PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear War

mysticgeek
06-21-2009, 11:13 AM
In this hypothetical scenario let's assume Dr. Paul is President. Russia decides to make a preemptive nuclear strike against America. Will Ron launch a retaliatory nuclear strike?

muh_roads
06-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Just-war theory of Christianity dictates yes he would. Not sure if he would use nukes though...

EDIT: Why would Russia attack us? They would probably love America more if Paul was President. Paul hates NATO just as much as Russia does.

rpfan2008
06-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Nobody should attack any country with 2nd strike capability. It's useless.

mysticgeek
06-21-2009, 11:29 AM
I am just throwing out a hypothetical for discussion .... I am curious what Dr. Paul's reaction is such a situation would be. I guess I have not seen a whole lot of information on it.

I know if say Pakistan used a nuke on India ... nothing would happen because it is not our business. But a direct nuke attack on the US? Would he use nukes as retaliatory response or would he go about it in a different way?

sparebulb
06-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Russia has nukes to keep itself safe from attack, just like we do. What makes you think that Russia would push the button now when they have been quite reasonable and restrained with their nuclear capability towards the US for 50+ years? Have you been watching/listening to neo-con media?

mysticgeek
06-21-2009, 11:53 AM
WOw .... look ... this is a hypothetical situation that I thought would be interesting for discussion .... I know there is no imminent threat ... I don't think Russia is going to do it at all. What part of hypothetical do you not get?

I am looking for a discussion on what the freedom philosophy states about a nuclear attack on the nation.

sparebulb
06-21-2009, 11:56 AM
I think the better question would be whether President Paul should trust that the military handlers are telling him the truth that there is actually an incoming threat. I would imagine that the President is surrounded by people with their own agendas.

tangent4ronpaul
06-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Paul has stated several times that we aught to downsize the military and leave a handful of boomers (subs w/ nukes) as a deterrent. So, yes - push come to shove, he'd launch.

-t

lynnf
06-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Paul has stated several times that we aught to downsize the military and leave a handful of boomers (subs w/ nukes) as a deterrent. So, yes - push come to shove, he'd launch.

-t

as further corroboration, he voted to invade Afghanistan.

lynn

Golding
06-21-2009, 06:28 PM
There would probably be stronger at-home defense systems with what gets saved from not having military spread abroad, so the imminent danger of a preemptive strike should not need to be such a drastic issue. in the face of a preemptive strike, he would probably be swift to get a war declaration from Congress. It doesn't take too long to get a war declaration from Congress if the threat is legitimate. FDR got his in a day.

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-22-2009, 12:33 AM
Why do so many people hate on Russia? It's disgusting.

mysticgeek
06-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Why do so many people hate on Russia? It's disgusting.

I love Russia! So insert any country in there ... Canada ... India ... whoever ...

The main point I am trying to get at is if RP would use nukes in a retaliatory strike if we were attacked.

StilesBC
06-22-2009, 11:03 AM
I don't see the problem with hypothetical discussions.

But I understand why some get in a tizzy when it is mentioned. Hypotheticals are used continuously by neo-cons and democrat war-hawks alike as means to justify all sorts of insanities.

Better to phrase it like, "A libertarian president of X country is attacked with a nuclear weapon by Y country. Does he retaliate and how?" Keeps the emotion out of it.

ctiger2
06-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Silly question. Of course he would. Defending the country is the #1 priority of the Federal Govt. Let's hope it never happens.

DapperDan
06-22-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm sure it's a likely possibility as it would be defending the country although alternatives could be approached to MAD. I agree with tiger, I would hope it NEVER happens.

RM918
06-22-2009, 12:53 PM
He'd defend the country - literally, not by invading people who weren't involved or who only have a tenuous thread of evidence to connect them.

But it wouldn't matter, because we'd all be seriously hosed no matter who's in charge.

Mattsa
06-22-2009, 01:02 PM
In this hypothetical scenario let's assume Dr. Paul is President. Russia decides to make a preemptive nuclear strike against America. Will Ron launch a retaliatory nuclear strike?

It's not going to happen

So relax!

America's biggest enemies right now ...........are American and European bankers, politcians and industrialists, NOT Russians

And the reason why America is so fucked up is because nobody can see it.