The selling point that can be advertised would be a poster of a ruined Bourbon St. with _Don't let Katrina happen again._ in big letters. Wanted to save this for last because that's the only way to reach the people is with media. Also this is my first post and wanted to come off as a yuppy democrat thought I am harsh republican. Beyond that I wanted to save what will the best public push for last and see who reads that far. Notice I'm not going in the other uses of hemp. I stand to see a Eco-friendly New Orleans & Cheap Fuel as same solution! Don't have to question eco-friendly and cheap fuel. It's bull. If weed could pull in loads of carbon the LA coast stands a chance of being more at risk.Sure they would take in heaps of sunrays, but trees are better as they can keep the rays at bay and provide ground shade. And eco-friendly? pssf that's nancy boy forgeting a barge oiled river in a city which lost most the workers and still kicking up some dust from deserted homes. Cheap fuel is quite a stretch given the amount of hemp need for one drum from the refineries we lack in said state. Lot of problems with marketing supply and demand for this product when we still have oil(for now!), hybrids on the rise(should be all electric!), and all the info on biodiesel is publically skecthy outside of diesel engines. You didn't think I'd have an swer anyways.
Saw the nice, personal beginning. Went off onto an edge in the middle. Processed with the factually upbeat to seal the deal. This was pretty much a political experiment with an idea wanted to get out of my system.

I'd like to see where you would go, personally, don't have to go off what I used. As Ron mentioned in that interview his views on hemp could be soft spot in his coming debates and his supporters didn't understand his views. I would like to see how others would mold this topic for the American people as this is a business issue looking all to liberal(hippy). Ron holds strong to his ideals, but that doesn't mean they can't change. He doesn't need help just monetarily. I've said my part so if possible we can brainstorm how to adjust the presentation of industrial hemp then preach it to him in some way what we came up with. Read a lot of talk about what he should do though nothing as bold as this essay in terms of what he could say. Took over 2 hours, but I'm not sleeping much tonight anyways(mid-day nap). Sent a short(yes really) to ronpaul2008.com weeks ago saying they need their own forum or else it's more myspace spam and what little indie forums offer. This is hemp issue and that email are comparable to the evolution debate as all we need is a better slogan with less clutter of facts. You can't win a shit fight with paper(rolling or toilet ;).Enough of my mind games, have at it Haas.

So this can start off on a better foot go back to comment primarily on Ron's words. Throw in Iowa & Ethanol if you wish.

If you are going to flame me do so on this fun fact...Lived in Lake Jackson, Texas for 7 years and didn't know of Ron until I saw him on Bill Maher, which oddly enough is my first season to watch.

Seth M.
06-03-2007, 09:11 AM
8000BC
Civilization, agriculture and hemp textile industries begin in Europe and Asia.
3727BC Cannabis called a "superior" herb in the world's first medical text, Shen Nung's Pen Ts'ao, in China.
1500BC Cannabis-using Scythians sweep through Europe and Asia, settle down everywhere, and invent the scythe.
500BC Gautama Buddah survives by eating hempseed.
450BC Herodotus records Scythians and Thracians as consuming cannabis and making fine linens of hemp.
300BC
Carthage and Rome struggle for political and commercial power over hemp and spice trade routes in Mediterranean.
100BC
Paper made from hemp and mulberry is invented in China.
100AD
Roman surgeon Dioscorides names the plant cannabis sativa and describes various medicinal uses. Pliny tells of industrial uses and writes a manual on farming hemp.
500AD
First botanical drawing of hemp in Constantinopolitanus
600AD
Germans, Franks, Vikings, etc. all use hemp fibre.
1000AD
The English word 'hempe' first listed in a dictionary.
1150AD
Moslems use hemp to start Europe's first paper mill. Most paper is made from hemp for the next 700 years.
1492AD Hempen sails, caulking and rigging ignite age of discovery and help Columbus and his ships reach America.
1545 Hemp agriculture crosses the continent overland to Chile.
1564 King Phillip of Spain orders hemp grown throughout his empire, from modern-day Argentina to Oregon.
16th-17th Century Dutch achieve Golden Age through hemp commerce. Explorers find 'wilde hempe' in North America.
1619 Virginia colony makes hemp cultivation mandatory, followed by most other colonies. Europe pays hemp bounties.
1631 Hemp used as money throughout American colonies.
1776 American 'Declaration of Independence' drafted on hemp paper.
1791 President Washington sets duties on hemp to encourage domestic industry; Jefferson calls hemp "a necessity", and urges farmers to grow hemp instead of tobacco.
1801 Certain premiums offered to encourage the cultivation of hemp in Upper and Lower Canada.
1800's Australia survives two prolonged famines by eating virtually nothing but hemp seed for protein and hemp leaves for roughage.
1850's Petrochemical age begins. Toxic sulfite and chlorine processes make paper from trees, steamships replace sails, tropical fibres introduced.
1930's New machines invented to break hemp, process the fibre, and convert pulp or hurds into paper, plastics, etc. - Racist fears of Mexicans, Asians, and African Americans leads to outcry for cannabis to be outlawed.
1935 Compressed agricultural fibreboard invented in Sweden.
1937 Marijuana Tax Act forbids hemp farming in the US. -Dupont files patent for nylon.
1938 Canada prohibits production of hemp under Opium And Narcotics Control Act.
1941 Henry Ford makes car fabricated and fueled by hemp.
1943 Hemp For Victory program urges farmers to grow hemp.
1955 Hemp farming again banned.
1961 The Canadian Narcotics Control Act(CNCA) allowed Cannabis to be grown, at the discretion ofthe Health Minister, for research purposes only.
1992 Australia licences hemp farming.
1993 England eases restriction on hemp farming. News media declare hemp clothes and cannabis leaf logo hottest new fashion.
1994 Under the CNCA, one license was granted to a Canadian company, Hempline Inc., to grow hemp experimentally in Canada under the strict supervision of the authorities.
1996 The Canadian federal government passed Bill C8 stating that mature hemp stalks are exemptfrom the list of controlled substances.
1998 The Canadian government legalizes the commercial growth of industrial hemp. see News - February 27, 1998

Local History:
http://www.thehia.org/history/history.htm

Gun24
06-03-2007, 05:46 PM
That's a nice reasonable response. Very informative even if Canada stands out in the end. Any wonder they have better health care?
Best I got would be this Mary J Stamp http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp
Although the truth in how hemp helped America is fun, it's a history lesson, looking back not foward. Big words like Constantinopolitanus hurt our monkey heads before moving onto picturing Keanu Reeves. You can't text message all that over a phone or apply emotional content overall.

Forget all that crusade for appeal, I know you were offering info not an opinion. Great contribution. Thank you. :)

Bryan
06-03-2007, 07:18 PM
I would like to see how others would mold this topic for the American people as this is a business issue looking all to liberal(hippy).

I'm no expert on this issue but I agree this is a perception problem in part because of the Dr. Paul = libertarian = drug use perception. So that needs to be fought against. One key I would say is to always say "industrial hemp" and never just "hemp". Maybe it just needs a catchy marketing term or just call it "IH". Silly but sometimes it matters.

Welcome to the forum- that is a great fact about your Lake Jackson status.

Gun24
06-03-2007, 09:56 PM
tvym

IH is weak... Fiber is too general... Most items plant related (stems,seeds,bud) will be seen with pot affiliates. Have to separate from drug use as a new product. Using Carpet to Nylon or Berber as an example for myself atm. Odd, yet has play. An idustrial product needs an industrial name. If we can get something like that, that would be a help in coming months as it could imply entrepreneurial tendencies to a slacker's obsession. Soft belly subject that could get a backbone, kinda why I'm spearheading this while not being a drug user. I'll move on soon. Probably heading onto IRS plans of engagement.